Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Went to biglots today to get the princess cat litter, and they had some short expiry granola bars for half off their usual low prices. I bought ten boxes each of two kinds. Thinking about going back tomorrow for the rest :^D

edit:
Forgot, I also got a new to me boonie hat, and a usb powered "retro" fan from goodwill. I'm sure the fan sucks(maybe I have it backward?), but it'll be a good sight gag for my desk at work.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I totally forgot that Friday was pay day. I checked my bank and my cheque was like 3 grand! That's the biggest cheque I've seen in a very long time. It all evens out in the end because the next one is going to be tiny, but it's still crazy to see that much all at once. It has to do with the way my schedule was, I worked a lot for the first part of the schedule, the last part I work like 2 days. (scheduled are 4 weeks) Next cheque is going to be like 200 bucks lol.

Still nice to see a big reserve in the bank though, for the longest time I was constantly having to take from the credit line only to pay it off, then take again etc. My tax return was the bump I needed to get out of that cycle.

Reactions: Kaido

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My favorite pair of headphones are the Beyer Dynamic T90's and I broke them tripping over the cable and cracked the headband apparatus. Well I sent them off for repair a couple months back and they got back today. So nice listening to them again. #anti-firstworldproblems

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Called one of my deadbeats from my cell. She's due from Oct/2016. She didn't recognize the # so she called me back. I scolded her ass.:D I probably still won't get paid but there isn't a doubt about my opinion of her and she's not likely to forget it anytime soon.

I feel better. Thanks for listening.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I got a library card. Did not realize how much digital content they have until boomerang mentioned it. Adios kindle unlimited. My last card looked like this....

46795219-Old-Paper-Library-Card-with-Copy-Space-Isolated-on-White-Background--Stock-Photo.jpg

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Wife told me I can get THIS next time Menards has their 11% off sale and I can use my lowes 10% off coupon as well to bring the price down. It's a home depot purchase, but any time Menards has their 11% off rebate going on, Home Depot matches it for all their items in the form of a mail in rebate gift card and they accept lowes coupons as well. I called in to check this specifically. I might just pick it up this weekend though because I'm all excited about it. I've been using 3 craftsman smaller upright tool chests spread across the garage and they are a mess. I've wanted a large chest like this for a long time and the price is right. A 10% coupon negates sales tax, so it will be right under $700. I picked THIS up last week when it was on sale for $200 and love it.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Called one of my deadbeats from my cell. She's due from Oct/2016. She didn't recognize the # so she called me back. I scolded her ass.:D I probably still won't get paid but there isn't a doubt about my opinion of her and she's not likely to forget it anytime soon.

I feel better. Thanks for listening.
A scene from Bugsy comes to mind.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Happy day! My amazon order came a day early so I got a glass screen protector on my phone to replace the functional, but crappy plastic that comes with the otterbox defender. I'm also digging the morakniv companion. It's a solid blade, and a fantastic bargain at ~$12. It might replace my marttiini arctic circle for work use. Haven't tried the wifi adapter yet, but I'm sure it's fine, and paracord is paracord. I'm sure it's great. What a wonderful day.

edit:
here's my work knives, and part of a pussy...

TiR9KPt.jpg

the od & black knife is my new one, and it may take the place of the wood handled knife.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I got a happy meal! And Nintendo toys!!

KpJ40Me.jpg

I also entered into the free Switch with mario kart bundle sweepstakes, even though I know deep down that I won't win. :(

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I like your style Lxskllr. Here's my collection. I have the sapphire Swiss champ. I wanted to be unique. The pen is a tactical pen. Great for self defense and smashing a car window if the need should arrive. I carry it with me where ever I go. Not the knives though. If I need to defend myself with a knife I need to be properly trained. They take it from you and your ass is fucked harder than a varsity cheerleader. HAHA

lxRYwC7.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like your style Lxskllr. Here's my collection. I have the sapphire Swiss champ. I wanted to be unique. The pen is a tactical pen. Great for self defense and smashing a car window if the need should arrive. I carry it with me where ever I go. Not the knives though. If I need to defend myself with a knife I need to be properly trained. They take it from you and your ass is fucked harder than a varsity cheerleader. HAHA

lxRYwC7.jpg
I have an estwing tomahawk I bought just cause I thought it was neat. I actually got to use it this past winter. Had to shoot topo, and I used the ax to chop through the ice to get to the ground. I have other tools that would work, but the estwing's light and easy to carry.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Do you use a GPS in your job or just a topomap? Been a while since I learned how to find myself on a topo within 10 meters. I learned in high school JROTC which was about 20 years ago.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Today I picked up a Sony PVM-14M2U off Craigslist for $25! It's in near mint condition. Now I just need to RGB mod my old consoles.

Reactions: Ken g6

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Do you use a GPS in your job or just a topomap? Been a while since I learned how to find myself on a topo within 10 meters. I learned in high school JROTC which was about 20 years ago.
We've done gps in the past, but not so much anymore. We were early adopters, and other companies got us to do gps work for them. Now the firmware's(presumably the ephemeris) out of date on the recievers, and they're unsupported, so paperweights. We also have a tracker for coarse measurement, but that doesn't get used much. A cell phone is just as accurate really, but not as verifiable.

Virtually 100% of my work is done with a total station(think transit, but all digital, and with distance measurement built in). I mostly operate it robotically by myself, but sometimes work with the boss on jobs that are a pita(heavy woods, and very long distances).

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The appraisal on our house that we're selling came in right on target. Closing day is in sight.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I woke up on the right side of the dirt...and without a toe tag...doesn't get better than that...

Reactions: devBunny

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I know, we caught you on camera:

45673af04c15574e01516c6913dfed4b.jpg

Reminds me of a guy in the Dominican Republic that drives around on one of those moped with a washer on the back, he'll go from house to house renting that washer, watching him hold on to that washer with one hand while driving with the other and weaving in and out of traffic is an amazing thing to watch.

Kinda like this

motoconcho5.jpg

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I had to have a retaining wall, 2 walkways and 2 porches replaced. Man, what mess. But it's finally coming together and looks pretty nice. Will definitely improve the property value. Of course the outlay hurts but it wasn't like I had a choice in the matter. Everything was crumbling around me.