Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I did some code optimizations to my game server and for once it actually went really smooth. Years ago I converted my Ultima Online server from flat file to MySQL but there was some stuff that was not that efficiently done, so I improved it recently. Also fixed a bunch of issues where if the server happens to crash at a critical moment, it corrupts the database. Just feeling great that my code is actually working as intended. :p

Drop database if exist

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Pinball machine delivered! Going to set it up tonight after work.
It's used? I've always wanted one. AFAIK they don't make them anymore, but a lot of the old ones if in good condition would be fabulous.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It's used? I've always wanted one. AFAIK they don't make them anymore, but a lot of the old ones if in good condition would be fabulous.

Some companies, mainly Stern, are still putting out brand new machines with original themes (Metallica, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.). Dialed In is a very popular new one. They all seem to have these big LCD screens on the backbox and/or playfield. Big turn off for me but the games are a lot of fun.

The Attack from Mars that I got is brand spanking new! Check out my thread here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/the-martians-have-landed-or.2554072

This is Chicago Gaming Company's second remake; the first was Medieval Madness. They're doing Monster Bash next. Exactly the same as the original except all lighting has been upgraded to LED, larger display (and in color; it's gorgeous), upgraded sound, shaker motor, and other small additions that add to the whole experience.

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/afm.php

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/mmr.php

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'm going to have to do laundry more often. I handle mine and the kids. I used to get nickles and quarters. Since he got a job last month, the cash flow has been fantastic. I clipped $3 one day last week and $7 today. woot.:D

Reactions: lxskllr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Our company had a UTV stolen a few weeks ago. It had been extensively modified for field work so it was "the only one like it in the world". One of our folks kept an eye on craigslist and there it was. He called the popo and the UTV is back in our yard.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Our company had a UTV stolen a few weeks ago. It had been extensively modified for field work so it was "the only one like it in the world". One of our folks kept an eye on craigslist and there it was. He called the popo and the UTV is back in our yard.

Dumb thieves are the best kind

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I may have mentioned it, don't remember but...My landscaper's employer had 2 trucks/trailers stolen with the equipment.

The trucks had GPS. :D 3 off to jail...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The thieves peeled the company logo off the hood but the outline is clearly visible as the paint around it had faded in the sun. :D

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Yesterday I got to "skip" work and fly in a twin-engine Cessna. Had to visit a customer ~5 hours away by car in order to do a firmware upgrade on a couple of systems they were testing out, so my boss (who bought a plane I think earlier this year) flew us over in about an hour. Also got a free lunch*!

*I guess there really are such things as free lunches after all...

Reactions: highland145

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yesterday I got to "skip" work and fly in a twin-engine Cessna. Had to visit a customer ~5 hours away by car in order to do a firmware upgrade on a couple of systems they were testing out, so my boss (who bought a plane I think earlier this year) flew us over in about an hour. Also got a free lunch*!

wait until the day he says drop your pants and bend over.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Can't give you 2 likes but...

like.

Reactions: snoopy7548

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I went to BB&B to pick up some boxes of coffee pods. The "$10 off when you spend $30" coupon they've been sending out is ideal for pods. Usually 3 boxes gets you a little over $30.

So I was surprised to see my total was $29. The things were on sale! I added a Twix bar and paid $20 in total.

I got three boxes for like $6 a box. Coffee will tase just a little sweeter.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
New billing cycle for my internet connection. I'm fast again for the next 3GB. You really notice the difference after using 2g for a couple weeks :^D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Didn't happen today, but recently... My snuff purveyor got Bernard back in stock. It was awol for a year due to EU nonsense, but they got it back. I made a paranoia buy 1.5 years ago, then packed it away in Talenti jars. It's not like I'm out, but it's good to know I won't have to fly to Germany to get more when I run out. Just cracked open some weiß blau to celebrate the coming of fall. First I've had since spring :^)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Winesap apples are in season! Yet another reason fall is the best time of year. Got some yesterday. Still could use some ripening time, but better than anything commonly available, even if young. Red delicious trees should be cut up for firewood. Make room for apples worth eating.

Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
aTbartD.png

Looks like I'll get to cut wood this weekend. Can't fuckin' wait! \o/

The cherry's coming down first. See if I can get my poulan running right, cause it's gonna be my climbing saw for the dead evergreen if I can get it going. Been waiting all summer for this :^)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
aTbartD.png

Looks like I'll get to cut wood this weekend. Can't fuckin' wait! \o/

The cherry's coming down first. See if I can get my poulan running right, cause it's gonna be my climbing saw for the dead evergreen if I can get it going. Been waiting all summer for this :^)
Strange man is strange.

:p