Retro gaming

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I think the Gamecube gets more out of emulation than any console ever.

Just like the Wii the textures are just good enough they are amazing at 1080p (the Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2 can't say that). Unlike the Wii you can improve the controller experience by using a 360 remote or Six Axis instead of that funky Gamecube remote.

Double Dash, or F-Zero at 1080p is mind blowingly awesome.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
I love bumping this thread, because it means I've found another great deal courtesy of Craigslist. Back in the day I had a Sega Genesis for all of 30 seconds and ended up selling for a TurboGrafx-16. What a mistake. This package I found on CL and offered $60 for it. The seller took it, but when I saw the stuff in person I ended up giving him $70, because that's what he was originally asking for and I felt it was still completely worth it.

High Definition Graphics
DSCN0854.jpg

The games!
DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0859.jpg

DSCN0860.jpg

And he specifically pounted out this cable as being something special for the audio. I didn't quite get it. Any ideas?
DSCN0855.jpg

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I still have my Genesis and Sega CD. There's only a few games for it that I ever really liked. Gaires and Thunder Force 4 were a couple of them. I forget what games I still have for them other than Sherlock holmes, WIlly Beamish, Arcade pack and one of the Golden Axes. Haven't looked at them in years.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I've got my retro game systems all hooked up now. Connected to my old 40'' rear projection CRT. Spent a good couple hours trying to get that TV calibrated last night but I can't get the blue CRT to focus properly. I think something's wrong with the lens.

Current collection:

Genesis Model 2 connected with composite
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Gunstar Heroes
-Aladdin
-Zombies Ate my Neighbors.

Goal for this system is to get an Everdrive to play some of the rarer, more expensive games.

Nintendo 64 connected with composite
-Ocarina of Time
-Majora's Mask
-Rogue Squadrom
-Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

PlayStation 2 connected via component
-Gran Turismo 4
-Sonic Collection
-God of War 1 & 2
-Okami
-Jak II
-Descent (PS1)

Descent is my only PS1 game. Unfortunately, the disc won't boot. Runs through the logos and then just freezes. I'm not sure what's wrong with it because it doesn't look too badly scratched.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
Descent is my only PS1 game. Unfortunately, the disc won't boot. Runs through the logos and then just freezes. I'm not sure what's wrong with it because it doesn't look too badly scratched.

I have a memory of playing Descent through VR goggles at a museum expo of some kind. It was a kind of tech demonstration. The guy running it chastised me for jamming the joystick too much.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I have a memory of playing Descent through VR goggles at a museum expo of some kind. It was a kind of tech demonstration. The guy running it chastised me for jamming the joystick too much.

I played it on Mac shortly after it came out. Friend had it. It's an early 3D flying shoot-em-up. Was a lot of fun. I saw the game at a thrift store a couple years ago and bought it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I remember playing descent on my old pc with a matrox Millennium card. Was blown away by it then.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Speaking of Descent, I remember playing Sewer Shark on SegaCD..except it's nothing like Descent so no clue why I said that. FMV graphics ftw!

Sgraffite

Jul 4, 2001
Descent was really impressive for it's time. It was full 3D as far as I know, not 2D like Doom, or 2.5D like Duke Nukem 3D. It also had no concept of up or down as you are in a space mine, which helped you get lost quickly.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Emulators are slow and jerky for starters.

And as far as SNES goes there is NO emulator whatsoever to this day that can emulate the SNES SPC700 sound chip properly or do it any justice. Example: the wind sound at the Square Logo on Secret of Mana startup is all fucked up on every emulator.

I even notice this on PS1 games played on PS2.

Take FF7 for example running on a PS2. The title screen text is very jerky as it scrolls. Smooth as butter on a original PS1. Try getting over 4000+ pts or whatever it is on Gold Saucer on the roller coaster ride on a PS2... controls feel laggy and not 1:1 and the frame rate is too jerky. When I went for my perfect save file run, I had to dig out my PS1 for that part. Soooo sooooo much better.

I thought it might be the scaler in my AE4000 projector upconverting to 1080p over component even though I turned off frame creation, put it on game mode pass through with no processing, etc. No change. Tried it on a CRT via composite just to see, sure enough same problem. When I hooked up the PS1, it was 3x smoother.

Xenogears as well, all sorts of glitches on the PS2. And this is official hardware emulation even.

It's not even close to the same. Emulation = meh.

Have you tried Higane (formerly "BSNES")? It was made with an emphasis on 100% accuracy. I downloaded the 64-bit version on my friend's Win7 64-bit Core2 Duo system today and the "accurate" executable ran at about 50%-60% speed while the computer's CPU was maxed out. Had to run the "balanced" executable.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I love bumping this thread, because it means I've found another great deal courtesy of Craigslist. Back in the day I had a Sega Genesis for all of 30 seconds and ended up selling for a TurboGrafx-16. What a mistake. This package I found on CL and offered $60 for it. The seller took it, but when I saw the stuff in person I ended up giving him $70, because that's what he was originally asking for and I felt it was still completely worth it.

High Definition Graphics
DSCN0854.jpg

The games!
DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0859.jpg

DSCN0860.jpg

And he specifically pounted out this cable as being something special for the audio. I didn't quite get it. Any ideas?
DSCN0855.jpg
I think I have an even more-rare stereo composite A/V cable for the first model Genesis. It's official first party Sega brand. I think I bought more than one from a flea market seller that had them brand new and unused. I don't think I ever got around to trying it though.

Rocket Knight Adventures was a great game. I borrowed my friend's Genesis back in the '90s and completed the game.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I've got my retro game systems all hooked up now. Connected to my old 40'' rear projection CRT. Spent a good couple hours trying to get that TV calibrated last night but I can't get the blue CRT to focus properly. I think something's wrong with the lens.

Current collection:

Genesis Model 2 connected with composite
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Gunstar Heroes
-Aladdin
-Zombies Ate my Neighbors.

Goal for this system is to get an Everdrive to play some of the rarer, more expensive games.

Nintendo 64 connected with composite
-Ocarina of Time
-Majora's Mask
-Rogue Squadrom
-Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

PlayStation 2 connected via component
-Gran Turismo 4
-Sonic Collection
-God of War 1 & 2
-Okami
-Jak II
-Descent (PS1)

Guessing the PS1 is the issue instead of the disc. Maybe a dirty / malfunctioning laser.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Guessing the PS1 is the issue instead of the disc. Maybe a dirty / malfunctioning laser.

It boots through thr logos on my PS2 and my PS3 just says "f-this" and goes home. Definitely a read issue with the disc itself. Will have to get it ground down or something. Or just find another copy.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
It boots through thr logos on my PS2 and my PS3 just says "f-this" and goes home. Definitely a read issue with the disc itself. Will have to get it ground down or something. Or just find another copy.

Possible laser rot.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I played Descent 1 & 2 over modem connection way back in the day. Was pretty amazing to just fly wherever and have someone else there too.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Descent. Loved that game. I had a friend in high school and we would dial each other up and play it over the telephone line. Then mom would pick up the phone and ruin the connection. Danggit, mom! So much fun.

I'm loving that Genesis. Landstalker was my favorite game for that system, and I still play it every couple of years (emulated).

Sep 29, 2004
Regarding that Sega cable.

The big deal back in the day was RF versus A/V cables. RF sucked compared to having a dedicated video cable. I think the Genesis came with the RF cable but you had to buy the A/V cable so many people did not have it.

This is if memory serves correct.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Possible laser rot.

Possibly. Would explain it. Meh, GOG has both Descent 1 & 2 for $10. Either that or I can just play it with an emulator.

Regarding that Sega cable.

The big deal back in the day was RF versus A/V cables. RF sucked compared to having a dedicated video cable. I think the Genesis came with the RF cable but you had to buy the A/V cable so many people did not have it.

This is if memory serves correct.

You would be correct good sir. They only shipped with the RF boxes. I guess there were still a lot of TVs back then that didn't have composite inputs. I did have the AV cable for mine though.

Composite works better because it's not trying to ram audio and video down the same pipe. S-Video is even better because it isolated colour and luminescence into two separate channels. Less interference, better image. Unfortunately, the Genesis doesn't support it without modding.

The Genesis does support RGB output though via SCART. There are boxes you can get to convert the signal to HDMI. Though the decent ones suitable for gaming can get quite expensive.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I think I have an even more-rare stereo composite A/V cable for the first model Genesis. It's official first party Sega brand. I think I bought more than one from a flea market seller that had them brand new and unused. I don't think I ever got around to trying it though.

This is absolutely not possible. The Model 1 Genesis did not output stereo audio via the rear AV jack. The only way to get stereo on a Model 1 is with the 3.5mm jack in the front.

The Model 2 does have stereo on the rear.

All RGB SCART cables meant for Model 1 with a full size DIN connector have a little 12" or so 3.5mm plug pigtail on the console side for that reason. The mini-DIN version for the Model 2 does not.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This is absolutely not possible. The Model 1 Genesis did not output stereo audio via the rear AV jack. The only way to get stereo on a Model 1 is with the 3.5mm jack in the front.

The Model 2 does have stereo on the rear.

All RGB SCART cables meant for Model 1 with a full size DIN connector have a little 12" or so 3.5mm plug pigtail on the console side for that reason. The mini-DIN version for the Model 2 does not.
I'll have to dig it up, but I vaguely remember being excited to find those because it appeared to be stereo and appeared to be for the model 1. Perhaps there was an unused pin in the DIN connector and some revision of the model 1 used it for an extra sound channel...?

I guess I could be wrong. Maybe it was for the model 2. I'll try to remember to post back here when I come across it...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'll have to dig it up, but I vaguely remember being excited to find those because it appeared to be stereo and appeared to be for the model 1. Perhaps there was an unused pin in the DIN connector and some revision of the model 1 used it for an extra sound channel...?

I guess I could be wrong. Maybe it was for the model 2. I'll try to remember to post back here when I come across it...

I remember a bit more clearly:
You found new retail boxed official Sega Genesis Stereo AV cables for model 2 (we still have at least one) AND some bag-only cables that appeared to be composite cables for the model 1. We tested and they did, indeed, work on the model one, though I don't think we really used it or anything. I do not think they had a second audio cable. If they did then it could have been a duplicate mono channel or a cable intended for something else that just happened to work (still would be mono).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just ordered a RGB modded N64. My original N64 suffered water damage at college (long story involving the dorm's sprinklers going off 2 floors above my room). It still "worked" but would randomly reboot after that incident.

I got it from the same guy who I purchased a RGB modded SNES-mini a couple months back. He did a really nice job on the SNES-mini so I figured his N64s would be just as good (and considering it is typically an easy mod on the N64 I suspect it will be nice).

How do most of you connect your RGB systems to your TV's? I have a XRGB mini Framemeister that I use to convert/upscale to HDMI which connects to my TV. I am looking possibly for a SCART switch/selector so I don't have to constantly reconfigure everything for each system (well, I would still need to configure the framemeister). I have to say that I am really impressed with how well it works connecting to a LCD TV (now grant it, I am not having it upscale to 1080p, but simply have it do even multiple pixel scaling and use blackbars to fill the top/sides, and I typically add the scanlines back for 16bit and lower systems).

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Just ordered a RGB modded N64. My original N64 suffered water damage at college (long story involving the dorm's sprinklers going off 2 floors above my room). It still "worked" but would randomly reboot after that incident.

I got it from the same guy who I purchased a RGB modded SNES-mini a couple months back. He did a really nice job on the SNES-mini so I figured his N64s would be just as good (and considering it is typically an easy mod on the N64 I suspect it will be nice).

How do most of you connect your RGB systems to your TV's? I have a XRGB mini Framemeister that I use to convert/upscale to HDMI which connects to my TV. I am looking possibly for a SCART switch/selector so I don't have to constantly reconfigure everything for each system (well, I would still need to configure the framemeister). I have to say that I am really impressed with how well it works connecting to a LCD TV (now grant it, I am not having it upscale to 1080p, but simply have it do even multiple pixel scaling and use blackbars to fill the top/sides, and I typically add the scanlines back for 16bit and lower systems).
Was that yours that GameTechUS RGB modded on YouTube recently?

Last edited: