rest more between sets to get more reps, or less rest and less reps

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BlahBlahYouToo, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BlahBlahYouToo

i weigh 180.

2. BlahBlahYouToo

it's not actually muscular fatigue that's holding me back.
    it's my heart and lungs that are taking minutes to recover. yeah I know, my cardio sucks.

3. SociallyChallenged

Technically, the reason you feel it so much in your lungs is because your muscles aren't efficient at what they do. In human physiology, healthy lungs are not the limited factor with activity (except in the most elite of athletes). If your muscles aren't trained well, they don't utilize oxidative pathways well. Instead, they use less efficient glycolytic (aerobic and anaerobic) pathways, which produce more CO2. Because of that, your lungs must let off more CO2 and buffer the acidity. That's why it feels like your lungs are the limiting factor, but in reality they just feel like crap because your muscles aren't as efficient as they could be. Need to work on endurance of those muscle groups that affect you the most if this is a problem you want to fix.

4. Zivic

Zivic Diamond Member

I would have to slow things down to get to 60 minutes.

the weights I lift, the number of lifts/sets, I can be done in as little as 30 minutes. Going longer doesn't mean you get a better workout. It more likely means you are doing less meaningful lifts to fill up the time.