Republican promises to be Obama's "worst nightmare"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maybe he'll be running mate to the Sarah! in 2012... here's hoping, and here's hoping that the most rightwing whackadoodle of the bunch gets the RNC chairmanship...

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You know, if people would get down to the task of running and improving this country, vs. promising to be someone's "worst nightmare", they might actually get something accomplished. When will our people in office grow the fuck up and stop fighting like kiddies?

Oh, wait...I forgot. Morons elect morons.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: TheRedUnderURBed
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: Evan
The more conservative they are, the more likely Americans continue voting for Dems.

Right. Because America is so inline with liberal politics.

So in love with it, that "progressive" is now used to soften it. :laugh:

Since you mention it I was just reading this interesting article, seems what talk radio has been banking on (them brainwashing America into leaning more right) has failed.

The Progressive Majority:
Why a Conservative America is a Myth

Media perceptions and past Republican electoral successes notwithstanding, Americans are progressive across a wide range of controversial issues, and they're growing more progressive all the time.

Liberal is just a term, sure hate radio has slandered it for over a decade, but who cares? It stops nothing, time is always on the side of progressives it seems.

(Yes I know bill o'lielly hates media matters, but everyone hates him too, and MM tries to back their stuff up, unlike BO, so take the report as you will.)

Nice find and a well researched article which cites verifiable sources.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The more conservative they are, the more likely Americans continue voting for Dems.

On most things they are. Americans support progressive taxation by a large margin, they support universal health care by a large margin, a majority support abortion rights, most want to end the war in Iraq, etc... etc. If you actually go issue by issue what would be considered the 'liberal' position on most contentious ones significantly favors the 'liberal' side.

Of course that means there are plenty of reasons to indict the Democrats for not winning elections more often with the issues on their side, but that's a different discussion.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Obama?s stimulus plan would create government jobs, Blackwell argued, and government workers tend to vote Democrat. He called it "political mischief."

Yes, that is clearly Obama's master plan. :/

The more money taken from your employer, the more money from government you'll require.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
It shouldn't be too hard to dismiss anything this guy says considering where he now publicly stands. This is a shame considering we need a real opposition to keep Obama in check.

BTW, for those not keeping count, this is the second RNC candidate to pledge his hate for Obama. These guys come straight out of a comic book.

link

RNC candidates turn up the partisan heat on Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) ? Despite the climate of national goodwill surrounding Barack Obama as he prepares to take the oath of office, two of the candidates vying to lead the Republican National Committee unleashed harsh attacks against the president-elect on Friday.

Katon Dawson, the chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party, promised in a new a YouTube message to be Obama's "worst nightmare" and said it would be the party?s mission for the next four years to "expose" the Democrats for what they "want to do to this country."

"I can assure you that Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid will understand that Katon Dawson will become their worst nightmare," he says in the video. "We will expose them at every turn for what they are doing to the American public."

Dawson defended his tough talk as the duty of a party leader.

"Whether you're the chairman of the state party or the national committee, your job is to hold Democrats accountable in every way," he told CNN. "That doesn't mean you have to do it in a mean tone of voice or in a way that doesn't offer solutions."

Earlier in the day, former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, who has positioned himself as one of the most rigidly conservative contenders for the RNC's top job, published a column on Townhall.com accusing Obama's economic stimulus package of being a liberal "Trojan Horse" that has "serious flaws, some of which convey a partisan advantage."

Obama?s stimulus plan would create government jobs, Blackwell argued, and government workers tend to vote Democrat. He called it "political mischief."

"In 2008, Virginia went Democrat for the first time since 1964, and Mr. Obama won it by 130,000 votes," he wrote. "Creating 600,000 new jobs might help cement Virginia in the Democrat column, making it harder for Republicans to retake the White House."

The 168 members of the RNC will elect a new chairman at the end of the month at their annual winter meeting in Washington.

Dawson and Blackwell have four more rivals in the race: incumbent RNC Chairman Mike Duncan, Michigan GOP chairman Saul Anuzis, former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele and former Tennessee GOP chair Chip Saltsman.

Opposition does not equal hate.
Disagreement does not equal hate.

Just because someone is not drinking the Kool-Aid does not automatically imply that they hate.

You should lose that word, you use it far too frequently, most often inappropriately.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Dissent is only patriotic when Republicans are in power...at all other times: OBEY...

Move On

.org

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Dissent is only patriotic when Republicans are in power...at all other times: OBEY...

Move On

.org

You have no clue or idea what went down...sheeese another Republican wishing that this administration fails....

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Since you mention it I was just reading this interesting article, seems what talk radio has been banking on (them brainwashing America into leaning more right) has failed.

The Progressive Majority:
Why a Conservative America is a Myth

Media perceptions and past Republican electoral successes notwithstanding, Americans are progressive across a wide range of controversial issues, and they're growing more progressive all the time.

So how exactly does that explain Proposition 8 passing in California, the progressives' Disney World?

Americans are neither predominantly liberal nor conservative, but an odd, frequently inconsistent, mix of both. And this Katon Dawson individual sounds like an absolute idiot. The best thing the GOP can do right now is do nothing, let the $h-t continue to hit the fan, and start blaming the Dems for everything in two years.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Prop 8 was a very well-funded disinformation campaign, the signs and ads were at the least very misleading.
Little did awake Californians realize how much money and effort was put into the hate until after, which is why it will not last.

Nov 30, 2006
Why is everyone's panties in a bunch over someone who happens to disagree with Obama's agenda be it a low level Republican, a talk show host, or anyone for that matter? This hypersensitivity to criticism is very curious...I don't get it. Seriously...can someone explain this to me?

Sep 12, 2004
Doesn't seem all that different from the foot stomping an juvenile posturing from the Democratic end of the spectrum after 2000.

How soon people forget. If the D's want to focus on something they should focus on themselves to make sure they get it right. Keep in mind that the reason they have power right now is not because they are the better alternative. It's because they are the less shitty alternative, at the moment. It won't take too many screwups to change that either.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Prop 8 was a very well-funded disinformation campaign, the signs and ads were at the least very misleading.
Little did awake Californians realize how much money and effort was put into the hate until after, which is why it will not last.

The Black vote sunk Prop 8 opposition. Irony at its finest.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Why is everyone's panties in a bunch over someone who happens to disagree with Obama's agenda be it a low level Republican, a talk show host, or anyone for that matter? This hypersensitivity to criticism is very curious...I don't get it. Seriously...can someone explain this to me?

yeah, I thought dissent was the highest form of patriotism... or is that only when a (R) is in charge...

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: gingermeggs
I wish I was the guy that popped Pelosi's cherry, I reckon she would of been hot stuff at 21yo.

I'd hit it now ...... course only from behind :)

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Those are some real hard-core progressives who are so easily swayed by political ads. I'm sure that with $10,000 and Karl Rove to run your ad campaign, you can also get the staff at Handgun Control to become lifetime NRA members!

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Like Obama or hate him, this is not the way to help the Republican party recover. It will most likely backfire. At best, it will have little to no effect at all.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Like Obama or hate him, this is not the way to help the Republican party recover. It will most likely backfire. At best, it will have little to no effect at all.

Obama has already agreed with the republicans on the contraception issue. So it clearly helps to have dialog and air your disagreements and has had an effect.

Dissent helped the Democrats through the Bush years why cant it help the Republicans? Especially since they are basing some of it on traditional party values.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87

Obama has already agreed with the republicans on the contraception issue. So it clearly helps to have dialog and air your disagreements and has had an effect.

Dissent helped the Democrats through the Bush years why cant it help the Republicans? Especially since they are basing some of it on traditional party values.

Traditional values of a party that has just been thrown out of power by the voters. Obama didn't agree with Republicans on contraception issue, he simply moved it out of the stimulus bill to move it forward. It will be brought back in another bill.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

I am not interested in helping Republicans. I am interested in helping America. If Republicans want to try to help both America and their party then what they need to do is start reforming their party so that the old values they used to stand behind are backed by genuine action, but done in a more modern way so to speak. Coupling that sort of reform with pointing out the fallacies in Obama's ways is one thing. Not working towards a reform of their party while only using dissent and slandering to try and win votes in the future is not going to help this country.

I happen to side with Dems more than I do with Repubs in regards to many issues, but that doesn't mean that I do not understand and respect how important the Republican party is when it comes to the checks and balances in this country. Both parties have strengths and weaknesses. Together, they make this country an awesome place to live. Together, they succeed in protecting our common welfare and allow us to pursuit happiness. However, when one of those parties stops playing their role effectively then we have a big problem as a country. Our system of checks and balances takes a huge hit.

Also, just so we are clear, Obama only agreed with the Repubs on the contraception issue because it was a part of the stimulus package. He did not necessarily agree with them on the idea of providing funding to the program period. I suspect we will see that come out again and hopefully done in the right way. Obama did the right thing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp

Traditional values of a party that has just been thrown out of power by the voters. Obama didn't agree with Republicans on contraception issue, he simply moved it out of the stimulus bill to move it forward. It will be brought back in another bill.

Which is fine because it shouldnt have been in a "stimulus" package which was the point of the republicans.