Republican investigated for providing free medical service

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Text

WTF? How do they have the right to tell the guy what he can and can't do as charity?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
me, butterbean and socio are gonna steal craig's car, roll mcowan for milk money, then hunt this guy down and take his "contract with america" card away... dam traitors...

it is pretty silly that the campaigners can miss as much work as they want and this schlub can't isn't supposed to stay up on his civvy job...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: cubeless
me, butterbean and socio are gonna steal craig's car, roll mcowan for milk money, then hunt this guy down and take his "contract with america" card away... dam traitors...

it is pretty silly that the campaigners can miss as much work as they want and this schlub can't isn't supposed to stay up on his civvy job...

Republicans just can't catch a break these days eh?

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
we had to come up with a nice bad guy to counteract the stevens thing... throw us a frikkin' bone here...

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Man, are you telling me that with all the freakin' scum in the senate (crooks, thieves, corrupt officials etc), the senate ethics group has nothing better to do than go after a guy who's donating his services to deliver children for free with no strings attached? The ethics committee needs to be investigated if they think they have nothing better to be doing.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: XMan
Text

WTF? How do they have the right to tell the guy what he can and can't do as charity?

Because a doctor is one of the professions banned as a member of the senate.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: cubeless

You sure you want to ride with a guy that says "Sieg Heil" eve.... how silly of me of course you are.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Tom Coburn is one stand up man of principle. I can't believe this is a serious effort on the ethics committee's part.

I may not be on the same page all the time with Sen Coburn, but I fiercely admire his personal courage and ethics. :thumbsup:

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
Tom Coburn is one stand up man of principle. I can't believe this is a serious effort on the ethics committee's part.

I may not be on the same page all the time with Sen Coburn, but I fiercely admire his personal courage and ethics. :thumbsup:

'No' is a principle?

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

'No' is a principle?

Yes, saying "no" when they tell you to stop doing something that you know is the right thing to do is standing up for a principle.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

'No' is a principle?

He compromises when compromise is necessary. He firmly puts his foot down when things are too spendy. He seems to be doing things right. If all of our senators were this analytical instead of just allowing one another to slam through pork bill after pork bill, this country would be better off, and we wouldn't have slap dash bullshit like the patriot act.

This guy opposed the patriot act renewal, then went on meet the press to tell everyone why.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

'No' is a principle?
In this case, yes, it is. He is standing up against earmarks and shallowly considered spending bills.

To do this, he is holding up some legislation that I like. BUT, his underlying principle is clear and sound, and critically needed!

He is indeed a man of principle. Tom Coburn is a highly principled man. I don't have to agree with all his political views to see and appreciate this.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He is indeed a man of principle. Tom Coburn is a highly principled man. I don't have to agree with all his political views to see and appreciate this.

There's precious few people left who understand that. I can have great respect for someone and believe them to be highly principled and honorable even if I disagree with everything they believe.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I know nothing about Senator Coburn but what I read in the linked article but assuming that article is factually correct, Senator Coburn deserves commendations, not condemnations.

It's a huge perversion of logic to claim that delivering babies for free gives some unethical "fiduciary benefit" to the hospital he volunteers at.

In a world where Senator Stevens' outright graft is publically known for four years (at least) and the ethics committee still hasn't acted, plus all the other pushing of the ethics envelope routinely undertaken by many members of Congress, this situation is a huge abuse of the committee's powers.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Thump553
I know nothing about Senator Coburn but what I read in the linked article but assuming that article is factually correct, Senator Coburn deserves commendations, not condemnations.

It's a huge perversion of logic to claim that delivering babies for free gives some unethical "fiduciary benefit" to the hospital he volunteers at.

In a world where Senator Stevens' outright graft is publically known for four years (at least) and the ethics committee still hasn't acted, plus all the other pushing of the ethics envelope routinely undertaken by many members of Congress, this situation is a huge abuse of the committee's powers.

Like it or not it's been a senate rule since the beginning. And, similar to Stevens, he is deliberately breaking the rules of the senate.

While I can respect a man standing up for what he believes in, but the alternate view of that is stubborn or obstructionist. After all the job of the senate is to make laws not simply block them.

Here's more reading on him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Coburn

A few interesting extracts from the article:
- Coburn also objects to legal abortion in cases of rape
- In July 2007, Coburn criticized pork barrel spending fellow Senator Ben Nelson had inserted into the 2007 defense spending bill. Coburn alleged that the earmarks would benefit Nelson's son Patrick's employer with millions in federal dollars and that the situation violated terms of the Transparency Act, which was passed by the Senate but has not yet been voted on in the House. Nelson's spokesperson said the Senator did nothing wrong.[21] At that time, newspapers in Nebraska and Oklahoma noted that Coburn failed to blast very similar earmarks that benefited Oklahoma.
-"Lesbianism is so rampant in some of the schools in Southeast Oklahoma that they'll only let one girl go to the bathroom. Now think about it."

Suggest reading the section on Whistleblowers in the article. He placed a hold on a whistleblower protection act but encourages whistleblowers on his website.

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
Im not trying to be a jerk here and I think this guy is doing a great service but.... he is delivering babies for free which is great for that person in the hospital and I do see that it is a private hospital he is servicing these people at but where are the funds coming from that support his free service?

Aug 23, 2000

'No' is a principle?
In this case, yes, it is. He is standing up against earmarks and shallowly considered spending bills.

To do this, he is holding up some legislation that I like. BUT, his underlying principle is clear and sound, and critically needed!

Right, he can see past things like the Save our Children Act which ear marks some money to schools, ect, but has a 1 line rider for a blank check on funding congressional golf trips to Dubai.*

*Is not a real rider, but that's how a lot of bills work. They name it something and a cause that no one should be against, so they can add a line in the 100's of pages of BS to allow them to do something completely different than the original intent of the bill. The Dems love doing this.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
don't be trying to make the dems look smart... the repubs are just as big an offender on this...

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Gand1
Im not trying to be a jerk here and I think this guy is doing a great service but.... he is delivering babies for free which is great for that person in the hospital and I do see that it is a private hospital he is servicing these people at but where are the funds coming from that support his free service?

You have any kids?

Most doctors aren't employed, per se, by the hospital. When my son was born we got a seperate billing for the hospital room and the obstetrician's services. So probably what's going on is he is not billing the patients for OB services. They're probably still having to pay for the hospital room, medicine, nurses, etc.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: XMan
Text

Because a doctor is one of the professions banned as a member of the senate.

Are you sure about that?

Frist is a physician and a Senator.

Otherwise, the Senate ethics doesn't really want to pursue this, they're gonna regret it IMO.

Fern

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I'm real shocked to hear that the Senate is wasting it's time rather than dealing with the important issues... :roll:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
what is the fiduciary relationship of a doctor delivering babies at a hospital?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
what is the fiduciary relationship of a doctor delivering babies at a hospital?

I haven't been able to figure that out either. And being a CPA I'm pretty familiar with the term "fiduciary". That's one reason why say above this doesn't seem like a good idea for the Senate Ethics Committee. John Q Public isn't likely to understand it either, IMO all they're gonna see is a charitable physicians delivering babies for free and getting hassled over it.

Fern