Republican investigated for providing free medical service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: cubeless
me, butterbean and socio are gonna steal craig's car, roll mcowan for milk money, then hunt this guy down and take his "contract with america" card away... dam traitors...

it is pretty silly that the campaigners can miss as much work as they want and this schlub can't isn't supposed to stay up on his civvy job...

This cracked me up.

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: Gand1
Im not trying to be a jerk here and I think this guy is doing a great service but.... he is delivering babies for free which is great for that person in the hospital and I do see that it is a private hospital he is servicing these people at but where are the funds coming from that support his free service?

You have any kids?

Most doctors aren't employed, per se, by the hospital. When my son was born we got a seperate billing for the hospital room and the obstetrician's services. So probably what's going on is he is not billing the patients for OB services. They're probably still having to pay for the hospital room, medicine, nurses, etc.

Ah! That makes sense... can you tell....no kids (wife and I agreed on this before we got married, but that's another topic), only the furry kind.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: ElFenix
what is the fiduciary relationship of a doctor delivering babies at a hospital?

I haven't been able to figure that out either. And being a CPA I'm pretty familiar with the term "fiduciary". That's one reason why say above this doesn't seem like a good idea for the Senate Ethics Committee. John Q Public isn't likely to understand it either, IMO all they're gonna see is a charitable physicians delivering babies for free and getting hassled over it.

Fern

I'm guessing-and it's little more than a guess-that the claim is that this private hospital gets some "fiduciary benefit" by being able to claim that they have a senator on staff (desptie the fact that he is not drawing any pay). I think the rule is basically to prevent senators who are lawyers from lending the prestige of their office to silk stocking lawfirms by being listed on the letterhead "of counsel."

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
the hospital also should be investigated for providing him with a place to practice his love. Just because you own the house doesn't mean you aren't an accomplice when it's being used to warehouse cocaine.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
"Although he receives no fee for delivering babies, some senators say Coburn's activities still provide a benefit for the hospital and thus constitutes a conflict of interest."

I am speechless ........ WTF!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Thump553

I'm guessing-and it's little more than a guess-that the claim is that this private hospital gets some "fiduciary benefit" by being able to claim that they have a senator on staff (desptie the fact that he is not drawing any pay). I think the rule is basically to prevent senators who are lawyers from lending the prestige of their office to silk stocking lawfirms by being listed on the letterhead "of counsel."

ok. i can see how that might be considered an ethics violation. that doesn't make him a fiduciary, though. of course, that word has been abused and has gotten ridiculously watered down since cardozo's eloquent "duty of utmost good faith and loyalty."

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Democrats don't like charity because it interferes with their idea of massive centralized government control programs.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Thump553
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: ElFenix
what is the fiduciary relationship of a doctor delivering babies at a hospital?

I haven't been able to figure that out either. And being a CPA I'm pretty familiar with the term "fiduciary". That's one reason why say above this doesn't seem like a good idea for the Senate Ethics Committee. John Q Public isn't likely to understand it either, IMO all they're gonna see is a charitable physicians delivering babies for free and getting hassled over it.

Fern

Yeah, but like Fern said, John Q. (and I in this case) aren't going to like this "lawerly" interpretation.