REPUBLICAN Heroes of the pandemic......

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My opinion, humble or otherwise is that truth is always some third way. This is owing to the nature of duality. I think, but am not sure it has to do with the law of 3 we see in mystical literature. The father the son and the holy ghost, the triangle etc, the holy affirming denying and reconciling, etc. I describe it as opposites reconcile at a higher level of understanding. It is the collapse of duality, the state of unity that exists, when opposites created by language cease to exist when thought comes to an end. It's maybe like seeing from a higher dimension where miracles can be made to happen at the dimension below it.

Nulla Nasrudin claimed to be able to see in the dark. A villager said, but we see you walking around at night with a lantern in your hand. Ah, said the Mulla, that's so you don't run into me.

People believe in left and right, good and evil. But there is a conscious state in which good and evil cease to exist. From a believer in opposites, such a point of view, that such things don't exist, is completely incomprehensible.
I prefer non-verbal states, and I can achieve them with a snap of the fingers (figuratively, I don't actually do that!). Duality tends to be evanescent, ehereal, a dissolving mist when you come to your senses. People misunderstand that term because they don't have the actual experience. It's exactly what it says. I'm rereading Alan W. Watt's "The Book," given me by my guru many decades ago. ~140 pages of subversiveness. She told me that he'd finally gotten it with that book. Nothing shocking, just the cosmic lowdown.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's pretty much a hopeless quest. I figure Trump will pardon everybody & their dog on Jan 19, 2020, resign & be pardoned by Pence who gets to be President for a day. Neener-neener. Fuck you, Libtards.
Pardoned for what? He's yet to be indicted. Pence AFAIK can't pardon him for things he hasn't been charged with.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I prefer non-verbal states, and I can achieve them with a snap of the fingers (figuratively, I don't actually do that!). Duality tends to be evanescent, ehereal, a dissolving mist when you come to your senses. People misunderstand that term because they don't have the actual experience. It's exactly what it says. I'm rereading Alan W. Watt's "The Book," given me by my guru many decades ago. ~140 pages of subversiveness. She told me that he'd finally gotten it with that book. Nothing shocking, just the cosmic lowdown.
What helped me was reading stuff on Zen including his books. What I got from Zen was a sense that there were people who knew what I knew, that life is meaningless, but were fine with the idea. This shock to my unconscious assumptions that life without meaning was a disaster, a cruel and mocking joke played on us by the universe, created an opening for an insight that occurred to me later. In a deep state of questioning why it was I suffered, what it was all about, ideas that had no previous connection suddenly came together. I saw suddenly that if the universe is meaningless than so is my need for meaning. For some reason that stopped time and I suddenly became in the present. The relief was tremendous suddenly knowing everything, and I calmly went to sleep. I never suffered existential that hopeless no exit thingi ever again. Nothing changed at all in the circumstances of my life but my conscious perspective. That switch that I couldn't throw myself from no to yes, got thrown by what I call Grace.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What helped me was reading stuff on Zen including his books. What I got from Zen was a sense that there were people who knew what I knew, that life is meaningless, but were fine with the idea. This shock to my unconscious assumptions that life without meaning was a disaster, a cruel and mocking joke played on us by the universe, created an opening for an insight that occurred to me later. In a deep state of questioning why it was I suffered, what it was all about, ideas that had no previous connection suddenly came together. I saw suddenly that if the universe is meaningless than so is my need for meaning. For some reason that stopped time and I suddenly became in the present. The relief was tremendous suddenly knowing everything, and I calmly went to sleep. I never suffered existential that hopeless no exit thingi ever again. Nothing changed at all in the circumstances of my life but my conscious perspective. That switch that I couldn't throw myself from no to yes, got thrown by what I call Grace.
An aha moment can make all the difference.

Yeah, sometimes the implications of ideas, great ideas don't hit you right away. You think those things, you ruminate on them over time and you sort things out. I have remembered things that happened to me many decades ago from my current perspective and had realizations in the present about them. In fact I remember conversations that I wish I could have over again... realizing 50 years late what I should have said but didn't! C'est la vie!

Meaning! I'm not sure I've ever attached much importance to that concept. I've searched for truth, a virtual Diogenes. I think what's saved me by and large over the years is just not feeling empty, not having a notion that there's nothing worth living for. That's because I've had great experiences over the years from way back. "Life has it's ups and downs." Of course, the ups make it worth it. There's a lot more to be said, of course. I can get bored but it's rarely anything I can't snap out of pretty quickly. And life is full of surprises, which can certainly help. Things happen you don't expect to happen. And like my guru said, you need to take responsibility for yourself.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
An aha moment can make all the difference.

Yeah, sometimes the implications of ideas, great ideas don't hit you right away. You think those things, you ruminate on them over time and you sort things out. I have remembered things that happened to me many decades ago from my current perspective and had realizations in the present about them. In fact I remember conversations that I wish I could have over again... realizing 50 years late what I should have said but didn't! C'est la vie!

Meaning! I'm not sure I've ever attached much importance to that concept. I've searched for truth, a virtual Diogenes. I think what's saved me by and large over the years is just not feeling empty, not having a notion that there's nothing worth living for. That's because I've had great experiences over the years from way back. "Life has it's ups and downs." Of course, the ups make it worth it. There's a lot more to be said, of course. I can get bored but it's rarely anything I can't snap out of pretty quickly. And life is full of surprises, which can certainly help. Things happen you don't expect to happen. And like my guru said, you need to take responsibility for yourself.
We are all in that boat, a master of our unspoken words but a slave to those that should have remained unsaid.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We are all in that boat, a master of our unspoken words but a slave to those that should have remained unsaid.
I can't remember having said much that I've regretted. My few regrets are for things I could have said but it just didn't occur to me at the time. Or if they did, I didn't have the moxie to say them. But I don't remember those. Things you don't have the courage to say you aren't apt to remember. Anyway, I'm generally the guy who says things other people don't have the courage to say. I think it scares people away. They clam up! Except a place like this, people will just bad mouth you because, you know, the internet. But it's not worth getting into it, usually.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Aside from the obvious "anti Trump" vote, I'm not sure we've offered much for the voters to hope for.
Trump was elected by the "anti Hillary" vote. Poetic justice would be for him to loose by the "anti Trump" vote.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I can't remember having said much that I've regretted. My few regrets are for things I could have said but it just didn't occur to me at the time. Or if they did, I didn't have the moxie to say them. But I don't remember those. Things you don't have the courage to say you aren't apt to remember. Anyway, I'm generally the guy who says things other people don't have the courage to say. I think it scares people away. They clam up! Except a place like this, people will just bad mouth you because, you know, the internet. But it's not worth getting into it, usually.
Yea, I get that, I was forced in grade school to write that little line over and over on a chalkboard because I could not keep my trap shut. Next year the entire school administration was fed up with kids not shutting up when told and we were warned of drastic measures that would be meted out to ensure compliance. Of course myself and a few friends thought they were bluffing and were talking in class the next day, my reward?, FORTY F-ing hours of dentition on ONE slip AND they called parents to make sure they were not forged. Jesus my Dad was pissed, he made me, at age 10, walk home after serving my daily one hour of time in Mass January weather, about 2.5 miles every day.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yea, I get that, I was forced in grade school to write that little line over and over on a chalkboard because I could not keep my trap shut. Next year the entire school administration was fed up with kids not shutting up when told and we were warned of drastic measures that would be meted out to ensure compliance. Of course myself and a few friends thought they were bluffing and were talking in class the next day, my reward?, FORTY F-ing hours of dentition on ONE slip AND they called parents to make sure they were not forged. Jesus my Dad was pissed, he made me, at age 10, walk home after serving my daily one hour of time in Mass January weather, about 2.5 miles every day.
I can remember those days fondly!! After detention one day a Police officer met me after detention and said are you little Jedi? I said YES. officer! Well the officer went on to tell me that they could not find my parents! Seems as soon as thry dropped me off at school they went a got UHaul and apcked everything and tpook off....was I really that bad...lol

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have a different perspective. Rostand said it better than I ever could. And while I take a bit of liberty with his meaning, for me it is about that voice that means manhood.

“To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are, a voice that means manhood—to cock my hat where I choose—

At a word, a Yes, a No, to fight—or write. To travel any road under the sun, under the stars, nor doubt if fame or fortune lie beyond the bourne—

Never to make a line I have not heard in my own heart; yet, with all modesty to say: "My soul, be satisfied with flowers, with fruit, with weeds even; but gather them in the one garden you may call your own.”

Reactions: JEDIYoda

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I have a different perspective. Rostand said it better than I ever could. And while I take a bit of liberty with his meaning, for me it is about that voice that means manhood.

“To sing, to laugh, to dream, to walk in my own way and be alone, free, with an eye to see things as they are, a voice that means manhood—to cock my hat where I choose—

At a word, a Yes, a No, to fight—or write. To travel any road under the sun, under the stars, nor doubt if fame or fortune lie beyond the bourne—

Never to make a line I have not heard in my own heart; yet, with all modesty to say: "My soul, be satisfied with flowers, with fruit, with weeds even; but gather them in the one garden you may call your own.”
I didn't think it was about manhood, womanhood, ect. Just that there are always a few times in someone's life when tact was called for and a sledgehammer was used. It's OK, we all learn from everything and hopefully get better.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
What? I was trying to be a Rastafarian Gaucho with cream. I have to nipple this in the bud before there's a stampede. A word of advice. To much Digitaria eriantha, and God knows what could happen. And speaking of pangola grass, don't let your pet pangolin roam around in the belfry. God again only knows what virus might result.
Careful, you're arguing with an idiot, I'll drag you down to my level and beat you with experience. ;)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I didn't think it was about manhood, womanhood, ect. Just that there are always a few times in someone's life when tact was called for and a sledgehammer was used. It's OK, we all learn from everything and hopefully get better.
I understood your point brother. That quote is referring to being your own man, and speaking your own mine, not some macho nonsense. It is about free speech and free thought, uninfluenced by fear of the powers that be, or how it is received by society. Hence, I do not regret past words spoken in anger or haste, because it is wasted energy, and that is who I was at that moment. Hell, if my higher brain functions were in control at the time, those moments would never have happened. Wisdom is wonderful, but I surmise I will gain more of it as the piss and vinegar leave me through the aging process. ;)