Repost: SEND FUNDS TO HELP DEFEND DAVE MCOWEN AGAINST GEORGIA TYRANNY!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dually

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2000

<< He should not have put soemthing on those computers without permision, now he will pay the price

Stop judging :|:|:| He hasn't said if he had permission or not. A lot of people here know him and support him. That speaks enough for his character.
>>

I know the whole story and I will judge him on what he wrote. Funny since your judging him, nice double standard.

Look he took advantage of his position and stole money from the people of Georgia and now he has to answer for it. RC5 is not educational. I know some of you might really stretch the case but it isn't in a public school system for grades 0-12. 6year olds don't need it. It was unauthorized, used excessive power on a massive scale, used internet bandwidth. I will not buy the bandwidth argument because they pay for a complete pipe, not usage.

Also if he had permision he wouldn't be charged, the person above him would.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dually,

If you are ever staring down the barrel of a railroading bureaucracy bent on destroying your life for something as harmless as RC5, I'll be sure and quote your words back to you.

<< Also if he had permision he wouldn't be charged, the person above him would. >>

That statement alone makes it clear to everyone that you know nothing of how government operates.

Russ, NCNE

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Once the bureacracy targets you, you quickly find out what it means to have an organization with basically unlimited funds after you. Forget about what makes sense, what is fair, or what is just. It's the government you're dealing with.

I sent a letter to the governor, an email, and I'm planning to send some paypal cash later tonight.

Dually

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2000

<< Dually,

If you are ever staring down the barrel of a railroading bureaucracy bent on destroying your life for something as harmless as RC5, I'll be sure and quote your words back to you.

<< Also if he had permision he wouldn't be charged, the person above him would. >>

That statement alone makes it clear to everyone that you know nothing of how government operates.

Russ, NCNE
>>

I never thought you were so rude, we all make mistakes I guess and that was mine.

&quot;If you are ever staring down the barrel of a railroading bureaucracy bent on destroying your life for something as harmless as RC5, I'll be sure and quote your words back to you.&quot;

Is an opinion based on zero fact just emotion. Lots of people are charged for things and found guilty and not guilty. You however find the very act of charging somebody of a crime to be a violation of human rights it seems. If he is not guilty he will be found so, this case is mainly going to be dealing with facts.

&quot;That statement alone makes it clear to everyone that you know nothing of how government operates.&quot;

I will not site my credentials cause you don't care and would just say more rude things. If a boss had given an okay to put rc5 on, he would have said so and he wouldn't have been charged cause it would be soo clear he wasn't guilty and he most certainly would have stated so. Funny how everyone says they know him but they don't know the answer to that question which is so important.

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Umm, sure the state of Georgia is exagerrating, but really what right did he have to use RC5 on state computers without permission?

Clinotus

Golden Member
Jan 6, 2001
Dually, please do not post in this thread! :|:|; This thread is towards CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE CAMPAIGN AND THE INFORMATION THEREOF Take your opinion (which I do respect) to the original thread. This is not the place for it and your inconcideration is UNWELCOME. Show some respect.:|

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The question is not whether he is guilty of using the PC's for RC5 without the proper authorization -- that remains to be determined.

What bothers me is that the prosecutor basically wants to throw this guy in the slammer and throw away the key for something that can hardly be considered a serious crime, no matter how you look at it. Is this really the kind of thing we want to send folks to the slammer for 15 years for? I thought that kind of sentence would be reserved for someone commiting a serious/heinous crime, not someone using $.15 worth of network access and unused cycles.

Think of the implications this kind could have... imagine you work at a state job on the late shift, you're bored, so you pop in a CD and listen to some music while doing some paperwork. Would you want some hothead prosecutor trying to essentially end your life as you know it for that heinous act of using the resources of the computer without permission?? (after all, you didn't get permission to play that CD...did you?).

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
SO let me get this straight. He is being charged for the bandwidth used by RC5 clients he put on state run computers. I live in Ga, and my taxes pay for the school system that he cost money. He abused his position and cost the school system money, which they are seeking reparations for. I feel for the guy and I see how much it must suck for his one little mistake to have such a serious effect, but I'm sorry he will recieve none of my money.

Technically since I'm in Dunwoody (Dekalb County), and I think Duluth is in Gwinnet County, I guess my tax money didn't pay for it, but it could have. I wish the guy luck still, it would suck to have to pay big for a small mistake.

And yes I realize that nearly ½ million is excessive and I wouldn't call what he did a felony. I'm not saying I think the State is right in this situation either. A happy medium should be met here.

Clinotus

Golden Member
Jan 6, 2001
Thraashman, Thanks for your inconsideration too, read the title of this thread. SEND FUNDS TO HELP DEFEND DAVE MCOWEN AGAINST GEORGIA TYRANNY! this thread is for information about contributions. That's it. Take your opinion, which I also respect to the original thread. Plenty of people will discuss it with you there, not here. :|

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
thraashman,

Your argument is extremely illogical. While it may be true that he cost the state some money, you are forgetting all the money that was probably spent by the state INVESTIGATING this 'crime.' Not to mention all the hours you Georgia taxpayers are going to be billed for if this goes to trial (or even if it doesn't).

And if they put him jail, what does that accomplish? This guy isn't just going to pull half a mil out of his pocket and make everything better. If he gets thrown in jail, he will only be costing you MORE money instead of contributing to your state's economy like every other employed worker in your state.

The wisest thing the state could have done if they really cared about money was uninstall the clients and leave it at that. Instead they decide to make this seem like an important issue and spend god knows how much money on their investigation. This doesn't even take into account how many manhours they are wasting.

I apologize for this post, as it doesn't further David's cause, but I felt I HAD to rebut.

konichiwa,

If this case should go to trial (heaven forbid), I may drive up to Duluth (about a 6 hour drive I estimate) to show some support during the hearing. Out of curiosity, do you plan to attend if this goes that far?

Keep fighting the good fight, people.