Question Repairing disk errors...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I got "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" after my PC failed to boot properly 3 times in a row. It would go to Windows but as programs started to run, it would just freeze up. My C drive is on an SSD. Could this be one of my hdd storage drives causing this? Anything I can do here or shall I just let it run? It's been going for 2 hours.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks for all your advice and input (as always). I'm having trouble finding real world opinions of what NVMEs do for day to day desktop operations and productivity. Everyone talks about their benefits for networking, design software, etc. I don't like installing games on C drives so I won't see any benefit there. Plus most games load once and then don't access the drive much after that. Just wondering if to me they're worth it or not and not finding good useful opinions of regular use. Plus I'll lose two SATA ports.

Much better latency and transfer rate. Do you actually use all the sata ports on your computer?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
real world uses include coping 100gb in less than a few minutes? thats my use. I keep a nvme to copy images of stuff and applications and steam backups. a steam backup is as large as a full game. also a sata hdd can easily get fairly hot just like a nvme so there isnt much of a difference in heat. my nvme 500gb 980 pro in my nuc sits at 95f. I copy 40 gbs of data to my sata drive. the sata drives controller will heat to about 113f. also my nvme doesnt heat past 109f. (nvme has a heatsink sata doesn't)

EDIT: oh also I suggest the 980 pro 500gb. its a good drive and I've used the 970 evo plus 500gb in the same system and I think I had a better time using the system with the 980 pro. (*I get that its more expensive but it avoids confusion as there aren't multiple revisions)

Last edited: