Remember the lady that got run over at Walmart?

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
did she get to keep her DVD player that she shielded from damage with her body?

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman
did she get to keep her DVD player that she shielded from damage with her body?

No... Wal-Mart said that they'd hold one for her to purchase at the black friday price once she gets out of the hospital

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Frequent Faller -

"We will investigate this claim as thoroughly as we have the other 10 claims that this customer and her sister have brought against our stores in the past."

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Syndicated columnist George Will used it to bemoan the death of Puritanism at the hand of Christmas excess, calling department stores "cathedrals of consumption." A Portland, Ore., Web site carried the story under the headline, "Capitalism's Greatest Hits."

It goes to show that there's always someone trying to comandeer a story to make a political statement.

How truly pathetic....

That this woman turns out to be a "scam-artist" serves these asshats right.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
This furthers my new found observation that false claims, workers comp, unemployment (a lot of times) and FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) have combined to become the new welfare for Americans.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Rogue
This furthers my new found observation that false claims, workers comp, unemployment (a lot of times) and FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) have combined to become the new welfare for Americans.

:beer:

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
aww great, now she'll sue all the TV stations for Defamation of Character or something like that

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
I haven't seen a single reply to this thread that exhibits any knowledge of workmans compensation.

I worked in the earth moving industry as a heavy equipment repairman for 25 years. During that time I filed at least 15 claims for on the job injury. Does that make me a scam artist? No, my claims were for medical treatment for on the job injuries. I never received any settlements, just medical treatment.

You have to understand what a WC claim is.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
I haven't seen a single reply to this thread that exhibits any knowledge of workmans compensation.

I worked in the earth moving industry as a heavy equipment repairman for 25 years. During that time I filed at least 15 claims for on the job injury. Does that make me a scam artist? No, my claims were for medical treatment for on the job injuries. I never received any settlements, just medical treatment.

You have to understand what a WC claim is.

I do understand. My wife has worked in Human Resources for nearly 5 years now with the last two of that as an HR Director. By and large, the average person that claims worker's comp claims it for bull$hit reasons in the average work place. We've had people get paper cuts and try to file for WC. Construction is hard business no matter how you cut it. I've done masonry work, so I'm not exactly talking out my ass here either. However, in the vast majority of work places today, you can easily point out people that have filed BS or bogus WC cases with their employer. Like I said, it truly has become the new welfare for those people in society that don't have a free ride on welfare and have to work.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I find her story to be very sad. Does she think she's shopping at FAL-MART instead of WAL-MART??

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Wal-Mart is reviewing store videotapes "as we look into the claim," spokeswoman Karen Burk said from the massive retailer's Bentonville, Ark., headquarters. "We will investigate this claim as thoroughly as we have the other 10 claims that this customer and her sister have brought against our stores in the past."

Translation:

Fvck you bitch.

Absolutely classic.

:D

BTW, don't slam FMLA too hard there are some of us who legitimately need it.

I have coverage under FMLA for eye appointments, I can leave anytime (or be late, etc.) I need to without incurring attendance points. I have never abused it, in fact I've never even used it - But it's there in case I need to. I got approved for it after developing a corneal ulcer that required immediate attention (you can go blind if the infection is left untreated), there are times when I will simply have to leave work. It has nothing to do with me being lazy or trying to fleece the company.

Viper GTS

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
lol. it would be funny if she actually did get trampled, but she still loses because of all her past claims.

perhaps someone should read her 'the boy who cried wolf'...

edit: this is all in the situation she does decide to litigate, i havent been following this story much

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Perhaps injury-prone old women shouldn't go shopping on these days unless they can handle a little pushing and shoving?