Remember how safe planes were before they got all fancy.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yep, the orange one tweeted this about planes.

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....

....needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein to be my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!

Once again don't let the facts stand in the way of a good tweet.

Fatal-Accidents-Per-Mln-Flights-1977-2016.jpg

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Anti-science. Anti-modernity, really. I think they love him because grabs them at their most primal level.

Pretty much this. We can laugh at the stupid shit he says about newfangled things and ways, but his fans eat it up. He appeals to their wistful thinking of the "simple days, simple ways" and the changes to society that they have been taught to fear. Fear is a huge motivator and the Republican party has built their party on the foundation of fear. If they were to get their way by purging the nation of every single undesirable so that nothing but them remain, they would turn inward and continue the purity purges until everything is destroyed. Fear. It's who they've become and it's now all they are.

He feeds them the fear they crave and he hurts those they want hurt, giving them great joy. In return they reward him with unending love and loyalty.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Planes have been complicated since the Wright brothers era-pushing the edge of technology is what aviation is all about.

From my extremely superficial understanding (based on even more superficial news reporting) it appears the problem is arising because of an over reliance on autonomous systems. More testing and a slower rollout of the product in the real world may have helped. What certainly did not help was the five week government shutdown which froze the FAA's efforts to deal with Boeing on this matter.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
His stupidity and the freedom he feels to share it is truly astounding.

Reactions: Muse

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
His stupidity and the freedom he feels to share it is truly astounding.
not really, how many 'successful' businessfolk have multiple bankruptcies and still can fool investors/condo buyers.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I am amazed because at a time when there have been 2 crashes he is doubting the safety of airplanes instead of reassuring people that they are safe to fly.

What a dweeb.

Reactions: Muse

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Someone should remind him AF-1 gets all the newest tech installed xd

Actually AF-1 (VC-25A) doesn't have many of automated controls that these recent planes that have crashed do. Its based on a 747-200B. The new AF-1 being based on the 747-800 will have many if not all of these systems.

Feb 4, 2009
Like he can tell the diff :p

From listening to Trump on the Howard Stern Show there are two things Trumps memory exceeds in:
Limo design & how/who should customize them
Private planes, especially the large kind

He’s really passionate about them, similar to how a gearhead could be super knowledgeable about cars made from late 50s- late 60s

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Planes have been complicated since the Wright brothers era-pushing the edge of technology is what aviation is all about.

From my extremely superficial understanding (based on even more superficial news reporting) it appears the problem is arising because of an over reliance on autonomous systems. More testing and a slower rollout of the product in the real world may have helped. What certainly did not help was the five week government shutdown which froze the FAA's efforts to deal with Boeing on this matter.
I think they should ground all planes cause aerodynamics is complicated.

Reactions: Meghan54

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
From listening to Trump on the Howard Stern Show there are two things Trumps memory exceeds in:
Limo design & how/who should customize them
Private planes, especially the large kind

He’s really passionate about them, similar to how a gearhead could be super knowledgeable about cars made from late 50s- late 60s
Maybe from a interior design standpoint, I doubt he knows much about the mechanics, electronics end.

Reactions: lsd

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I am amazed because at a time when there have been 2 crashes he is doubting the safety of airplanes instead of reassuring people that they are safe to fly.

What a dweeb.
Got Boeing's CEO's attention. He called Trump on the phone and complained about it. I guess he won't get invited to the next WH Xmas party.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lol..Maybe we should launch 'em with steam catapults. Let's bring back slide rules and propellers - for the success of the Space Force! They will be more economical in outer space because they use less fuel than rockets?!

It would be fun to see just what kind of stuff you could get Trump to believe. "Nobody knows more about aviation than I do"?

I would like Albert Einstein to pilot my airplane, especially if he turned over the controls to the co-pilot and came out to play a violin solo for us mid-flight.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Colbert said last night that maybe planes should be shaped like wooden doghouses, he's seen a beagle flying one.

Feb 4, 2009
Maybe from a interior design standpoint, I doubt he knows much about the mechanics, electronics end.

While it’s been a long, long time. I do remember him knowing things a normal person wouldn’t know like take off & landing distance, I *think* he mentioned something about different tires.
He certainly knew more than most people, that’s not saying he’s an engineer regarding planes & limos

Basically what I am saying is if we sat the President down to take a general aviation test with you I’m confident the President would score higher, if you had a week or two to study I’m confident you’d equal or best the President
*this is making the assumption you are not in the aviation business

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
While it’s been a long, long time. I do remember him knowing things a normal person wouldn’t know like take off & landing distance, I *think* he mentioned something about different tires.
He certainly knew more than most people, that’s not saying he’s an engineer regarding planes & limos
That I could believe since he owns planes and has probably asked his pilot and mechanic a few basic questions.