Religion shoud be outlawed

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Religion is another form of Government, one that has been proven wrong throughout history. It does not allow for questioning it's rules or beliefs, it does not allow for trial by a jury of your peers, in short, it's 1300 to 2000 years old.

Isn't it time that we outlaw it, in the face of Government, which is a superior moderator of society?

The two can't coexist.

There are millions of people crushed by Religion today, and if America had a strict no religion policy, they could have hopes, that a Government would some day be there, and Religion would be squashed.

-John

opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they usually stink.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Agreed.

This is the crux of why I disagree/do not like most conservatives.

They all believe everything is about ME ME ME and they deserve every penny they've ever earned, and nobody should take a piece away from them.

Ha that is a laugher. Here is a quick rundown on Conservatives.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
You work hard you get fed.
You work real hard you get fed and have a nice house.

Many are Christians which also believe in:

Tithing.
Give to Ceaser what is his.
Most generous people by far in every sense of the word.
Give to Charity, church or secular much more than liberals.

On the other hand Liberal Progressives like Obama (self admitted see Joe the plumber video) believe in.
Take from the rich to pacify the poor so they vote for you.
Overburden small to large businesses making job growth a thing of the past except in the public sector. How do Public sector jobs get paid?

Libs love: entitlements. entitlements. entitlements. entitlements. entitlements.
Religion is bad... except for the muslim faith they are cool.

many on the public cheese believe:

Why work when I can get a check. I have 99 weeks or more now of unemployment plus cobra help!
I have not worked in years and don't plan to I get paid from each one of my 5 babies. Why work they owe it to me my life is shiz!
Obama will get us good green jobs! (This means a decade more of unlimited PS3 till those jobs might be viable)
I will keep voting for the party that gives me the rich mans money!

And really who earned the money? Who invests? Who Drives Innovation? What Drives Innovation? Who are the most efficient employers? Who creates private sector (real jobs that add to the tax base) jobs?

In the original Simcity what did the population do when you raised the taxes too much?

Really though who has heard of the atheist charities?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
It is time that Religion loses it's moral authority, as it really doesn't have any; they lose their perception of charity, as they aren't really compassionate, and they lose their great gift of hope in an afterlife, because there isn't any.

-John

You are making the assumption that everyone who follows a religion is the same. Do you group all white,black, Latino, gay, straight people that way ? What about people that live in one state vs another ? Surely if people fit into a category they are all the same ?

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Religion is another form of Government, one that has been proven wrong throughout history. It does not allow for questioning it's rules or beliefs, it does not allow for trial by a jury of your peers, in short, it's 1300 to 2000 years old.

Isn't it time that we outlaw it, in the face of Government, which is a superior moderator of society?

The two can't coexist.

There are millions of people crushed by Religion today, and if America had a strict no religion policy, they could have hopes, that a Government would some day be there, and Religion would be squashed.

-John

I think we should make an immediate effort to develop mind control devices so that we can avoid violence in our society... in fact... why don't we just lobotomize our entire society... that would be a way cheaper solution.

Thought control hell yeah!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think we should make an immediate effort to develop mind control devices so that we can avoid violence in our society... in fact... why don't we just lobotomize our entire society... that would be a way cheaper solution.

Thought control hell yeah
!

Are you suggesting that we force everyone to watch Faux Hysteri..err News?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You can form your own beliefs and open your own church if you want. Maybe you can declare your house a church and not have to pay taxes. I have never been in any church when I was not free to leave if I did not like it.

If the United States had a strict no-religion policy, it would be called communism.

Without freedom of thought a man is nothing. Too bad you can not enslave my brain.

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
A dictatorship maybe, but communism has nothing to do with it. Communism means there is no such thing as private property but everything is owned by the community, hence 'communism'. It's perfectly possible to have a society with individual property but no religion, just as it's perfectly possible to live in a communist society and still have religion.

I'm actually glad it's hard to enslave a brain. Many religions seem interested in doing just that.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
A dictatorship maybe, but communism has nothing to do with it. Communism means there is no such thing as private property but everything is owned by the community, hence 'communism'. It's perfectly possible to have a society with individual property but no religion, just as it's perfectly possible to live in a communist society and still have religion.

I'm actually glad it's hard to enslave a brain. Many religions seem interested in doing just that.

Your mind is always slave to something; why not have it be slave to the teachings of Christ? Is there something wrong with caring about others and denying selfish, other-hurting, greed, pride and lust?

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
No, but why would I be a slave to the teachings of Christ (he'd probably object to that term) when I care about others and deny selfishness, other-hurting, greed, pride and lust already? (ok, scrap lust)

I read the bible and at one point Jesus is asked what's the most important thing he's trying to teach people. He answers: to love the next person like yourself and to love God like yourself. Never understood why the first part is not enough.

Last edited:

Agnostos Insania

Golden Member
Oct 29, 2005
Humanity has outgrown religion's benefit I believe, but banning it would make us no better than the crusaders or witch burners.
Religion-related organizations dedicated to making their beliefs into (or maintaining) law? Definitely outlaw those.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Coffee Junkee: Romans chapter 6 verses 15 through 23 says that we are all slave to something; our lust, our greed our pride or Christ.

As for loving God: I have hard time being selfless when I don't recognize that there is something infinity greater than myself dictating truth.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

The two can't coexist.

-John

Seriously, how do we keep allowing people posting threads here that really should go on their own pathetic blog? Where's the news link? Or is that no longer a rule in this forum?

I mean look at this drivel, it's nothing but a troll thread, no purpose other than looking for enraged responses.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Ha that is a laugher. Here is a quick rundown on Conservatives.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.
You work hard you get fed.
You work real hard you get fed and have a nice house.

Many are Christians which also believe in:

Tithing.
Give to Ceaser what is his.
Most generous people by far in every sense of the word.
Give to Charity, church or secular much more than liberals.

On the other hand Liberal Progressives like Obama (self admitted see Joe the plumber video) believe in.
Take from the rich to pacify the poor so they vote for you.
Overburden small to large businesses making job growth a thing of the past except in the public sector. How do Public sector jobs get paid?

Libs love: entitlements. entitlements. entitlements. entitlements. entitlements.
Religion is bad... except for the muslim faith they are cool.

many on the public cheese believe:

Why work when I can get a check. I have 99 weeks or more now of unemployment plus cobra help!
I have not worked in years and don't plan to I get paid from each one of my 5 babies. Why work they owe it to me my life is shiz!
Obama will get us good green jobs! (This means a decade more of unlimited PS3 till those jobs might be viable)
I will keep voting for the party that gives me the rich mans money!

And really who earned the money? Who invests? Who Drives Innovation? What Drives Innovation? Who are the most efficient employers? Who creates private sector (real jobs that add to the tax base) jobs?

In the original Simcity what did the population do when you raised the taxes too much?

Really though who has heard of the atheist charities?

LOL.

warren_buffet1.jpg

U mad?

bill-gates.jpg

Yea you are.

The richest people on Earth are Liberals and happen to be Atheists/Agnostics, and they are the biggest charitable givers.

The fact that these two exist who will be leaving Billions behind for humanity makes the pitiful guilty contributions of Catholics and Christians everywhere look like Pigeon shit. As they absolutely should be. Doing charity out of fear/guilt from God. LOL @ You.

Now that I think about it, no conservative has ever really contributed to anything of significance on Earth.

- Not against Science
- Takes and uses (Slaves and Natives)
- Genocides :whiste:

Last edited:

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
The fact that these two exist who will be leaving Billions behind for humanity makes the pitiful guilty contributions of Catholics and Christians everywhere look like Pigeon shit. As they absolutely should be. Doing charity out of fear/guilt from God. LOL @ You.

Oh please, it's hardly a "sacrifice" to give away billions when you actually have billions more, and still live in the sort of splendor and comfort 99.9% of the world will never know. I promise anyone that if you give me a billion dollars, I'd happily give 90% of it away. I'd really suffer living on only $100M, but I'd do it, for the little people! :rolleyes:

Now that I think about it, no conservative has ever really contributed to anything of significance on Earth.

- Not against Science
- Takes and uses (Slaves and Natives)
- Genocides :whiste:

You really are just an idiot, aren't you?

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Oh please, it's hardly a "sacrifice" to give away billions when you actually have billions more, and still live in the sort of splendor and comfort 99.9% of the world will never know. I promise anyone that if you give me a billion dollars, I'd happily give 90% of it away. I'd really suffer living on only $100M, but I'd do it, for the little people! :rolleyes:

You really are just an idiot, aren't you?

Sorry but Buffett is leaving EVERYTHING to The Gates Foundation when he dies, and Gates is doing to the same and leaving only a few mill for his kids or something.

;)

You know they could have also bought a couple of islands and a fleet of battleships but they decided to help people in Africa instead.

By the way, name one conservative who has ever done anything or made anything of significance.

Not one important scientist, mathematician, doctor etc in history were conservatives.

The conservatives were and still are the raging Bible thumpers intent on stopping buttsecks, since it's about the only thing left to do after all the slaves were free, the interracial marriage thing is settled, the crusades were done, the scientists and witches were forced to be given rights blah blah blah.

Last edited:

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Sorry but Buffett is leaving EVERYTHING to The Gates Foundation when he dies,

Too easy.

and Gates is doing to the same and leaving only a few mill for his kids or something.

First, define "a few mil" - did you help draft his will? And even "a few mil" is more than 99% of the world gets handed to them free of charge. Gates still lives in opulence and splendor, which almost any of us would be pleased to experience, but keep calling him a saint if you want.

By the way, name one conservative who has ever done anything or made anything of significance.

Not one important scientist, mathematician, doctor etc in history were conservatives.

The conservatives were and still are the raging Bible thumpers intent on stopping buttsecks, since it's about the only thing left to do after all the slaves were free, the interracial marriage thing is settled, the crusades were done, the scientists and witches were forced to be given rights blah blah blah.

You just can't teach those who refuse to learn. I hope that by the time you move on from elementary to middle school, you try harder.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Too easy.

First, define "a few mil" - did you help draft his will? And even "a few mil" is more than 99% of the world gets handed to them free of charge. Gates still lives in opulence and splendor, which almost any of us would be pleased to experience, but keep calling him a saint if you want.

You just can't teach those who refuse to learn. I hope that by the time you move on from elementary to middle school, you try harder.

Buffet uses money to make money. What do you expect him to do, just stop before he dies? Man's gotta work.

Gates obviously has investments of his own and parties to attend. He can't be showing up in Calvin Klein when Kiton has his name on the rolo.

And I asked you to name a name, and you didn't even name a school. :whiste: Which middle school or high school would you recommend for me?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
People seemed to be hard-wired for religion. Outlawing or controlling it has been tried before with bad results.

I vote for maintaining a strict separation of church and state.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

The two can't coexist.

-John

I think you are wrong sir, respectively. I don't think religion is responsible for hatred/destruction etc. People do. People are smart enough to use any religion to justify their destructive needs. Abolishing religion won't stop bloodshed or harm done by these people, they will just do it anyways and use another reason to justify their actions (instead of some religion). What we, as a society, need is more education on love, acceptance and compassion. Also more education on mental disorders. Treating emotional disorder will lessen the need for many of these people to channel their rage and anger toward others around them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Are you really going to claim that I owe you everything I earn over my lifetime by virtue of an infinite, unpayable debt to a bunch of dead guys? You've contributed absolutely nothing to my life genetically, economically, socially, physically, emotionally, or mentally. You have not poured my coffee for the countless all-nighters of grad school. You have not spent countless nights solving complex problems while lying in bed unable to sleep. Therefore, I have a better idea: drag your lazy ass off the couch and do something of value for someone so they pay you. You have no claim to anything I've achieved or earned in my lifetime, nor do I have any claim to yours. I owe you nothing for the non-contributions you've made to what I've become. If I decide, out of the goodness of my heart, guilt of my conscience, or whatever else, to send a few bucks your way, count your blessing, but you have no right to delude yourself into thinking that you have in any way earned such a contribution from anyone.

yes. And I'm sure all of the buildings of all of the educational institutions that you attended, all of the sewage systems that you pissed and shat in as you matured to an educated, productive member of society, the laws that protected you (in theory), the roads upon which you've traveled, the public and social services provided to you...all of these things that you have apparently deserved for free, have done nothing to make you who you are, and you certainly owe no one anything.

:rolleyes: