Rehnquist and O'Connor may retire

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
Speaking of Dems stealing elections, here in Louisiana, our esteemed Sen. Mary Landrieu was in a tight race. She ran a spanish language commercial saying she supported the nomination of Judge Estrada. after she narrowly won re-election, she said the commercial was a mistake. Talk about stealing.........

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
They will retire as soon as Bush wins in 2004. Then the senate will be 60-40 Republican so Bush will get whoever he wants in. Roe V Wade will be overturned within months and all will be set right in the world.. Man I can't wait.....

Actually I am not anti abortion or even pro Bush for that matter. I just would like to see common sense take over for awhile..

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
David - Common sense? A woman's right to choose is just that, a right. It's not like we are having mass abortions all over the country. It is her body while the child is still just a fetus, and privacy rights were established in Griswold vs. Connecticut (1965).

As for Rehnquist and O'Conner, Bush is going to have to select moderate Republicans because a) Not every member of the Senate who is on the right is far right. Those in tight races are not going to be gleamingly supportive of someone who will swing votes the wrong way in their state. b) Fillibuster galore. Not that I am a big fan of the Dem fillibusters, but I do believe something as big as a Supreme Court confirmation should be greater than a straight majority.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The makeup of the Supreme Court is the most important issue this nation can deal with domestic wise. Life terms for political folks... not good... No law can stand beyond the decision of the court. LIFE TERMS to insure independence.... then let them all be mid roaders not Thomases or Marshalls (rip) mid road folks... and if 9-0 against me I'll live with 5-4 either way must be political if its always the same 5 and 4... get political philosophy behid thee... see it down the middle of society not the fringe.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
David - Common sense? A woman's right to choose is just that, a right. It's not like we are having mass abortions all over the country. It is her body while the child is still just a fetus, and privacy rights were established in Griswold vs. Connecticut (1965).

As for Rehnquist and O'Conner, Bush is going to have to select moderate Republicans because a) Not every member of the Senate who is on the right is far right. Those in tight races are not going to be gleamingly supportive of someone who will swing votes the wrong way in their state. b) Fillibuster galore. Not that I am a big fan of the Dem fillibusters, but I do believe something as big as a Supreme Court confirmation should be greater than a straight majority.

I agree NaKaNaka. I said I am not Anti Abortion. We do however have way to many abortions through out the country. Abortion should have never become so common place as it is now. I've had discussions with many people who feel as if having an abortion is like catching a cold. It sickens me to think anyone could think like that but they do. On the other hand I can't stand the Anti Abortion nuts who say its murder and all will burn in hell for it. In the end I believe its a necessary evil which will hopefully someday be no longer needed. I can dream can't I? :)
The republicans are going to hold a larger majority after the next election cycle so they will be able to appoint just about anyone. There are far more Dem. Senate seats up for grab then Rep. this time around so its almost a forgone conclusion...
And I absolutely hate the filibuster. Neither party should ever use it. And a president should be able to appoint whomever they want to the federal bench.. The supreme Court on the other hand does need allot more consideration, not no damn filibuster though..

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Well - The problem with your catching a cold example is that most Americans are absolutly positivly stupid. And I'm not talking about those who can't read; we need to improve our education system for that. I'm talking about those private school high school girls who can't even name the mayor of their own city or who is running for president or people who can't even pick out their state on a map. It sickens me. Just because these Americans are stupid though doesn't mean we should cut down on abortions; too many states have restrictive laws that hurt people for whom an abortion is the most logical solutions.

As for federal bench - 98% of appointments go through unanimous, most the whole Senate doesn't even show up for the vote. But for very controversial ones to the 2nd highest court in the country, then a fillibuster may be in order.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Well - The problem with your catching a cold example is that most Americans are absolutly positivly stupid. And I'm not talking about those who can't read; we need to improve our education system for that. I'm talking about those private school high school girls who can't even name the mayor of their own city or who is running for president or people who can't even pick out their state on a map. It sickens me. Just because these Americans are stupid though doesn't mean we should cut down on abortions; too many states have restrictive laws that hurt people for whom an abortion is the most logical solutions.

As for federal bench - 98% of appointments go through unanimous, most the whole Senate doesn't even show up for the vote. But for very controversial ones to the 2nd highest court in the country, then a fillibuster may be in order.

Maybe, but tell me why Estada deserves a filibuster?

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
NakaNaka, I think me and you are just about on the same page on abortion. Education= less abortions. I agree 100%. Unfortunately our schools are incapable of doing so.

And 98% of judges may have been confirmed before but during the latter part of the Clinton administration and the entire Bush administration its gotten way out of hand. Leaning left or right on the Abortion issue can now cause a good man to be denied a place on the bench. Its all a big witch hunt now. Its amazing how one issue has taken control of our entire process. And i fear it will only get worse. A president should be allowed to appoint whomever he see's fit.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Estrada deserves a filbuster because federal bench appointments are held for life, and we should not take such an appointment lightly. He won't answer questions on some of his legal views - that is why. Plus, he's too conservative for my taste in a 50-50 country.

And David - That is because partisan political views and not the law are determining abortion issues, and are holding up the entire system. I would not be opposed to a constitutional amendment guaranteeing all persons the right to privacy of their own body and the will to do what they want with it so this country can just move on. The problem I see with it, besides that it would never get ratified, is the language would have to be so perfect or else drug users would be claiming they can take whatever they want because it is their body.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Estrada deserves a filbuster because federal bench appointments are held for life, and we should not take such an appointment lightly. He won't answer questions on some of his legal views - that is why. Plus, he's too conservative for my taste in a 50-50 country.

And David - That is because partisan political views and not the law are determining abortion issues, and are holding up the entire system. I would not be opposed to a constitutional amendment guaranteeing all persons the right to privacy of their own body and the will to do what they want with it so this country can just move on. The problem I see with it, besides that it would never get ratified, is the language would have to be so perfect or else drug users would be claiming they can take whatever they want because it is their body.

Estrada is NOT a conservative. Everyone knows this. The only questions he has not answered are questions that shouldn't have been asked. I seen that idiot Sen. Clinton saying this is all a ploy by the Rep. to put a hispanic on the federal bench to make them look better to the voters. Then when asked what she meant by ploy she had no real answer, she said "everything".. Kinda like that vast right wing conspiracy.

This is actually working in the republicans favor. Imagine the adds the republicans are going to run saying the democrats claim to be a party for everyone but they just don't want a hispanic judge. lol, the democrats are foolish if they continue this all the way up to the next election.. If they don't watch it even a democratic state like California is gonna vote republican because of there huge hispanic population..
Then think of the lunatic judges that will be appointed.. Trent Lott will look like a good man compared to them :(

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Didn't anyone see the campaign-style ads Reps were using to get public support for Estrada? They were written in Spanish. I don't think the sole reason is to appeal to Hispanics (that is a side benefit in addition to the main one of finding a buddy for Scalia), but you can't put either party (Dems or Reps) above a little cheap advertising.

I think this next court will really challenge abortion. Given all the recent legislative efforts to define a fetus as a human, I think it's obvious it's a backdoor effort to influence public policy. Actually technically Roe v. Wade is no longer good law; much of the public still thinks it is but it was partially overturned by the Court in 1992 in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. It moves the scale way back from privacy towards state regulation, and probably no longer classifies abortion as a listed 'fundamental right'. No doubt Asscroft and some of his fundies are trying to move the scale all the way back to the dark ages.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: IamDavid

I agree NaKaNaka. I said I am not Anti Abortion. We do however have way to many abortions through out the country. Abortion should have never become so common place as it is now. I've had discussions with many people who feel as if having an abortion is like catching a cold. It sickens me to think anyone could think like that but they do. On the other hand I can't stand the Anti Abortion nuts who say its murder and all will burn in hell for it. In the end I believe its a necessary evil which will hopefully someday be no longer needed. I can dream can't I? :)
The republicans are going to hold a larger majority after the next election cycle so they will be able to appoint just about anyone. There are far more Dem. Senate seats up for grab then Rep. this time around so its almost a forgone conclusion...
And I absolutely hate the filibuster. Neither party should ever use it. And a president should be able to appoint whomever they want to the federal bench.. The supreme Court on the other hand does need allot more consideration, not no damn filibuster though..

Who are you to judge abortions? Are the 18-year-old girl that gets date raped and decides to have an abortion because she can't take care of the baby (and maybe doesn't want it)? No. You're just some guy who thinks he knows better than women. There are hundreds of good reasons to have an abortion and thousands of good reasons to keep abortions legal. Do you really think that by making them illegal people are going to stop having them? Many will go to Canada or have it done via coathanger. In the end, you will have many women dying from Do-it-yourself abortions.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Moonbeam, I love ya. I swear you must be a republican.. You keep saying stupid things like that knowing it helps no but them..

And Blinderbomber I AM NOT anti abortion. There ARE many good resons to have an abortion. But can you honestly tell me they are a good thing? Apperently you have never met a women who's had an abortion. Many of them are destroyed and feel nothing but guilt for the rest of there lives.
All in all though I don't want to see them banned.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
When you think Republican think Taliban.

I sincerely hope this is one of your posts that is specifically designed to appear collossally stupid in order to ellicit a response of some sort. I can never tell with you.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Trust the Force, freakflag, let it guide you. :D

See, this is what I'm talking about.....
rolleye.gif

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
NakaNaka - "Plus, he's too conservative for my taste in a 50-50 country."

Man, are we only supposed to have judges YOU approve of?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: przero
NakaNaka - "Plus, he's too conservative for my taste in a 50-50 country."

Man, are we only supposed to have judges YOU approve of?

PR,

Ideally and IMO we would be better off if we could find an ideal mid road judge and clone eight of him/her and sit them on the court... or robots or androids. 9-0 decisions are great. 5-4 based on political (life term) philosophy is not good and not consistent with founding father thinking.. I think.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
When you think Republican think Taliban.

I actually agree with you. Of course, you mean that you should think of what the Republican administration did to the Taliban as an example of how Republicans, leading this nation, are making a difference as contrasted to the Democrats who are holding up judicial nominations.

O'Connor retiring is a new one, but it was common knowledge that Rehnquist was waiting for a Republican administration to be in the charge before retiring.