Refrigerator's freezer compartment doesn't work properly

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
As title. The refrigerator's freezer compartment can only cool down to -5C / 18F

Already tried to defrost twice but the frost was always formed at right side corner as pictured.

What went wrong and how do I fix it?

Model: Frigidaire FRT21HS8KS0​

freezer.jpg

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
First check if the fan behind the metal plate is working.
Do you stuff the freezer or can air move freely?
It's also possible the defroster coil/heater isn't working but I'm not sure frost would only build in that corner.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Hmmm. If the fan is running most of the time, sounds like the compressor isn't cycling on and off? If that's the case I figure either the compressor is going bad or refrigerant has leaked making the system less efficient.

Does it have trouble maintaining temperature?

Reactions: lantis3

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
It's actually my parent's fridge. They said they thawed it once. When I visit them the whole refrigerator couldn't keep the temp. The freezer compartment can only maintain about 40F, basically normal refrigerator temp, but the refrigerator compartment can only maintain at around 15C/60F.

After I cleaned up their stuff and thawed the fridge once again and replug the electricity, now the refrigerator compartment can maintain at about 5C/40F, that should be normal temp, right? But the freezer part just doesn't work properly, it takes about a week to stay at the current temp/condition.

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That style of fridge is pretty simple. If the fans work properly and the airflow isn't blocked, it should work fine.

Hate to say it but it does sound like something is wrong beyond economical repair.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
That style of fridge is pretty simple. If the fans work properly and the airflow isn't blocked, it should work fine.

Hate to say it but it does sound like something is wrong beyond economical repair.
Thinking about the same. If labor cost $200 and the parts cost another $200-$300, would rather buy a new one. Thanks.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Labor $200? Certainly not in the US!

Anecdotally I saw a fridge of similar style (based on those plastic pieces) on the curb once. Figured I would gamble and took it home. Replaced the evaporator fan/motor and it worked just fine.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Labor $200? Certainly not in the US!

Anecdotally I saw a fridge of similar style (based on those plastic pieces) on the curb once. Figured I would gamble and took it home. Replaced the evaporator fan/motor and it worked just fine.

So what's your estimate for labor/parts?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I have found in recent history (last 10 years or so) appliances are not cost effective to get repaired when they get older.

How old is that Fridge/Freezer?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
So what's your estimate for labor/parts?
More than the cost of a new fridge. At least where I live, you could buy a used fridge for under $200...sometimes free if your timing is right.

So certainly not worth repairing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It's actually my parent's fridge. They said they thawed it once. When I visit them the whole refrigerator couldn't keep the temp. The freezer compartment can only maintain about 40F, basically normal refrigerator temp, but the refrigerator compartment can only maintain at around 15C/60F.

After I cleaned up their stuff and thawed the fridge once again and replug the electricity, now the refrigerator compartment can maintain at about 5C/40F, that should be normal temp, right? But the freezer part just doesn't work properly, it takes about a week to stay at the current temp/condition.

it takes about a week to stay at the current temp/condition.

It shouldn't take that long to get cold.

Mine stays at 35 F and I can set it much lower.

Freezer I run at 0 F and can set it much lower as well.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
10/11 years. Just past the the threshold, I guess. :(

They don't make them to last any longer. These days 10 years is a good run.

My last good Fridge was 20 years old and still running like a champ when I gave it to my son to make a beer cooler out of it.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Your posts say that BOTH the freezer and fridge portions are getting inadequate cooling. Further, you report the fan is working and air is flowing. So it is likely the problem is with the parts that generate cold, and not the movement of cold air. That could have two sources (or maybe more I have not considered).

1. The refrigeration loop has a small leak so that it has lost a significant amount of its coolant gas over time. If this is the cause, a good technician can test for that and re-fill the system. Not cheap, but not a huge cost. BUT the real issue is that finding and patching the leak is extremely difficult, and the problem WILL come back if it is not fixed.

2. This one is no-cost IF you consider yourself a reasonably good handyperson. I have done this several times on our older fridge. Most such fridges are the "auto-defrost" type. The actual cooling coils are in a compartment in the bottom or back of the freezer. The fan circulates air through the compartment and into the freezer, and a small portion of that air flow is diverted through the fridge portion. In normal operation some frost builds up on the freezer coils, and a sensor detects when that is too much. It triggers a timed sequence to shut off the compressor, turn on a heater near the coils, and melt that frost off. The water collected under the heated coils flows to a drain hole at the bottom rear of the chamber, down a bit of tubing and out of the back of the fridge near the top into a vertical plastic drain hose that empties into a shallow tray under the compressor at the very bottom of the fridge. After all the frost has been melted and drained to that tray, the system returns to normal cooling operations. Over the next many hours the water in the tray, warmed slightly by heat from the compressor, evaporates. The "problem" I have fixed is that the drain tubing system sometimes accumulates dust, "crud", whatever, and gets blocked somewhere so that the water cannot drain out. It gets trapped in the freezer coil chamber and simply re-freezes there, greatly reducing ability of the coils to chill the air being circulated by the fan. This leads to more frequent defrost cycles, and often to a drain pan at the bottom that never gets wet.

(Revised to include the obvious.) Unplug the fridge and remove the freezer contents to an insulated container. Start by pulling the fridge out so you gain access to the back with its black tubes and drain hose. See if you can detach that drain hose and ensure it is clear of dirt clogs. Depending on your particular system, from the front you may be able to find a way to remove the cover at the back of the freezer with the air flow slots and the temp control knob to expose the cooling coils. Be VERY careful NOT to damage those finned coils. Do NOT ever try to SCRAPE frost from them. Carefully clean out this whole area. Find the drain hole at the back bottom and try to run a flexible wire or pipe cleaner down it and out of the back where the drain hose connects, to clear out any debris in that passage. Once you have the entire drain system cleaned out, restore the freezer interior panel and knob, then reconnect the drain hose on the back and return the fridge to normal operation. Replace the freezer foods and plug in. IF this really was the cause of the poor fridge performance it should be much better now, and over the next few days you MAY observe water at times in the tray at the very bottom - IF you can even see there.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I would say that the fan still could be an issue. The fan might be worn out but "running". The fan is usually the first point of failure, causing icing on the evaporator coils. This style of freezer, I have one, and replacing the fan fixes the problem.

Also, you're better off repairing this fridge than playing new fridge roulette.

Also, check sealing gaskets for stiffness and the resulting leaks.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
OK. This is how it looks like after removing the back panel

before.jpg

After melting away the ice.

after.jpg

Is this causing the problem? Is it leaking?

bad parts.png

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The most common cause for evaporator freezing is low air flow. there are also other things such as low refrigerant.

Reactions: NutBucket

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
That's the condenser fan. What about the evap fan in the freezer? Should be attached to the metal plate you removed to expose the evap coils.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Wow. That's complex. Time for a new fridge.

Thanks!
Used fridge off Craigs/FB/local used appliance stores. You're playing roulette with new ones.

It's a shame a Panasonic compressor is going to bite the dust. I'd pay someone to recharge it.