Red Orchestra 2, free on Steam for the next 24 hours (keep it forever)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Interesting. Hope I can grab it through the app!

KT

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thanks, will grab. Wanted to try this game out but not enough to actually buy it.

Edit: Wait, is this the single player version only? I do see a beta that got added as well, does that have multiplayer?

Last edited:

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
So I see a Red Orchestra 2 (RO2 from now on) singleplayer download and a multiplayer download. I then see the Rising Storm beta and the RO2 beta.

We actually need the betas to play? If we do not install, do those games disappear from the Steam library?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks, will grab. Wanted to try this game out but not enough to actually buy it.

Edit: Wait, is this the single player version only? I do see a beta that got added as well, does that have multiplayer?

No, this deal is for Red Orchestra 2, the full game in it's entirety. That includes the multiplayer.

I believe the purpose of the Beta is so the developers can experiment with new changes before pushing them live to the actual game. Unless you want to do bug-testing, don't bother installing any betas.

So I see a Red Orchestra 2 (RO2 from now on) singleplayer download and a multiplayer download. I then see the Rising Storm beta and the RO2 beta.

We actually need the betas to play? If we do not install, do those games disappear from the Steam library?

Red Orchestra has always been a multiplayer game at heart. With RO2, they shoehorned in a singleplayer "campaign" mode, which is basically just a glorified series of bot matches. The reason why they're two separate entries in your Steam library is probably just a courtesy so you don't have to waste the extra time + bandwidth for downloading a mode most people never play.

The betas are totally separate from the regular game, and are not necessary.

They will not disappear from your Steam library. As long as you add RO2 to your Steam account within the next 24 hours, they are permanently tied to your account, just like if you were to buy any other game. You don't have to install anything right now if you don't want. It will still be there later.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
No, this deal is for Red Orchestra 2, the full game in it's entirety. That includes the multiplayer.

Yeah I see it now, it starts with Rising Storm so it wasn't listed right under the single player game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah I see it now, it starts with Rising Storm so it wasn't listed right under the single player game.

Oh, I forgot about that, they combined Rising Storm and Red Orchestra 2 into the same game entry on Steam. :) In a way, you're actually getting two games here. It might look a little confusing - although they both are WWII shooters, and they both have the same mechanics, just different settings and weapons is all.

Unless you actually buy Rising Storm, you will only be able to play Rising Storm as a basic rifleman. Which actually isn't a bad deal, since most people play rifleman anyway.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
This was kind of a fun game, but the community was never there. Usually just one or two servers with strange and stupid gameplay modes.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Rising storm is NOT GOTY. It was a good buy for 15$ but I'd hardly spend more money on this franchise. It's a B/C level shooter that has incredibly annoying things about it, such as the horrid design of artillery and lack of a proper weapon allocation system (first come first serve is the current way to get the best guns). That being said, it's the best WW2 shooter out right now. It's slower than Battlefield 1942/COD2 and not as squad-based, but a great replacement for an aging WW2 shooter.

This was kind of a fun game, but the community was never there. Usually just one or two servers with strange and stupid gameplay modes.

The community is super tiny I'll give you that, but the servers that are full don't have weird modes and stuff like you suggest. Most people playing on the 3-4 full servers are there because the settings are perfect and the server doesn't lag. I don't see admins on them often so saying people play on those servers because of admins isn't true.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Half the servers I joined when I played would ban you if you didn't crouch while moving or if you shot while moving. Realism nerds crack me up.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I don't know if it was the 24 hour free sale or not, but there are lots of players on this game right now. Lots of full servers, both action and realism mode, ranked and unranked, Punkbuster or not, as well as some modded maps.

Combat is solid, perhaps the best WWII combat yet. It does have a learning curve, you will die a LOT in the first 3 hours. If you are still with the game, you will find your aiming and life improving dramatically.

First come first serve is annoying but it also forces you to use weapons that you may not be good at. I don't like the spawn system but it is the only way you prevent silly stunts like 32 machine gunners on a team or something equally stupid like 32 tank drivers and commanders.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
It was only free for 24 hours. Today at 10 AM PDT, it would revert to the normal price if you did not download/register/install it.

Feb 4, 2009
aw crap I messed up and have single player only...why did they make this promo so confusing, single player free then full game free the next day.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Whats a better military game, RO2/Rising Storm or Arma II Combined Ops? Both on deal currently

arma 2 by far

bought the anniversary edition on sale not that long ago

you can also make your own missions on a huge map

there is arma 2 free to try but they do not have a lot of the campaign and missions and such from the full version

you can mess around in the map editor and also full multiplayer

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Military games are different from FPS games in that there is coherent story, and gameplay mechanics that make it feel like you are in a army. Arma games have this feel.

Red Orchestra is more like Call of Duty 1 multiplayer but even more realistic. But it is not a simulation game like Arma at all. There are still some gamey aspects with a focus on realism.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Arma is a great concept that is horribly executed. The character movements and animations are atrocious. You feel like your driving a vehicle Sim while moving around.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Arma is a great concept that is horribly executed. The character movements and animations are atrocious. You feel like your driving a vehicle Sim while moving around.

well i would like to jump but there is so much in the game that i like more than other shooters

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Sometimes I think that the guns like the MP-40 are too accurate. It is not hard to use the MP-40 to kill enemies 200 yards away if you are lying prone, holding your breath, and timing shots well.

The German MG is even better at this, basically a sniper rifle on steroids. I don't know how enemies miss me with this gun on a open field.

Edit = Tried out the Stg 44, and I don't have words to describe it. Very very accurate, decent rate of fire, looks awesome, good stopping power. Better than the MP-40 in every way. The sights can be a bit wonky.

Last edited:

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
Anyone know what upgrades happen to the guns or at what levels? And how does honor play into this?