Red Dead Redemption 2...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The graphics in the RDR2 trailer look absolutely awful. It'a easy to blame the consoles on it, but upclose the details/polygon complexity on the foliage, people, objects seems like a game that started development 4-5 years ago. This game truly would benefit from a PC release and mods. Comparison Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 trailer's graphics is like night day. GTA V also had horrendous looking graphics and it wasn't until it was ported to PC that it started to look somewhat decent. Still, this company never pushes the technical envelope. The trailer did nothing for me to reverse that theme.
They do push the technical envelop but in different ways. Look at GTA V, with everything that's going on I'm the backgrounds in it, that's what they use the power for. It feels like a real living city.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The graphics in the RDR2 trailer look absolutely awful. It'a easy to blame the consoles on it, but upclose the details/polygon complexity on the foliage, people, objects seems like a game that started development 4-5 years ago. This game truly would benefit from a PC release and mods. Comparison Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2 trailer's graphics is like night day. GTA V also had horrendous looking graphics and it wasn't until it was ported to PC that it started to look somewhat decent. Still, this company never pushes the technical envelope. The trailer did nothing for me to reverse that theme.
Settle down. Saying the graphics looked bad in GTA V for the consoles just makes you look like a sad elitist. The graphics looked great and they look even better on the PC version.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I thought graphics in GTA5 (at least on Xbox 360) were terrible. Just like every other GTA game they looked bad and had a terrible frame rate.

I was surprised to see a TV commercial for RDR2 over the weekend, since it isn't coming out until Fall 2017. I thought it was coming out sooner than that until I saw the end of the commercial. That seems like a really long way off to show a TV spot for it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I can't vouch for the 360 graphics as I played it on PS3. I know a lot of people came to the PS3 board to ask about the draw distance and blocky textures, but I never looked into it.

As for commercials, this is one reason I'm glad I haven't had TV since 2007. Previews for movies and video games are playing almost a year in advance now (for some stupid reason) and serve little purpose other than building hype. The last game I got hyped for after watching commercial after commercial was GTA IV and while the game is fun, it didn't live up to the expectation I had from watching the pre-rendered trailers and ultimately, I never finished it until three years after I bought the game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Kinda like Blizzard, some people don't like it or the style but they don't make bad games at all.
A lot of people won't agree with you on that one. After Blizzard North was let go, their company went straight into a, EA-style cash grab machine.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Me too. When has Rockstar actually made a bad game. Kinda like Blizzard, some people don't like it or the style but they don't make bad games at all.
Well I haven't loved all the GTA games like some people do, but I enjoyed RDR. It wasn't perfect and it got repetitive towards the end, but I still finished it

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I thought graphics in GTA5 (at least on Xbox 360) were terrible. Just like every other GTA game they looked bad and had a terrible frame rate.

I was surprised to see a TV commercial for RDR2 over the weekend, since it isn't coming out until Fall 2017. I thought it was coming out sooner than that until I saw the end of the commercial. That seems like a really long way off to show a TV spot for it.

When looking at the overall world they were trying to create and all the water physics and stuff when driving a boat etc it's kind of amazing it looked as good as it did on the 360 and PS3. When it launched on the PS4 and then on the PC the game was something else entirely, everything was cleaned up and the draw distances were much improved. The world was still limited in many ways with vast portions of the landscape devoid of any activity at all like the mountains and the desert. It was kind of like having 100 miles of land and only using 2 miles of it for anything meaningful. That was always my biggest complaint about Rockstar's open world games. That and the fact that so many buildings are just there and you can't interact with them in any way, not even just let you enter and take an elevator to the roof. Also the AI is pretty bad at times, especially the police AI.