Red Dead Redemption 2 pushed me over the edge, I think....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
About 50 minutes until I pick up my copy. And of course I won't play it tonight since I still have a couple of hours left in Yakuza Kiwami 2 lol.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I won't get to play until later tomorrow night but I got everything I needed to do done today like the gym and other things so I can have some time Friday night. Too bad I have a ton of things to do this weekend because I would like to spend more time to check it out. I'm avoiding the Reddit sub for it and any youtube videos I come across too.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Just got my copy. Now to finish Yakuza Kiwami 2 so I can start playing it lol.
LOL Who knows when I will get to play, my son has dibs, so I will have to either watch him, or play when he is sleeping or in class.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
LOL Who knows when I will get to play, my son has dibs, so I will have to either watch him, or play when he is sleeping or in class.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is about the only game that could stop me from playing RDR2. Just finishing the epilogue of the game so I'll install RDR2 tonight. Can't believe I need 105GB hard drive space though, I'm glad I bought a 1TB drive last month to replace the 160GB drive I had in my PS4 (I swapped my stock 500GB drive into my PS3 since I have a large amount of digital games for it).

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is about the only game that could stop me from playing RDR2. Just finishing the epilogue of the game so I'll install RDR2 tonight. Can't believe I need 105GB hard drive space though, I'm glad I bought a 1TB drive last month to replace the 160GB drive I had in my PS4 (I swapped my stock 500GB drive into my PS3 since I have a large amount of digital games for it).
I do sometimes regret selling my PS3 launch model, since the pro has no BC. Would love to play through all the resistance games right now.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Never seen a two hour install on a PS4 game. I could have downloaded the thing digitally in that time.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I do sometimes regret selling my PS3 launch model, since the pro has no BC. Would love to play through all the resistance games right now.

The PS3 is a must for me so I can play Yakuza 3-5 and God of War 2 (I could play it on my PS2 also, but much better to play at 60 fps on the PS3 remaster). Plus I love Nier and I'm really itching to play Drakengard 3 since I'm a huge Yoko Taro fan. Man I have this massive PS4/PS3 backlog and I'll probably buy a Switch with Super Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, and The World Ends With You on Black Friday. Though 2019 doesn't look too interesting to me so far other than Sekiro and maybe Days Gone, so maybe I'll be able to catch up a bit.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Never seen a two hour install on a PS4 game. I could have downloaded the thing digitally in that time.

Not sure how much is installing, but the digital download was like 95gigs for me (PS4). Estimated 4.5 hours when I started the download last night, but I'm sure Sony's servers were pretty busy at the time too.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I saw the Xbox One deal at Best Buy, and all I can say is... dang, they are pushing this game hard. But I guess it's not too crazy since Black Friday is only a month away, which means this is really more like an early Black Friday sale. (I'm expecting about the same discount on the Xbox One.) A coworker was talking about picking up the game and a console to play it on, so I suggested the S given probably not wanting to spend a ton for a single game. Although, I did mention the benefits of the X if desired, but with the discounts, the X costs twice as much.

I was tempted a bit to pick up the Xbox One X to replace my S model, but I thought about it... and I don't even turn on my Xbox One to begin with. :p It doesn't help when there's a PC with a 1080 Ti sitting right by it, and Microsoft puts their games out on PC anyway.

Gamestop has some really good trade in deals towards a one X too. I have no interest in dumping my ps4, but getting $250 toward a one x was a pretty nice offer.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Gamestop has some really good trade in deals towards a one X too. I have no interest in dumping my ps4, but getting $250 toward a one x was a pretty nice offer.
I wish I had my Xbox one still I could have traded that I'm towards the X. But then again I wouldn't really use it much. I may ask my brother to hand mine back to me so I can trade it in later when there are some sales and give him the X since I would not be using it much.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Amazon just delivered my copy. Just called my son, as I am still at work, and am having him install on my PS4 Pro so i can play as soon as I get home!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Installing mine right now. Not even a third of the way through the process. Probably will take a total of 40 minutes to install. The last time that took this long was mlb 17. There was also an update to the game but it downloaded really fast.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Downloaded and installed last night. Started the download at 9pm system stated 12 hours to finish but only took three hours total and I was playing at midnight. Played 30 minutes or so, game crashed, lost save and had to start over. Went to bed instead. Hopefully a patch is out today and I'll get some good time in tonight.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
U
Downloaded and installed last night. Started the download at 9pm system stated 12 hours to finish but only took three hours total and I was playing at midnight. Played 30 minutes or so, game crashed, lost save and had to start over. Went to bed instead. Hopefully a patch is out today and I'll get some good time in tonight.
Yep. Patch 1.02. Gonna start playing after I eat.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
DqaiRNnW4AUl0XW.jpg:large

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, Gamestop offers $175 for the Xbox One S as a trade-in and I can get the X for slightly over double that... not that useful, but still tempting just for the nerdy factor. ...or maybe I can sneak in the $250 trade-in offer with the $100 off... but I'm sure they weren't short-sighted enough to miss that combo. :p

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not sure how long the game is but I made it to chapter 2 and it said I was 22% done. The game is just..well freaking great. The environment is so detailed and rich and the NPC's are very natural. Everything you do affects your character like eating too much will make him fat, you can get too hot or cold, you can loose weight, etc. Your horse as well reacts to how you treat it.

I forgot to give it some treats when I got a new one early on and it just wasn't having it with me trying to command him. The way you can just take your saddle and put it on a new horse is cool too.

I did one of the first bounties and it was really fun to chase him down and lasso him. Not sure if I got the combat down yet but the hand to hand combat is pretty intense. You can juke while dodging which is a little different than just holding down the block button.

Just a few things that I wasn't so happy about but I'm sure these may get patched. One is Arthur walking so slow. Sometimes it feels like he's always stuck in mud. Another thing is the map and mini map icons are very small. I'm playing on a 55 inch 4k tv and it's hard to tell what each icon is because they are tiny.

The camp activities I have no clue about as to how to bring up your medical supplies, food, and ammo. You can donate food or money to the camp fund too. I probably didn't progress far enough in the story to figure out how to manage it all. But you have a lot of small icons in the camp and tiny exclamation marks near them. I wasn't sure what that meant. I did figure out how to do some chores.

Oh and I am also not sure how to initiate hunting outside of a mission that had to do with hunting deer and a bear. The bear kicked my butt partly because I keep forgetting my stronger weapons are on my horse and often I'll hop off and stroll around in awe of the atmosphere.

It's amazing, the hype of this game is all true. The game doesn't do a very good job of explaining things like where to go for hunting or what to do with your camp. The map doesn't help having tiny icons on it but you can open it up and zoom in. You can easily just get lost in the wilderness. But it's awesome to explore. Just don't make the mistake of saying oh I'll just walk over there it shouldn't take long. Always bring your horse..this game was made for your horse. When you bond with it, eventually he starts following you on his own.

Oh and for anyone playing on PS4..I found it really annoying you had to his start then press map each time. I found out if you hold start, it takes you to the map. Not sure why they didn't utilize the touch pad for this.

I wish I didn't have so much crap to do this weekend as I would love to continue. In fact it's pretty early now and I may go start up again.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm only an hour or so in, and games always take a while to get me hooked, but it's a bore so far. I feel like all I've been doing is holding forward on the joystick and holding or tapping x a couple times. I'm hoping it picks up soon (I'm on my way to the train)

The game looks incredible, though a lot of it feels like a cutscene that you have to control. It's definitely a strain on my release day ps4, the fan is on full speed almost constantly. I wonder how the pro does, and if the game looks even better somehow

I hope I can get into it, but these games have to stop thinking their stories are interesting

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm only an hour or so in, and games always take a while to get me hooked, but it's a bore so far. I feel like all I've been doing is holding forward on the joystick and holding or tapping x a couple times. I'm hoping it picks up soon (I'm on my way to the train)

The game looks incredible, though a lot of it feels like a cutscene that you have to control. It's definitely a strain on my release day ps4, the fan is on full speed almost constantly. I wonder how the pro does, and if the game looks even better somehow

I hope I can get into it, but these games have to stop thinking their stories are interesting

No offense but a lot of people play this for the story. It’s not all satire like GTA. RDR had a fantastic storyline.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I never played the first one, but I never played a video game that had a story as engaging as a half decent tv show. But it's true, it's just not something I'm looking for out of a game; I want fun/action, not story. I mean, I never even got very far into GTA V

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Red dead is mostly about exploration and customization of your character, surviving, looting, robbing and other outlaw activities that generate money. The story itself I'm sure will pick up. Both of them if I remember correctly start off very slowly.

There's 8 chapters but 111 story mission and not counting the side activities like bounties and other random activities you may find while out exploring.

Reactions: slayer202

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Also the hdr implementation on PS4 pro sucks. It looks so much better with her turned off. More sharper and the colors pop nicely. Spiderman, last of us, good of war all look great with hdr and very crisp whereas here it makes everything looks like a yellow film on top of everything. Even with the hdr brightness set to the value of 150 in the beginning it did make it brighter but still looked filmy and yellow.

I turned off hdr in the PS4 settings and it looks a whole lot better.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Crap I lost my hat in the very beginning of the game in that first mission. Figured I'd be able to steal hats off corpses but the game won't let me pick up other peoples' hats off the ground.