Recycle your dead monitors, old computers, etc., at Office Depot for Free!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TrentSteel

Oct 9, 2003
Originally posted by: toant103

wow, can you just throw them away in a dumpster?

It's illegal in some states, but the laws on it don't tend to get much publicity. Soon it will be mandatory for technology manufacturers to arrange for the safe disposal of their products after they are past their prime.

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
I have been stopping by once a day to get rid of some of my old stuff, that has just been sitting around.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Aztech
Oh thank God! I can finally get rid of my Cyrix 486 DLC - 40 MHz machine :eek:
Some of yall prolly weren't around when that was the shiznit :laugh:

cyrixes were NEVER the shiznit.

KerriAnn

Feb 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Carbonadium4
does this take long or do you need to wait on long azz line ?

i have not encountered any lines at my local OD, and I live in Silicon Valley. I doubt that there are lines at all- but you could always give them a phone call ahead of time to make sure.

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: dethman

I remember that era - I remember skipping past this garbage after my 486DX33 and going for the DX4 - 125Mhz w/ 1 mb of Ram - WOOT

stillkicking

Jun 29, 2004
Sorry for the rant, but if he got those monitors; I now doubt he is going to pay $25 a piece to properly dispose of them now which makes their recycling attempt completely useless in this instance. What a waste of a great idea, without adequate supervision.

OK, I guess I have been judged as a polluter before the fact. Gotta have that supervision to stop the greedy evil people among us who couldn't care less about how they are destroying the earth. Thank God for those who want an omnipresent government to watch over us all for our own safety.

If your old equipment still works why not just donate it and get yourself a tax write-off? That's what I do.

Maybe 15 years ago or so I went with several people in a small bus crammed to the top and then some with donated crap for this orphanage in southern Mexico. The old clothes were probably of some value but the numerous Apple computers (those original ones) were long past any value even to where we were taking them. I never did figure out what exactly was going to happen to the stuff and why were we even taking it. The organizer was a fat assed former hippie who told everyone prior to crossing the border that there were to be NO drugs during the trip. Then as soon as we reached the first major city he disappeared to score. :) The priest at the orphanage was an obvious alkie who almost starting crying when he saw the half gallon bottle of Jim Bean that we had brought him.

I just quit my job at Office Depot a couple of weeks ago, and they do NOT throw them in a dumpster. They put all the recycled electronics on a pallet and they get shipped to HP. HP has recycling facilities and the dispose of old electronics properly.

OK, I'll take your word for it. However, I went past the place again today and the stuff is still scattered all over everywhere.

Carbonadium4

Apr 28, 2004
Well, im fubared.. no OD near me in CT and no OD near me in NYC, i dont think ill drive pass bridges and pay toll each day to bring back 1 piece of equipment.. ill hve to look for other places.

jmunjr

Mar 8, 2000
I take my old computer junk and lug it to the roofs of buildings and drop them off the edge, sometimes 30 stories up. It makes for some cool entertainment. I hit some old lady's wheelchair with a 17" dead Idek monitor once when she got up to get a drink of water in the plaza below. Man that scared the crap out of her. Her depends must have been soiled good.. I've squashed a few rat dogs pretty good too. I could hear the yelps all the way to the roof.

If you got enough stuff and people and two adjoining roofs you can try mid air collisions - those are slick cause the people below hear the noise before the stuff hits and they all start scrambling in terror. Pretty funny stuff..

-Crazy Eddie...

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: jnmunsey
I take my old computer junk and lug it to the roofs of buildings and drop them off the edge, sometimes 30 stories up. It makes for some cool entertainment. I hit some old lady's wheelchair with a 17" dead Idek monitor once when she got up to get a drink of water in the plaza below. Man that scared the crap out of her. Her depends must have been soiled good.. I've squashed a few rat dogs pretty good too. I could hear the yelps all the way to the roof.

If you got enough stuff and people and two adjoining roofs you can try mid air collisions - those are slick cause the people below hear the noise before the stuff hits and they all start scrambling in terror. Pretty funny stuff..

-Crazy Eddie...

I think you need help if you are serious.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
hmmm my 19" crt recently busted, I wonder if officemax recycles (closest OD is like 10 miles away while nearest omax is 5 min walking distance)?

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Marauder-

I remember that era - I remember skipping past this garbage after my 486DX33 and going for the DX4 - 125Mhz w/ 1 mb of Ram - WOOT
My dad still uses his Cyrix 120 (pentium 133 comparable?) to this day. I think it has a Diamond video card with 4MB and a 2GB hard-drive. I think it was around $1,500 -- "mail-order" (when people were still nervous about buying things from companies in another state). Quite an upgrade from his 12Mhz 286 with a 20MB drive and CGA monitor.
It's serves his purposes just fine, though.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: ttown
Originally posted by: Marauder-

My dad still uses his Cyrix 120 (pentium 133 comparable?) to this day. I think it has a Diamond video card with 4MB and a 2GB hard-drive. I think it was around $1,500 -- "mail-order" (when people were still nervous about buying things from companies in another state). Quite an upgrade from his 12Mhz 286 with a 20MB drive and CGA monitor.
It's serves his purposes just fine, though.

At the time of the 486DX4's I remember the standard ram was at least 8 megs, I think you needed 16 megs to run windows 95 well. I remember buying 16 megabytes for 150$ to upgrade to 24 megs of RAM!. And that was a steal back then at fry's!

Aztech

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002

Yeah, you're right. I bought mine used for $700 and got scammed too, because the 250MB HD was full of bad sectors. It's got a 1X top-loading CD-ROM! You actually eject the whole drive to put a disc in it.
I mostly used it for DOS games, but it's been taking up room in my garage for many years now.

popeye44

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2000
My city has what me and the wife fondly call house puking month about once a year. They will pick up basically anything you throw in the road except for tires. If you put washers/refridgerators out there they send a different truck but mostly it's picked up by a loader and put into another truck.. I've been getting rid of excess computer stuff this way for a couple years.
They have it all sorted and containerized back at their plant. Works good for me.

I don't trust the government to look out for anybody but themselves.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Plenty of money to be made in recycling, just not in small amounts, or if a lot of labor is required to separate the materials. Where I live in socal I know of half a dozen places where you basically back up your car or truck and put each type of scrap on a scale and get paid for it. This isn't the ten times more common aluminum can type place, but ones that accept circuit boards and industrial scrap metals.

BTW right now the scrap vs resell line seems to be about a 400 mhz P2.

MrNutz

Banned
Oct 18, 2001
OTOH, I do know of at least one very small place that used to take mainframe components and recycle them, apparently for some of the older chips and boards, it is possible to reclaim a small amount of gold off of them.
Actually there are a number of businesses that pay for you to ship them old PCBs. From what I've heard, they want the the silver from the silver solder.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cpals
Originally posted by: jnmunsey

-Crazy Eddie...

I think you need help if you are serious.

I think that I saw some similar things, on "Late Night", involving flourescent lights, bowling balls, and bathtubs. Oh yeah, some paint too. Don't ask. It was NBC.

Edit: Disclaimer - don't try that at home kids! Besides, the Late Night gag involved only inanimate objects and an empty alley. I cannot condone any "drop tests" involving living things.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
People would otherwise pay for this? How silly. I have a 90 gallon bin I put my garbage in every week. I'd simply fill it with monitors if I needed to (assuming the only alternative to OD was paying).

KerriAnn

Feb 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
People would otherwise pay for this? How silly. I have a 90 gallon bin I put my garbage in every week. I'd simply fill it with monitors if I needed to (assuming the only alternative to OD was paying).

you obviously didn't read through the thread before you posted. or else you don't care.

and yes, people have to pay for this. in northern california, it is a big deal if you get caught dumping your monitors, etc. in the dumpsters. here in silicon valley, they have ot enforce laws like this, or else it would get way out of hand...

edit: i just saw those pix of (your?) baby- omg how cute!!!