Recruiter calls me about a job...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Would so do this. Just because it's in Iraq doesn't garauntee you'll be in a hot zone. And once you get out, I'm sure it will look great to further employers. And tho they might drop your salary a bit, even half of 196k is great. Definitely take it.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I had an offer for $1500/day to go over and passed on it. Had my security clearance and everything then decided not to do it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
LOL@the people risking life for 196k a year.

There's 1/4 million soldiers doing that for about 1/8th of the income. And their chances of dying are WAY higher.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
From the job description you'll spend a lot of time on travel and working at unsafe locations, so this sounds a lot more risky than a base job.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
definitely ask for more money. one that you would have a hard time say no to it. go tell them that's the number you're looking for.

for your reference, i work at home 2-3 days a week (which i wouldn't trade out right now), make 125k. In NYC i'm considered right above the poverty line, my car is 6 years old and i live in a coop. but i personally would not even think about taking any Iraqi job unless it's at least 500k.
although, to be fair, no one would need me overseas, i'm a software consultant and i do most of my work remotely.

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
A buddy of mine currently works for Lockheed and Martin as an engineer (not sure of specifics). Anyways he was offered something like 250k a year tax free. But he would have to go into areas that have been evacuated after they have been essentially demolished and restructure them.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Lockheed Martin, Halliburton, Northrop Gruman, they're all tax money anyway, so they can pay you tax-free!

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yeah but I also read that over 1000 contractors have been killed and who knows how many have been wounded.

Nobody even talks about the psychological problems.

Working in the green zone doesn't mean anything.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
that's because sadly, a majority of those guys and gals of ours doing the fighting need money to go to college and the only solution for them is to go into the army for the financial aid.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: EKKC
that's because sadly, a majority of those guys and gals of ours doing the fighting need money to go to college and the only solution for them is to go into the army for the financial aid.

I don't buy that. I bet less than 10% will ever get a bachelors.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
take it, grow a beard, get a tan, wear a robe, bow down and pray to mecca and medina so often and don't tell anyone you are American...then take the money and run

Feb 6, 2007
I'd do it, but my career goals are probably different than yours. But the benefits outweigh the negatives in my mind; huge salary, not much to spend money on so saving would be real easy, plenty of time to develop my writing, and a great story to tell people. The negatives are obvious; risk of death (though contractors generally aren't out in the streets so much as in the green zone in bases), long hours (but there's nothing to do but work and bullshit with people), time away from friends and family (but I'm planning on moving to a new city soon anyway with no friends or family). Seeing as how I want to be a writer, I need time to write, which I could get, and I need money to keep me fed, clothed and sheltered. Coming off of 1 (admittedly incredibly hard) year with enough money to focus exclusively on writing for 4 or 5 years easily, well, that's a no-brainer for me. But those are my goals, not yours.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Are all living expenses paid? For example, do you have to pay for housing, meals, utilities, transportation, etc.? If not, that sounds like something I'd consider.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
1. take steps to blend in with locals
2. make shitloads of cash
3. retire early

?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: randay
Face paint!

BTW, here are a few dozen reasons to stay stateside: Text & Text

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I know of a couple of people who are either in Iraq or Afghanistan right now doing contractor work. One guy works in a cafeteria in Afghanistan and makes 95K, and the other guy does basic maintenance on buildings in Iraq for 105K. The money is tax free up to 75 or 80k (not sure which one)

I'm seriously considering it myself. If I do it for a year I could have a nice chunk of money to pay for the last two years of my college and a nice downpayment on a future house. Plus it would look good on a resume.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Knew a guy who went over there for a couple years, working for Halliburton. He went over as a diesel mechanic, but switched to hvac tech once he got there, since it offered more $$$, and they needed those as well. He told me the first year, they take taxes out of your paycheck, then you get them back after you've been there a year, and file your tax return. Guess it's to keep people that bow out before the year's over from getting royally screwed by the tax man.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
There was someone who posted a scenario question here about 2 years ago about a job in Iraq. It was a position in IT and the pay was lower (about 90-100k) but the best part is most of it was untaxed!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Take it.

id risk life for 196k a year.

i mean, you might as well give it a shot.

if ya dont like it, leave.

worst case scenario: you get blown up..but come'on, it could happen anywhere. ;)

Worst case scenario? you have no imagination.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
That $196k will come in handy when you come back home and need to convert your house/car to be wheelchair compatible.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: randay
Face paint!

BTW, here are a few dozen reasons to stay stateside: Text & Text

seriously. my cousin was offered a position in iraq and turned it down because hed rather not be blown to bits for any money.

i *might* consider it for about 5 minutes if i didnt have kids. i figure at about 5 minutes id regain my senses.