Recruiter calls me about a job...

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
I get a phone call from this guy. He said he found my resume online and thought that my background was a perfect fit for this one position. Salary starts at $196k with a potential of earning up to $296k. However, there's no way in hell I'd work in Iraq as an industrial adviser. Plus, they expect you to work 10 hours a day for six days and only get two weeks of vacation. I'll pass.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
ok.

i wouldnt take the risk either. maybe if they up it to half a mil a year i'll think about it.
i'm wondering what is ur current salary range? is it 1.5 of your current salary? double it? triple it?

just wondering.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Take it.

id risk life for 196k a year.

i mean, you might as well give it a shot.

if ya dont like it, leave.

worst case scenario: you get blown up..but come'on, it could happen anywhere. ;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
So is this like 3x to 4x what you would make in the states? If I was single I would consider it for a year or two and basically bank every penny I made.

You could move back with enough money to pay cash for a home and a nice car (depending on where you live) and then live a very nice life from there on out.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
but a dead man with balls is still dead.
a pussy, maybe he gets to called names, but still has a lifetime to redeem himself from the label.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I'd look more into it. In Iraq you don't really have a social life so working a crapload doesn't matter. Most guys work on bases which are fairly safe. I'd bring my wife to Camp Liberty which was where I was at. Sure, a few people died on the base while I was there, but it's really rare. Plus there aint shit to spend it on while you are there, so you're gonna save it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: EKKC
a pussy, maybe he gets to called names, but still has a lifetime to redeem himself from the label.

How many contractors have actually died over there? I'd be curious to see what the chances of death are vs. your typical commute to work each day in the state.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

once a pussy always a pussy.

<these are meant to be humorous remarks>

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
So is this like 3x to 4x what you would make in the states? If I was single I would consider it for a year or two and basically bank every penny I made.

You could move back with enough money to pay cash for a home and a nice car (depending on where you live) and then live a very nice life from there on out.

I understand the home, but why would you blow the rest on a "nice car"? Cheap car + invest the leftovers. I really can't understand the $20-50k car market anyways. That's an aweful lot to pay for transportation.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
My friend's mom works in Iraq as a cafeteria manager. She gets paid $80k a year. I believe it is tax free.

Seriously, I would consider it if I didn't have any responsibilities. Plus, I have a friend who was part of the first bunch who went into Baghdad. He served his duties there for a few years. That wasn't fun. He tells me he'd take any place than there any day.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005

How many contractors have actually died over there? I'd be curious to see what the chances of death are vs. your typical commute to work each day in the state.

i guess. it really depends on the job nature. what is an industrial adviser? does he get to stay inside the green zone at all times?

i still wouldnt do it unless its a crazy amount of money involved. not worth the risk to life, not worth the boredom.

you lose:
peace of mind
time with family/friends
social life

you gain:
some more money?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: TallBill

I understand the home, but why would you blow the rest on a "nice car"? Cheap car + invest the leftovers. I really can't understand the $20-50k car market anyways. That's an aweful lot to pay for transportation.

Nice to me is like a $25,000 Accord or the like.

Life is a balance of saving and spending.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
ok.

i wouldnt take the risk either. maybe if they up it to half a mil a year i'll think about it.
i'm wondering what is ur current salary range? is it 1.5 of your current salary? double it? triple it?

just wondering.

$196k is way more than my current salary. I had a friend who worked as an engineering manager, and his salary was around $130k. I'm still a peon.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Job description:

As an Industrial Advisor for Electricity, the incumbent performs duties and responsibilities which may include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:

* Assess local capacity of the power grid and local electricity generation strategies to help increase production;
* Advise the provincial government on electricity issues, including management of the provincial power grid, and problems with efficiency and reliability to help them improve local distribution and increase the number of ratepayers;
* Advise the provincial government on issues affecting the electricity sector to include transmission line security and repair;
* Advocate the needs of the provincial electricity system with national-level ministries;
* Build Iraqi capacity by applying engineering theory and principles to problems of industrial layout or manufacturing production;
* Advise on managing aging infrastructure for power plants;
* Prepare and submit appropriate documents such as analytical reports, briefing materials, decision memoranda, correspondence, and others related to the specific area(s) of assignment;
* Advise the provincial council and its electricity-related entities of current national-level plans, policies, and priorities;
* Provide mentoring to counterpart Iraqi officials to build capacity in project identification and assessment, prioritization, development, execution, monitoring, and evaluation.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Qacer
I get a phone call from this guy. He said he found my resume online and thought that my background was a perfect fit for this one position. Salary starts at $196k with a potential of earning up to $296k. However, there's no way in hell I'd work in Iraq as an industrial adviser. Plus, they expect you to work 10 hours a day for six days and only get two weeks of vacation. I'll pass.

What would you spend your money and time on over there? Think of how much money you could accumulate with a few years work. :)

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
I know a pharmacist who goes to Saudi Arabia to work as a pharmacist 3-6 months of the year.

The money he'd earn as a pharmacist working in the US for a year, he'd earn it in Saudi Arabia within 6 months doing the same job without paying taxes.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I'd do it. In fact, I'd look at more jobs in Iraq if I didn't think my wife'd kill me, my mother disown me, & my brother join me.