Recovering WOW addict needs MMO fix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Is DAoC still around? It's downright geriatric today but after playing UO, EQ1, EQ2, DAoC and currently WoW I still thing Dark Age of Camelot offered something pretty unique in terms of it's progression and end game RvR opportunities that nothing since has duplicated. From a pure gameplay perspective it might be worth checking out if you haven't played it before.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: hooflung
Yes, wow is the best because everyone plays it.

...oh wait.

It's the other way around and quite unfortunate that this mediocre title is all there is out there.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Guild Wars looks good for PvP. How does PVE affect PVP though? Pretty much my main impetus for PVE progression in WOW was to improve PVP.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Just wait for WAR. If you want PVP now go for EVE but it's going to take a few months to develop a good PVP character and understand the mechanics and market.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: swaytech
Hellgate is coming out soon :)

Halloween.

It is MMO ... and very Diabloesque

Hack 'n slash with good graphics and and interesting MQ and fun quests.

Check it out ... i played the Beta till Level20 for 30 hours [all SP] and it has me hooked

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/about

Diablo, Hellgate, and Guild Wars are not MMO's. They are CORPG's....Co-Op RPGS.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Halloween.

Check it out ... i played the Beta till Level20 for 30 hours [all SP] and it has me hooked

HellGate:London is MMO ... nothing co-op about it
:roll:

--check it out for yourself :p

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45282
Flagship Studios revealed this week that the game's multiplayer component is a subscription-based online service. Speaking to Shacknews at CES in Las Vegas, CEO Bill Roper noted that the game draws significantly from massively multiplayer games, with genre trappings such as guilds, continually developed content, a full social system, and raid-type gameplay.

Drawing similarities to ArenaNet's Guild Wars, Hellgate's online is heavily instanced. Group and solo PvE is the game's main focus; PvP will exist in a small scale form, but is not a major element of the initial launch. It will also feature a Hardcore mode similar to that found in Blizzard's Diablo II, a game on which many members of the Hellgate team worked. Hellgate's multiplayer will contain all of the missions and story from the single-player aspect of the game, as well as exclusive gameplay modes and content. Like the single-player game, it will be comprised of dynamically generated areas and items. Further content will be continually added over time by a dedicated Flagship team. ...
"I think that just as Diablo and Diablo II started this religious argument over whether they're RPGs or not, I think that Hellgate will spark that same debate over whether it's an MMO or not," commented Roper, who added that the game has been designed as an MMO from day one.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Anubis
just reroll in a new char in Wow, thats really the only answer, and warhammer will not replace WoW when it comes out, the people i know that played in the beta all say that WoW despite its probs is still better/more fun

WoW and guild wars are pretty much similar in the fact that they are MMOs only.

If you like WoW you wont like warhammer.

Go run the same instance 30 times for a drop imo.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Acanthus
just reroll in a new char in Wow, thats really the only answer, and warhammer will not replace WoW when it comes out, the people i know that played in the beta all say that WoW despite its probs is still better/more fun

from what i've heard, it sounds like wow and warhammer will be pretty close to each other.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
I can't stand MMO but if you want something similar without the MMO that is quite fun, try Overlord.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I just resubbed last night and played for a bit and played some today.

I don't know why I keep doing it. It never fails that I play for like a day or 2 but can't get back into it. Last time I played was about a year ago.
Even playing with the expansion and starting a new character of the new factions, there's just something thats not there any more or I just know what the end game is like and its like why bother?

Maybe it would be better if I had friends that played...who knows.

I miss playing an MMO though, but nothing can grab my attention or they just plain suck.
I've tried pretty much all of them over the years.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: pontifex

This is precisely why. Soloing in an MMO can be very boring....

Questing [running instances, running amuck around the lands, fighting your enemies on the battlefield, or hanging out at the local virtual pub] with "friends" [local people you know or people you've befriended in game] increases the funability by a significant amount.

Since you resubbed - maybe try to get into a largish guild?

Other than that - if WoW's genre type of MMO doesn't thrill you - maybe look elsewhere? A lot of the popular MMO's have trial options - EVE, LOTRO, DDO [er maybe not anymore], etc.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: coloumb

This is precisely why. Soloing in an MMO can be very boring....

Questing [running instances, running amuck around the lands, fighting your enemies on the battlefield, or hanging out at the local virtual pub] with "friends" [local people you know or people you've befriended in game] increases the funability by a significant amount.

Since you resubbed - maybe try to get into a largish guild?

Other than that - if WoW's genre type of MMO doesn't thrill you - maybe look elsewhere - EVE Online, Tabula Rasa, etc....

i did join a large guild for a little bit but there was just way too muh inane chatter in guild chat and people's legit questions were just getting buried beneath it all.

Haven't found another yet, but I'm still in the newb areas.

Here is a list of MMOs I've played already:

UO
DAOC
SWG
FFXI
WoW
CoH
Lineage
Lineag2
EQ
EQ2
Tabula Rasa
EVE
RF Online
Archlord
LOTRO
DDO
AO
Vanguard
9Dragons
Silkroad
GW
Planetside
Fury
Auto Assault
Conquer Online
Dungeon Runners
Face of Mankind
Fly for Fun
Granado Espada
Hero Online
Knight Online
Horizons
Kal Online
Risk Your Life
ROSE Online
Runescape
Space Cowboy

There may even be a few more F2P ones that I missed.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

from what i've heard, it sounds like wow and warhammer will be pretty close to each other.

Sadly with EA on board, im almost betting on it.

I wanted DAOC2 with a warhammer theme, it looks like its going to be wow2 with a warhammer theme.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

I don't know why I keep doing it. It never fails that I play for like a day or 2 but can't get back into it. Last time I played was about a year ago.
Even playing with the expansion and starting a new character of the new factions, there's just something thats not there any more or I just know what the end game is like and its like why bother?

I miss playing an MMO though, but nothing can grab my attention or they just plain suck.

Yeah, the only way I could really go back to WOW is if I decided to pursue endgame raiding or PVP seriously and join a serious raiding guild, which is where aforementioned tyrannical demands on your time come in. It's not so much the amount of time you have to spend playing, but that you eventually end up having to reschedule your day around the game.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

Yeah, the only way I could really go back to WOW is if I decided to pursue endgame raiding or PVP seriously and join a serious raiding guild, which is where aforementioned tyrannical demands on your time come in. It's not so much the amount of time you have to spend playing, but that you eventually end up having to reschedule your day around the game.

been there, done that...got really burned out. When a guild wants to raid 4 days a week, and each raid takes 4-5 hours...yeah, not my cup of tea.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
There's a free game called Last chaos which Ive been playing for a while. It's the first MMORPG that Ive played, and quite honestly, if WOW is anything like this, I cant see why anyone plays it. Seems like the whole game is about level grinding.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
EQ2 does have servers dedicated to pvp rules.

Nagafen last I heard was the most populated non-RP designated (Venekor got its RP tag on the server list 2 days after launch) pvp server.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
EQ2 does have servers dedicated to pvp rules.

Nagafen last I heard was the most populated non-RP designated (Venekor got its RP tag on the server list 2 days after launch) pvp server.

EQ1 did as well, but it didn't make PvP rewarding as WoW does. Worse, if you play the wrong class that server would be hell on you. WoW is at least somewhat balanced based on PvP.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
LOTRO was terrible IMO. I wouldn't recommend. Very boring, seems more like a single player game.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: CKent
I'm in a similar situation, just kinda bored with WoW and increasingly unhappy with what the game's been since the expansion. Unfortunately I don't think there's really an MMORPG out there that integrates PvP with PvE very well. As I understand it, LotRO has little to no PvP and no incentive to do it. Warhammer looks promising but isn't out yet. Vanguard died the minute Sony bought it in May '05. It's kinda depressing that developers seem so out of touch.

Vangaurd died the moment Sigil and Brad McQuaid released it in a horrible un-finished alpha state. SOE just bought the remains and is now bringing back some life into that game and taking it past the beta state.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Halloween.

HellGate:London is MMO ... nothing co-op about it
:roll:

--check it out for yourself :p

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45282
Flagship Studios revealed this week that the game's multiplayer component is a subscription-based online service. Speaking to Shacknews at CES in Las Vegas, CEO Bill Roper noted that the game draws significantly from massively multiplayer games, with genre trappings such as guilds, continually developed content, a full social system, and raid-type gameplay.

Drawing similarities to ArenaNet's Guild Wars, Hellgate's online is heavily instanced. Group and solo PvE is the game's main focus; PvP will exist in a small scale form, but is not a major element of the initial launch. It will also feature a Hardcore mode similar to that found in Blizzard's Diablo II, a game on which many members of the Hellgate team worked. Hellgate's multiplayer will contain all of the missions and story from the single-player aspect of the game, as well as exclusive gameplay modes and content. Like the single-player game, it will be comprised of dynamically generated areas and items. Further content will be continually added over time by a dedicated Flagship team. ...
"I think that just as Diablo and Diablo II started this religious argument over whether they're RPGs or not, I think that Hellgate will spark that same debate over whether it's an MMO or not," commented Roper, who added that the game has been designed as an MMO from day one.

If I can't wander into a instance zone and run into people but instead I have to be invited into the zone in order to interact or be in the same area as them then it's not a MMO IMHO. Guild Wars is like Diablo except it has a the game lobby in the game via instanced towns. In GW just like D2 you have to be invited into a group in order to enter the same instance pve zone someone is in of which it only holds a very small amount of people. GW just like D2 is not a MMO because of how it is setup in this manner and even as stated by the developers it's not a MMO but a CoRPG.

The Bill Roper can hype it all he wants but if I can't randomly wander around in and out of zones someone else occupies without having to group with them as was done in GW and Diablo 2 then it's not a MMO. If the amount of non-grouped people allowed into these instance zones are limited to less then 50 then it's not a MMO IMHO. It needs to handle populations in the same manner as EQ2, Vangaurd, WoW, LOTRO, EVE Online etc...Part of being a MMO is having a world in which others can wander about freely without having to be grouped to enter the same instance zone as the other person and the number of random people/groups allowed into these zones. Even in EQ2 which is heavily instance I can very easily wander around and run into tons of groups, raids, people soloing etc... without issues.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

How so? WAR end game will be based on RVR style PVP much how like DAOC was in it's hay day. I do not see the same style of game play as WoW were endgame = grind out raids, factions, or HK points in instance pvp bg's/arenas.