Recovering WOW addict needs MMO fix

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
I know WOW is Mr. Big Dick among the MMO's, but after hitting 70 with 2 chars, the demand on my time became overly tyrannical to advance further. So, I figure my next best option is to start from scratch with a new MMO. However, what I fear is that coming from the monolith that is WOW, I'll be disappointed by having a smaller community and less support/content.

So what's the next best thing to heroin?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Well you can try Lord of the Rings online, which is what I play. It has quite a bit of content (they just added a whole bunch more free content) and a good player base. It is quite different than WoW, or so I'm told, but I love it.

Let me know if you want to try it out because I can refer you and get you a 10 day free trial. You can get a free trial off the LOTRO website, but if I refer you and you end up buying the game/subscribing, the referral will get you a lower mothly or lifetime price. :)

If you are interested just PM me your e-mail address.

Cheers,
KT

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: CaptainJackSwallows
maple story is a free and homosexual game that has roughly 3mil player or so. i hate it but many like it. guild wars is imo rly good. once u get past the intro and get deep into the game, its real fun. you might get bored after 1k hours or so unless u buy more than one campaign. archlord is another free game that some call HELLA GOOD and some call FCKING BAD. i honestly have no clue. GL.

Do you live under power lines?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: CaptainJackSwallows
maple story is a free and homosexual game that has roughly 3mil player or so. i hate it but many like it. guild wars is imo rly good. once u get past the intro and get deep into the game, its real fun. you might get bored after 1k hours or so unless u buy more than one campaign. archlord is another free game that some call HELLA GOOD and some call FCKING BAD. i honestly have no clue. GL.

Are you drunk? :confused:

KT

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Well you can try Lord of the Rings online, which is what I play. It has quite a bit of content (they just added a whole bunch more free content) and a good player base. It is quite different than WoW, or so I'm told, but I love it.

Let me know if you want to try it out because I can refer you and get you a 10 day free trial. You can get a free trial off the LOTRO website, but if I refer you and you end up buying the game/subscribing, the referral will get you a lower mothly or lifetime price. :)

Cheers,
KT

I just might take you up on that once my new PC gets here. Does LOTRO have a decent PvP scene?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I'm in a similar situation, just kinda bored with WoW and increasingly unhappy with what the game's been since the expansion. Unfortunately I don't think there's really an MMORPG out there that integrates PvP with PvE very well. As I understand it, LotRO has little to no PvP and no incentive to do it. Warhammer looks promising but isn't out yet. Vanguard died the minute Sony bought it in May '05. It's kinda depressing that developers seem so out of touch.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
just reroll in a new char in Wow, thats really the only answer, and warhammer will not replace WoW when it comes out, the people i know that played in the beta all say that WoW despite its probs is still better/more fun

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Play WoW and level up to 19/29/39 for some BG-only action.

19 really inst that fun, the 29 bracket is much better IMO

at 19 you have like 2 abilities

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
EVE Online is the only solid PVP MMO. Everything else is just a bolt on UT2k4 mod that gives you a loot prize when you win and nothing when you loose. EVE when you die, it means something. When you kill someone, it means something.

LOTRO is a pretty version of WoW with the art taken in a different direction. If you squint you might not know the difference. Its PVP is different, and still pointless.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Cheers,
KT

I just might take you up on that once my new PC gets here. Does LOTRO have a decent PvP scene?

Not really, but I do know people that only play the PvP in LOTRO. However, if you are the hardcore PvP type, then this game is probably not for you.

But if you still want to try it, let me know. :)

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: hooflung
LOTRO is a pretty version of WoW with the art taken in a different direction. If you squint you might not know the difference.

If you can't see the difference on first glance, there is something wrong with your eyes.

Apparently many things are the same, I don't know and I don't care, but the graphics in LOTRO are leaps and bounds ahead of WoW. Some people don't care about that kind of stuff, but I do.

KT

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: CKent
I'm in a similar situation, just kinda bored with WoW and increasingly unhappy with what the game's been since the expansion. Unfortunately I don't think there's really an MMORPG out there that integrates PvP with PvE very well. As I understand it, LotRO has little to no PvP and no incentive to do it. Warhammer looks promising but isn't out yet. Vanguard died the minute Sony bought it in May '05. It's kinda depressing that developers seem so out of touch.

Vanguard died way before Sony attempted to rescue it....

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Anubis

True, but if you are slow leveler, like myself, you can squat in the 19 bracket for while, then grind out to 29.

If it wasn't for my semi-twinked 29 "Rogue in a Dress," I would have canceled WoW months ago, I do believe.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
How about Everquest 2? The next expansion is 2-3 weeks out and buying it gives you the initial game, the first 3 expansions and 3 adventure packs. That is enough to last you a very long time, all for 40$ or so. The game in its current state is loads of fun, we see new players daily, a lot from WoW in fact.

I'm sure I got all the Sony basher radars flashing with this but you can ignore them since most haven't played Eq2 at all or played in beta or release. The game has an awesome community with boatloads more content than WoW, there is no reason to dislike it unless you absolutely need to be max level in a month.

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
EverQuest 2 is a GREAT game. THe only problem that I have found with it is that there simply aren't that many people playing it :(

I play both, and enjoy both. I definitely recommend picking it up and seeing if you like it!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: techgamer
Is Hellgate London an online game? I thought it was just a single player?

It's both.

KT

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

I have a 19 twink and a 39 twink. My 39 Hunter was insanely fun to play, and incredibly dominant fully twinked at that level, so you may have a point. I did enjoy lower level PVP more since twink HP scales faster than DPS, so you don't really get 2 or 3-shotted at those levels.

I always enjoyed making the twink more than actually playing it though. That kind of min-maxing has always drawn me in.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Feneant2
How about Everquest 2? The next expansion is 2-3 weeks out and buying it gives you the initial game, the first 3 expansions and 3 adventure packs. That is enough to last you a very long time, all for 40$ or so. The game in its current state is loads of fun, we see new players daily, a lot from WoW in fact.

I'm sure I got all the Sony basher radars flashing with this but you can ignore them since most haven't played Eq2 at all or played in beta or release. The game has an awesome community with boatloads more content than WoW, there is no reason to dislike it unless you absolutely need to be max level in a month.

Yep, my detector went off :p I'm not going to bash Sony since I don't feel like arguing the point, I've been there & done that. I'll just say it isn't an option for me, as I'll never pay them, nor SOE, nor any other company affiliated with them another penny in my life. I'm pretty sure there isn't much in the way of PvP in EQ2 though, yes/no?

Originally posted by: Anubis

Agree, I take it a bit farther though. 39 for classes with movement speed buffs is great since your opponents can't mount up and chase you, and 49 for those without since you CAN mount up and chase classes with movement speed buffs. In both brackets most classes are very well developed, especially 40-49 when players have their 31 pointers. And in both brackets the TBC enchants become available, if that's your thing. I never felt like spending the money on them, and did well enough with just class knowledge and pvp gear.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
WoW is the best that's out there unfortunately. I too have heard that Warhammer is basically terrible at this stage. I'm hoping it will shape up before release.

If you're looking for a place to play, Dethecus horde is where we're at. Myself and some friends from an alliance black temple clearing guild rolled here. Most of us just hit 70 last week and look to start Kara soon in order to gear for ZA and possible 25 mans.