Recovering WOW addict needs MMO fix

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: swaytech
Hellgate is coming out soon :)

Halloween.

It is MMO ... and very Diabloesque

Hack 'n slash with good graphics and and interesting MQ and fun quests.

Check it out ... i played the Beta till Level20 for 30 hours [all SP] and it has me hooked

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/about

Diablo, Hellgate, and Guild Wars are not MMO's. They are CORPG's....Co-Op RPGS.

HellGate:London is MMO ... nothing co-op about it
:roll:

--check it out for yourself :p

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45282
Flagship Studios revealed this week that the game's multiplayer component is a subscription-based online service. Speaking to Shacknews at CES in Las Vegas, CEO Bill Roper noted that the game draws significantly from massively multiplayer games, with genre trappings such as guilds, continually developed content, a full social system, and raid-type gameplay.

Drawing similarities to ArenaNet's Guild Wars, Hellgate's online is heavily instanced. Group and solo PvE is the game's main focus; PvP will exist in a small scale form, but is not a major element of the initial launch. It will also feature a Hardcore mode similar to that found in Blizzard's Diablo II, a game on which many members of the Hellgate team worked. Hellgate's multiplayer will contain all of the missions and story from the single-player aspect of the game, as well as exclusive gameplay modes and content. Like the single-player game, it will be comprised of dynamically generated areas and items. Further content will be continually added over time by a dedicated Flagship team. ...
"I think that just as Diablo and Diablo II started this religious argument over whether they're RPGs or not, I think that Hellgate will spark that same debate over whether it's an MMO or not," commented Roper, who added that the game has been designed as an MMO from day one.

If I can't wander into a instance zone and run into people but instead I have to be invited into the zone in order to interact or be in the same area as them then it's not a MMO IMHO. Guild Wars is like Diablo except it has a the game lobby in the game via instanced towns. In GW just like D2 you have to be invited into a group in order to enter the same instance pve zone someone is in of which it only holds a very small amount of people. GW just like D2 is not a MMO because of how it is setup in this manner and even as stated by the developers it's not a MMO but a CoRPG.

The Bill Roper can hype it all he wants but if I can't randomly wander around in and out of zones someone else occupies without having to group with them as was done in GW and Diablo 2 then it's not a MMO. If the amount of non-grouped people allowed into these instance zones are limited to less then 50 then it's not a MMO IMHO. It needs to handle populations in the same manner as EQ2, Vangaurd, WoW, LOTRO, EVE Online etc...Part of being a MMO is having a world in which others can wander about freely without having to be grouped to enter the same instance zone as the other person and the number of random people/groups allowed into these zones. Even in EQ2 which is heavily instance I can very easily wander around and run into tons of groups, raids, people soloing etc... without issues.

Roper was right .. at least about the MMO-debate :p

:D

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: CKent
I'm in a similar situation, just kinda bored with WoW and increasingly unhappy with what the game's been since the expansion. Unfortunately I don't think there's really an MMORPG out there that integrates PvP with PvE very well. As I understand it, LotRO has little to no PvP and no incentive to do it. Warhammer looks promising but isn't out yet. Vanguard died the minute Sony bought it in May '05. It's kinda depressing that developers seem so out of touch.

Vangaurd died the moment Sigil and Brad McQuaid released it in a horrible un-finished alpha state. SOE just bought the remains and is now bringing back some life into that game and taking it past the beta state.

SOE got their claws on it in May 2005, long before it was released. From that day forward it was destined for failure. It was sad for me, I was really looking forward to it until then. With SOE involved though, I didn't even buy it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
I know WOW is Mr. Big Dick among the MMO's, but after hitting 70 with 2 chars, the demand on my time became overly tyrannical to advance further. So, I figure my next best option is to start from scratch with a new MMO. However, what I fear is that coming from the monolith that is WOW, I'll be disappointed by having a smaller community and less support/content.

So what's the next best thing to heroin?

I hate WoW and there's a plethora of MMO gamers who think WoW is full of crap.

It's not the only thing out there.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Tabula Rasa looks promising. Anyone have experience with the beta?

Plus it's new, which is good for a couple of reasons. Don't have to deal with an obsolete UI (hopefully), good graphics, and getting to experience the game with a level playing field.

Also, I feel more comfortable with fantasy settings in MMO's than sci-fi for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I think it's basically because in these settings technology seems like thinly veiled analogy to magic. I'm reminded of a quote:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Plus it's new, which is good for a couple of reasons. Don't have to deal with an obsolete UI (hopefully), good graphics, and getting to experience the game with a level playing field.

Also, I feel more comfortable with fantasy settings in MMO's than sci-fi for some reason. I'm not sure why, but I think it's basically because in these settings technology seems like thinly veiled analogy to magic. I'm reminded of a quote:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

promising if you love to grind.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I did join a guild last night in WoW.
There was a total of 3 people on (and that included me)...
Neither of those people talked about anything.
I can't even remember what the guild name is.

I should just give up with WoW. I've been bored with everything lately but this is just as boring too.

Nnyan

May 30, 2003
I love people already telling others that if they like WoW they won't like WAR. I gotta laugh at that. WAR isn't even finished yet and people already know enough to start making comparisons.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I'm in a similar situation, just kinda bored with WoW and increasingly unhappy with what the game's been since the expansion. Unfortunately I don't think there's really an MMORPG out there that integrates PvP with PvE very well. As I understand it, LotRO has little to no PvP and no incentive to do it. Warhammer looks promising but isn't out yet. Vanguard died the minute Sony bought it in May '05. It's kinda depressing that developers seem so out of touch.

Vangaurd died the moment Sigil and Brad McQuaid released it in a horrible un-finished alpha state. SOE just bought the remains and is now bringing back some life into that game and taking it past the beta state.

SOE got their claws on it in May 2005, long before it was released. From that day forward it was destined for failure. It was sad for me, I was really looking forward to it until then. With SOE involved though, I didn't even buy it.

Sigil signed with SOE as a publisher only after MS ditched them because Microsoft did not like the fact that all Sigil had after 4 years ( and 30 million dollars ) were basically tech demos. Sigil was still the only company who worked on development and only when they new they did not have a finished product near the end of open beta did they request that SOE help them out by having them send out some of dev's.

Sorry but the factual evidence points to the game being FUBAR'd the moment they were dropped by MS and Brad McQuaid lost interest in the project around phase two of the closed beta at which point he stopped visiting the Sigil offices completely. SOE did not have the legal/contractual authority to jump in and save Vangaurd from Brad's own bungling as they were only the publisher and came in late into the project.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

promising if you love to grind.

I wouldn't play MMO's if I didn't have a tolerance for it.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Nnyan
I love people already telling others that if they like WoW they won't like WAR. I gotta laugh at that. WAR isn't even finished yet and people already know enough to start making comparisons.

Yeah, because WAR is this giant secret, and *no one* knows anything about it. Nope, no press releases, developer chats, gameplay details - nothing...

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Finally found some basic info on Tabula Rasa: Text.

The bastard even used the same damn Arthur C. Clarke quote! I'll wait till the reviews come in, but damn it looks pretty.

Also, it seems to control like an FPS. I hope latency won't be too much of an issues. One of the reason I play MMO's is because I get godawful ping on mainland servers from Hawaii.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Originally posted by: Nnyan

Yeah, because WAR is this giant secret, and *no one* knows anything about it. Nope, no press releases, developer chats, gameplay details - nothing...

no one played they beta either

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

TR is incredibly boring and even more repetitive than WoW.

I should just give up with WoW. I've been bored with everything lately but this is just as boring too.

I started playing it again in tiny spurts a little bit ago. All I do now is PVP for fun rather than having a goal... I guess I'm also trying to learn how to PVP better on my 'lock.

Also, it seems to control like an FPS. I hope latency won't be too much of an issues. One of the reason I play MMO's is because I get godawful ping on mainland servers from Hawaii.

It took me around 50 shots to kill a guy in the beginning, do you really want to stand there left clicking over a normal mob to fire 50 times just moving left and right to dodge his fire? :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Finally found some basic info on Tabula Rasa: Text.

The bastard even used the same damn Arthur C. Clarke quote! I'll wait till the reviews come in, but damn it looks pretty.

the only thing fps about it is that you have to click the mouse button each time you want to shoot. bullets will curve to hit an enemy if you are running around them. attacks are still based on invisible dice rolls, except moving and being behind cover, etc modifies those dice rolls.

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: gizbug
LOTRO was terrible IMO. I wouldn't recommend. Very boring, seems more like a single player game.
I'm currently addicted to it, and absolutely love it. It's a much more mature version of WoW, which I did play for a while. Some of the fellowship/grouping instances are absolutely fantastic.

Also, the HGL beta was a bug-filled mess. The fanboys still think there's going to be a magical zero-day patch that fixes it all. It isn't going to happen. Wait for the reviews.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: erwos
I'm currently addicted to it, and absolutely love it. It's a much more mature version of WoW, which I did play for a while. Some of the fellowship/grouping instances are absolutely fantastic.

Also, the HGL beta was a bug-filled mess. The fanboys still think there's going to be a magical zero-day patch that fixes it all. It isn't going to happen. Wait for the reviews.

It may be a more mature version of WoW. It is also a more empty version of WoW. And I didn't see anywhere near the attention to detail that WoW's quests had in LOTRO. It was more like, kill 5 boars, kill 5 bears, kill 12 boars, kill 12 bears, kill 15 orange boars, kill 36 spiders. I felt WoW's zones and quest structure offered a more engaging experience. Stuff like the quest lines up through Scarlet Monastery, those that led to Shadowfang Keep, etc was much more interesting.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Skacer
Originally posted by: erwos

It may be a more mature version of WoW. It is also a more empty version of WoW. And I didn't see anywhere near the attention to detail that WoW's quests had in LOTRO. It was more like, kill 5 boars, kill 5 bears, kill 12 boars, kill 12 bears, kill 15 orange boars, kill 36 spiders. I felt WoW's zones and quest structure offered a more engaging experience. Stuff like the quest lines up through Scarlet Monastery, those that led to Shadowfang Keep, etc was much more interesting.

Did you do any of the epic quests? Any of the longer instances like Fornost? Sure, there are some of those kill X number of Y quests around, but the story is what makes LOTRO what it is. I have not done one of those boar killing type quests in I don't know how long, but those types of quests exist in almost every MMO out there, from what I have seen.

Granted, there are a lot of things people find lacking in this game (PvP, hardcore raiding) but the lore is one of the major things that separates this game from WoW and many others.

Maybe I'm just a big fan because I loved the books so much and this game really brings them to life for me.

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Did you do any of the epic quests? Any of the longer instances like Fornost? Sure, there are some of those kill X number of Y quests around, but the story is what makes LOTRO what it is. I have not done one of those boar killing type quests in I don't know how long, but those types of quests exist in almost every MMO out there, from what I have seen.

Granted, there are a lot of things people find lacking in this game (PvP, hardcore raiding) but the lore is one of the major things that separates this game from WoW and many others.

Maybe I'm just a big fan because I loved the books so much and this game really brings them to life for me.

KT

WoW is huge on lore. There are even books throughout the instances and stuff that you can read for even more lore.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

WoW is huge on lore. There are even books throughout the instances and stuff that you can read for even more lore.

I never got very far into it. I played it for about 2 days and it just felt like a kids game to me, so I quit.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I agree... I really enjoy the lore in WoW, but one thing Blizzard does is you can go through the entire game and care about lore or not give a damn... it really doesn't matter how you decide to play. I know my brother has two 70's at this point and knew nothing about the WoW lore until maybe 2 months ago... I'd always mention something and he'd have no idea what it was. I'd go on and on about how you should read the WoW lore and stuff to him like I was scolding a little kid :p.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

KT

I never got very far into it. I played it for about 2 days and it just felt like a kids game to me, so I quit.

KT

I felt the same way about LOTRO, except is was boring as hell.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

KT

I felt the same way about LOTRO, except is was boring as hell.

Different strokes...

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Is anyone playing Fury? I remember trying the beta a while back, but it was not my cup of tea (not a PvP guy).

Just remembered it and thought it might be something you would like.

Cheers,
KT