"Recount" wins 3 emmys...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize

Perhaps a new acronym is needed?

Bush & co will be gone in a few short months. Some seem to forget that. History is just that.

The harm he has done will outlive all of us, however. It's ironic that the same people who have spent years defending him and inventing terms like "BDS" are already looking at him through the rear view mirror when he will still be Commander in Chief for another four months.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Originally posted by: Harvey

Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Do you BDS sufferers feel better since the movie won?

Do you feel better knowing the disastrous results of the actual election gave us an administration that
  • Slept through credible warnings that Bin Laden was determined to attack the U.S.
  • Started a war in Iraq based entirely on LIES that, as of 9/23/08, has squandered the lives of 4,170 American troops and wounded, scarred and disabled tens of thousands more American troops.
    rose.gif
    :(
  • Committed acts of torture, war crimes and other gross violations of human rights.
  • Failed to provide even minimally competent relief to New Orleans and the southeastern U.S. following hurricane Katrina.
  • Presided over the collapse of the financial system they willingly deregulated.
You can piss and moan all you want about the movie. All the rest of us have to complain about are the horrors that actually happened on your Traitor In Chief's watch. :shocked:

Yer doin' a heck of a job, Bushie! :thumbsdown: :|

Pavlov's dog!

Try refuting the truth of what I said instead of trying to distract from it with your pathetic, petty name calling, and I'll show you the respect of replying to address what you say.

If you can't do that, you're always welcome to :lips: my (_!_)

Drool puppy drool!

As I said the last time you couldn't say jack shit about the truth...

Try refuting the truth of what I said instead of trying to distract from it with your pathetic, petty name calling, and I'll show you the respect of replying to address what you say.

Congratulations. You just won your very own Harvey "macro." :laugh:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

This thread is about BDS, not refuting points ;)

No, it's not. It's about the OP's hissy fit over a film about the 2000 election. He chose to label those who awarded three emmies to the film "BDS sufferers" and ask if those awards made those to whom he was referring feel better.

I just turned the question around and asked if the actual results of that election made him feel any better.

You haven't said anything about the film, and you STILL haven't said jack shit about the truth in my posts so once again, I award you your own special Harvey "macro"...

:laugh:

Feb 10, 2000

I agree. "BDS," in turn, is (at least in the year 2008) about Republicans' newfound inclination to distance themselves from the mess they've made over the past eight years (maybe it should now be an abbreviation for "Bush Denial Syndrome"). I'd like to believe that if I had shat the bed like that I would at least own up and change the sheets. (Actually I just motivated myself to change my sig accordingly.) CAD is a perfect example of the party's transformation from arrogantly supporting President Bush despite his transparently crappy performance, to pretending he was never born, much less elected twice.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
BDS-Bush Defense Syndrome: The knee jerk defense of G.W. Bush no matter how legitimate the criticism.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Bush Denial Syndrome? Agreed. Note that that the Republican faithful, a/k/a BDS'ers, make no attempt whatsoever to refute any of the information presented in Recount. Instead, they just plop out their usual empty, condescending sneers, their blind devotion to the party unencumbered by inconvenient data or questions that might challenge their bubble world. It is more clinically called cognitive dissonance, a debilitating psychological condition that afflicts too many Americans.

Recount was a good movie, presenting many well-documented examples of election irregularities benefiting Republicans generally, GWBush specifically. I think anyone who truly cares about American democracy would find it troubling. Many will not find it conclusive since it doesn't pretend to offer a balanced perspective. I would love to see a solid, factual, equally well documented rebuttal to the issues it raises.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
It's like flypaper!

By the way, I'm curious, now that the democrat congress is in power for quite some time now and can cure all our problems, what legislation did they introduce that the republicans blocked to reform elections?

Feb 10, 2000
It's like flypaper!

I will say it again - your own knee-jerkiness is no better than anyone else's, and IMO it's worse in that your snide posts in this thread don't even try to move the dialogue forward. I know you know this, and that you're capable of better, making your snottiness just, well, lame (kind of like the whole thesis behind this thread).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
It's like flypaper!

I will say it again - your own knee-jerkiness is no better than anyone else's, and IMO it's worse in that your snide posts in this thread don't even try to move the dialogue forward. I know you know this, and that you're capable of better, making your snottiness just, well, lame (kind of like the whole thesis behind this thread).
Well, the thread basically started off as a kind of funny/kind of true troll, the usual suspects jumped in and started with the "we're smart you're dumb" stuff, got derailed by a world class BDS'er, dogpiled by other BDS'ers telling me that I'm the other kind of BDS'er, what dialogue shall we engage in? ;) Should we start with Bush ignoring Bin Laden warnings in 2001 or the 2000 elections - gosh I can't decide what I want to chat about more!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
It's like flypaper! ...
Do you have anything to contribute regarding Recount? Can you refute any of the examples it presents or concerns it raises? Do you care about the integrity of American elections? Will you be equally glib if it's suddenly your side that's on the losing side of widespread election irregularities?

Feb 10, 2000

Well, the thread basically started off as a kind of funny/kind of true troll, the usual suspects jumped in and started with the "we're smart your dumb" stuff, got derailed by a world class BDS'er, dogpiled by other BDS'ers telling me that I'm the other kind of BDS'er, what dialogue shall we engage in? ;) Should we start with Bush ignoring Bin Laden warnings in 2001 or the 2000 elections - gosh I can't decide what I want to chat about more!

All I know for sure is I'm smart and you're dumb! :p

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
It's like flypaper! ...
Do you have anything to contribute regarding Recount? Can you refute any of the examples it presents or concerns it raises? Do you care about the integrity of American elections? Will you be equally glib if it's suddenly your side that's on the losing side of widespread election irregularities?
You might have missed my edit, but I'll answer your question once you answer mine :)

"By the way, I'm curious, now that the democrat congress is in power for quite some time now and can cure all our problems, what legislation did they introduce that the republicans blocked to reform elections?"

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

Well, the thread basically started off as a kind of funny/kind of true troll, the usual suspects jumped in and started with the "we're smart your dumb" stuff, got derailed by a world class BDS'er, dogpiled by other BDS'ers telling me that I'm the other kind of BDS'er, what dialogue shall we engage in? ;) Should we start with Bush ignoring Bin Laden warnings in 2001 or the 2000 elections - gosh I can't decide what I want to chat about more!

All I know for sure is I'm smart and you're dumb! :p
Damn - didn't get my your/you're edit in fast enough :laugh:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
It's like flypaper! ...
You might have missed my edit, but I'll answer your question once you answer mine :)

"By the way, I'm curious, now that the democrat congress is in power for quite some time now and can cure all our problems, what legislation did they introduce that the republicans blocked to reform elections?"
Sorry, you've apparently mistaken me for one of the partisans who thinks [Republicans | Democrats] can do no right and [Democrats | Republicans] can do no wrong. The recent Democratic-controlled Congress is only slightly better than the previous Republican-controlled Congress, in part because they don't have the super-majority necessary to override the Obstructionist in Chief, and in part because they're a bunch of special-interest-whoring professional D.C. politicians. There is no well-funded special interest group lobbying for better election integrity.

That said, I believe there has been progress in improving election integrity in many states, initiated at the state level. I'm not aware of anything material done by Congress.

I've now answered your question, misdirected as it was. What say you to mine?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
It's like flypaper! ...

Sorry, you've apparently mistaken me for one of the partisans who thinks [Republicans | Democrats] can do no right and [Democrats | Republicans] can do no wrong. The recent Democratic-controlled Congress is only slightly better than the previous Republican-controlled Congress, in part because they don't have the super-majority necessary to override the Obstructionist in Chief, and in part because they're a bunch of special-interest-whoring professional D.C. politicians. There is no well-funded special interest group lobbying for better election integrity.

That said, I believe there has been progress in improving election integrity in many states, initiated at the state level. I'm not aware of anything material done by Congress.

I've now answered your question, misdirected as it was. What say you to mine?
I really didn't want to go there, but since you answered...

Didn't see the movie, no plans to, nor any plans to review the allegations it brings forth. I believe many years ago when this was an "issue" I said I support consistency enforced across the country through federal legislation. I also believe I attribute this "issue" to primarily tinfoilers and malcontents (remember Black Box Voting supposedly going to bring is all to the public etc.?)

It's like a football game. If you're letting your opponent stay so close that the refs or a cheap shot end up determining the outcome, then you got outplayed.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I really didn't want to go there, but since you answered...

Didn't see the movie, no plans to, nor any plans to review the allegations it brings forth. I believe many years ago when this was an "issue" I said I support consistency enforced across the country through federal legislation. I also believe I attribute this "issue" to primarily tinfoilers and malcontents (remember Black Box Voting supposedly going to bring is all to the public etc.?)
I think there's a lot more out there than you realize. Black Box Voting has done quite a lot, for example, though it doesn't get much media coverage because they don't have the irrefutable proof necessary to get the MSM to stick their necks out. Recount does a good job of bringing much of it together and documenting it well. As I said earlier, you won't find it conclusive since it is one-sided, but it might actually put you in the same boat I'm in, concerned enough to want to know more and to want tighter controls to prevent potential abuses in the future, regardless of what did or did not happen in 2000 and 2004.

It's like a football game. If you're letting your opponent stay so close that the refs or a cheap shot end up determining the outcome, then you got outplayed.
I've actually said something similar with respect to the 2000 tally in Florida: that if it was truly that close, the ultimate winner essentially became a coin toss depending on the voters' mood on election day. Recount makes the case, however, that American elections are regularly close enough lately that even a lead of several points can be overcome through carefully targeted manipulation of a relatively small number of areas.

You might find the movie gives you something to think about it, even if you don't accept it as the last word. I don't.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

IMO your proudly willful ignorance disqualifies you from commenting, and makes you a pretty poor citizen. What's next, your telling us who killed JFK with no research?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi

instead of trying to distract from it with your pathetic, petty name calling

quote of the year material.

Ya, calling OJ a murderer or Bush a war criminal is the same sort of name-calling as false ad hominem attacks or generic names (you jerk).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Do you BDS sufferers feel better since the movie won?

Do you feel better knowing the disastrous results of the actual election gave us an administration that
  • Slept through credible warnings that Bin Laden was determined to attack the U.S.
  • Started a war in Iraq based entirely on LIES that, as of 9/23/08, has squandered the lives of 4,170 American troops and wounded, scarred and disabled tens of thousands more American troops.
    rose.gif
    :(
  • Committed acts of torture, war crimes and other gross violations of human rights.
  • Failed to provide even minimally competent relief to New Orleans and the southeastern U.S. following hurricane Katrina.
  • Presided over the collapse of the financial system they willingly deregulated.
You can piss and moan all you want about the movie. All the rest of us have to complain about are the horrors that actually happened on your Traitor In Chief's watch. :shocked:

Yer doin' a heck of a job, Bushie! :thumbsdown: :|

Forget putting lipstick on it, you''re trying to teach a pig to sing here, Harvey. But luckily others can see the post too.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Is anyone as scared for America as I am when you see the homo-sapiens in this thread STILL SUPPORTING Bush and the Neocons..

^^ Doesn't it frighten anyone??