Recommendations on Mandatory youth service HR1388 being voted on today

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Mandatory youth service!!HR1388 going to Congress!

HR 1388, will hit the House floor on Tuesday.It is called the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (The Give Act.) The House is scheduled to Rule this week. Sponsored by Democrat Representative Carolyn McCarthy (NY), Education and Labor Committee. The objective is to reauthorize and reform the national service laws.Democrat Rep. McCarthy is sponsoring the bill with 25 co-sponsors, ALL Democrats, including Charlie Rangel. Need I say more.

Quote:
From the Misc. section, #6104: (6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Seems to me that this is a direct violation of the Thirteenth Amendment;

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

That being said Obama should be ashamed of himself for trying to enslave American peoples which is basically what this is.

-------------------------------------
Title adjusted to reflect the facts, not fearmongering

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Maybe only white youth required to follow this?

But seriously, I can't believe this shit. That line you quoted, is this a joke? These dems are getting worse every day.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Just make it so without participation, no government services/aid shall be provided.

Similar to having to register for the draft.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
The land of the free, home of the brave!

Maybe they are working on the brave part, but the free part just went out the window.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Thump553
Quick rule of thumb: a website entitled "End Times Roundtable" is highly suspect. Here's link to a rational summary of this proposed bill-straight from the government:

What the end-of-earthers think is a slavery program-to be imposed by a Black President, no less

This bill is not about imposing slavery. It is the program Obama promised during his campaign to reward students for service to America by paying part of their college costs.

Then it should be voluntary not involuntary, the fact that it is ?mandatory? makes it a form of slavery and violates the constitution.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is an interesting look into the sorts of websites Socio reads, it also explains why he says so many insane things.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Socio

HR 1388, will hit the House floor on Tuesday.It is called the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (The Give Act.) The House is scheduled to Rule this week. Sponsored by Democrat Representative Carolyn McCarthy (NY), Education and Labor Committee. The objective is to reauthorize and reform the national service laws.Democrat Rep. McCarthy is sponsoring the bill with 25 co-sponsors, ALL Democrats, including Charlie Rangel. Need I say more.

Quote:
From the Misc. section, #6104: (6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

That being said Obama should be ashamed of himself for trying to enslave American peoples which is basically what this is.

At least the draft deals with legal adults.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Quick rule of thumb: a website entitled "End Times Roundtable" is highly suspect. Here's link to a rational summary of this proposed bill-straight from the government:

What the end-of-earthers think is a slavery program-to be imposed by a Black President, no less

This bill is not about imposing slavery. It is the program Obama promised during his campaign to reward students for service to America by paying part of their college costs.

Then it should be voluntary not involuntary, the fact that it is ?mandatory? makes it a form of slavery and violates the constitution.

No it doesn't. The draft is constitutional, and you have absolutely no idea what this 'mandatory service requirement' is in relation to. It could be 'mandatory' to get your high school diploma. It could be 'mandatory' to qualify for government benefits. I SINCERELY DOUBT (and I'm being as nice as possible here) that it's going to be some sort of 'mandatory' thing where you are subject to imprisonment or court sanction for not participating.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Quote:

You do realize that legal adults have far more rights under the constitution than minors do, right? I mean you could consider forcing kids to go to school involuntary servitude.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nice source website loon. Not even worth the time to investigate/debunk. Next...

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I guess this is in addition to the civilian national security force Obama spoke of?
Damn, I gotta find my brown shirt and get ready.

Link

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

No it doesn't. The draft is constitutional, and you have absolutely no idea what this 'mandatory service requirement' is in relation to. It could be 'mandatory' to get your high school diploma. It could be 'mandatory' to qualify for government benefits. I SINCERELY DOUBT (and I'm being as nice as possible here) that it's going to be some sort of 'mandatory' thing where you are subject to imprisonment or court sanction for not participating.

No you just becoime ostrsized and ridiculed for not following the path laid out by Dear Leader.
Can we call it the Obama Youth Act?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Hmmmm, search for the word "mandatory" not found. Socio! You F'ing moron!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

No you just becoime ostrsized and ridiculed for not following the path laid out by Dear Leader.

Huh? You realize that school districts all over the country already have such requirements for graduation, etc? Are you people really this paranoid and crazy in real life? If so, how do you function in society?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Hmmmm, search for the word "mandatory" not found. Socio! You F'ing moron!

(6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Quote:

You do realize that legal adults have far more rights under the constitution than minors do, right? I mean you could consider forcing kids to go to school involuntary servitude.

So, by your logic and thinking, since minors have less rights we can force them to do whatever we want them to do.

By stating that don't participate in this mandated "required" programs will receive less help from the government spits in the face of equal rights for all. Shit, lets start creating our new social economic class now and beat Barry to the punch and show him that us lazy Americans can snap to and actually do something to make his wife proud to be an American.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Huh? You realize that school districts all over the country already have such requirements for graduation, etc? Are you people really this paranoid and crazy in real life? If so, how do you function in society?

Never heard of a school district doing that. I would be against such a thing were my kids required to do it. They are in school to learn math, science, grammar, history, etc, etc, etc....not pick up trash along the highway or whatever. If there is a "club" within the school that wants to do volunteer service that is fine, key word being volunteer. It should be an opt in program, not an opt out.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Never heard of a school district doing that. I would be against such a thing were my kids required to do it. They are in school to learn math, science, grammar, history, etc, etc, etc....not pick up trash along the highway or whatever. If there is a "club" within the school that wants to do volunteer service that is fine, key word being volunteer. It should be an opt in program, not an opt out.

I for one welcome our new government overlords.