Recommend a WiFi Outdoor Security Camera System

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
6-8 Camera System $1,000 - $2,000 range
Upgrading from 4 camera coax system and a little lost as to what to buy..

IF you can recommend a home security page forum I'd be grateful also..

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
marked.

I've been eyeballing the arlo pro 2 system but they charge $10/month/camera

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
I joined a security camera forum and they all seem to suggest that you never want a WIFI camera but hardwired. I have no idea how true that is since I never bought the camera system I was going to.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I use Ring. I bought one flood light cam to test, and plan on adding 3 more this summer. So far it works great and I love it.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
What range do you need.

I am happy with Arlo Pro. Small, reliable, plenty of skin masking options if needed, battery lasts long time. Web/phone/PC interface very good.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
if you are getting a new camera now, you want at least 1080p cameras but 1440p (4MP camera) and 2160p (5 MP camera) systems are very affordable now....these offer the best picture quality so you make out faces from the images....Wifi probably won't be able to handle these though....positioning the cameras is also important...about 10' feet off the ground where the suspect has a higher chance of looking directly at the camera (as opposed capturing them from the side...

Dont be tempted by the cheap prices of a 720p or 960h camera system....you will be sorely disappointed.

I had the first generation of Arlo cameras and the lag was bad...since the cameras 'hibernate' to save battery life, by the time the camera activated, it completed missed the activity that triggered the motion detector...also, it detected motion better from side to side as opposed to someone walking directly to the camera so getting facial shots was more difficult. Not sure if the newest generation of Arlo cameras fixed these issues....

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I joined a security camera forum and they all seem to suggest that you never want a WIFI camera but hardwired. I have no idea how true that is since I never bought the camera system I was going to.

Seems to me that delivering electricity to a camera mounted outside or in far-flung nooks is potentially much more of a challenge than running an ethernet cable. So use PoE to kill two birds with one stone, and have much more reliable and faster connectivity.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You need to decide what the purpose of the cam actually is. Are you using it for verification of a threat, or are you trying to physically capture a face for prosecution after a crime? If it's the first, then high quality video, recording, etc aren't really important at all. If it's the second, then I'd honestly stick to coax and your typical security cam setup. For one, you'll still need to run power to all these cameras, so running another line (coax) isn't really any sort of issue, and you may even be able to power over the coax line, which essentially negates any benefits of wifi. If you're talking about numerous cameras, all wi-fi based, then you're talking about a huge amount of bandwidth unless they are activated-on (eg by noise or motion) which then requires you having a good motion sensor built into the camera, and everything I've seen shows hit or miss depending on the environment. The third thing is that almost all of the wi-fi based cameras know you're already tied to the internet, so they'll run everything through the cloud and force you to pay an expensive cloud storage fee for any sort of useful storage or feature set.

In my case, I was using cameras only for verification of a threat. I have a SmartThings based security solution and settled on cheap D-link cameras that are 720p with free live access through a cloud based application but no storage capabilities. If I get a notification of an intrusion - I check the cameras, otherwise I never do anything.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
No need for camera system just put one of these in your driveway

chalk-outline-body-620x467.jpg

Reactions: Pick2 and Thebobo

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I have 4 arlo cameras with the solar panels so i dont have to get the ladder out and screw with replacing the batteries every 3-4 weeks, that old fast. I have one camera up in a tree lol. I love the system.

Last edited:

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I have 4 arlo cameras with the solar panels so i dont have to get the ladder out and screw with replacing the batteries every 3-4 weeks, that old fast. I have one camera up in a tree lol. I love the system.

3-4 weeks?

Well, I have the same system. My battery last 3 months easily in high traffic outdoor areas, and much longer indoors.

3-4 weeks seems like malfunction to me.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I'm interested as well.

Obligatory humor.

I've disconnected my home alarm system and de-registered from the Neighborhood Watch.

I've got two Pakistani flags raised in the front yard, one at each corner, and the black flag of ISIS in the center.

The local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching the house 24/7. I've never felt safer and I am saving $49.95 a month.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm interested as well.

Obligatory humor.

I've disconnected my home alarm system and de-registered from the Neighborhood Watch.

I've got two Pakistani flags raised in the front yard, one at each corner, and the black flag of ISIS in the center.

The local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching the house 24/7. I've never felt safer and I am saving $49.95 a month.

I recall John Connor telling this joke....are you John Connor?

(yet another shameless attempt to MFL)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Security cameras should really be wired. You need to bring in UPS protected power to it anyway, so it only makes sense to go PoE and just have one cable. Too bad there's not a great selection of PoE cameras though. :/ "wireless" is basically a marketing buzzword now but it's not always the best solution especially for security.

Crime has been going up rapidly in my city so I really need to start looking into cameras myself. Probably do the whole perimeter of the house and maybe inside the garage and basement. Don't really want cameras inside the living areas, that feels kind of creepy even if it's controlled by me, but I could do some choke zones. Most thieves will wear a mask anyway so the idea is to just have some basics like the time of entry and time of exit. And basic description like coat colour etc. At least it's something to give to the cops as chances are the thief did a bunch of houses at the same time.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Security cameras should really be wired. You need to bring in UPS protected power to it anyway, so it only makes sense to go PoE and just have one cable. Too bad there's not a great selection of PoE cameras though. :/ "wireless" is basically a marketing buzzword now but it's not always the best solution especially for security.

Crime has been going up rapidly in my city so I really need to start looking into cameras myself. Probably do the whole perimeter of the house and maybe inside the garage and basement. Don't really want cameras inside the living areas, that feels kind of creepy even if it's controlled by me, but I could do some choke zones. Most thieves will wear a mask anyway so the idea is to just have some basics like the time of entry and time of exit. And basic description like coat colour etc. At least it's something to give to the cops as chances are the thief did a bunch of houses at the same time.

Gt a pet grizzly you got them up there no?

~

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Don't forget that in a pinch, an old Android phone running the IP Webcam app does a surprisingly good job as a nanny cam. Don't rely on it, though. It seems that it causes the phone to overheat and crash after a few hours.

LouieGarcia

Jun 27, 2018
Reactions: Thebobo

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Surveillance systems are the closest thing to mission critical applications. I'd NEVER use wifi for something like that. Last thing you want to is have a camera disconnect when it's really needed. Run the wires, shielded CAT6 23AWG rated for outdoor use to a decent POE switch and be done with it. An extended runtime UPS that has true sine wave output is also a requirement. And your NVR needs to be in a safe location and NEVER easily identified because, well, if you're spending $1k per camera (typical pro installed rate for 10-16 camera system) what good is it if the perps steal it along with all the recordings? If you have a high density application you may want to look into 12MP domes instead of 2-4MP ones so you have less hardware, etc.

And with outside installation remember safety, codes, etc. Shade tree installs running unshielded cat5 in attics and buried/running up posts/trees, etc. are an insurer's nightmare.