Recommend a WiFi Outdoor Security Camera System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Surveillance systems are the closest thing to mission critical applications.

I don't know how security cameras could be considered "mission critical" in the typical home environment when you consider the fact that the vast majority of homes have none at all.

It should almost go without saying that if you want the most reliability, you'd use wired network connections. POE makes it all the easier, since it also solves the problem of powering devices that are often located in odd, remote locations. It also lets you use a single UPS to keep them all running through a loss of power.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
3-4 weeks?

Well, I have the same system. My battery last 3 months easily in high traffic outdoor areas, and much longer indoors.

3-4 weeks seems like malfunction to me.

i have long record times and sensitivity turned up to 100%

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
We've really been a fan of the Nest ecosystem --- have their thermo's, yale locks, cameras and door bell. Subscribed to Nest Aware 5 day history ($12.50 a month for 4 cameras)

So far, it has been flawless-- I was worried about using wifi for the data, but we have not had any hiccups

Reactions: Thebobo

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know how security cameras could be considered "mission critical" in the typical home environment when you consider the fact that the vast majority of homes have none at all.

Well if one is needed for the reason of security in the first place, then yes it needs to be reliable. What's worse than no security at all is having a system that you depend on and having the feeling of being more secure because of it, only to be let down due to a failure. Anything can and will fail but the convenience of wifi is not something you'd want here.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
wired POE security cams all the way for me.
i've been installing LaView camera systems, HikVision rebranded, for 3 years now. great quality at a reasonable price. now they have 4K cameras too. insane details!