Recommend 1980s/early 90s sci-fi

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
They Live 1988.

Rowdy Roddy Piper.

84fae48c7419eeb2c99f6a2a15f457bf.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Lezunto

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Dark City is more of a noir/thriller/fantasy, yeah ok it's got aliens in the last 10 minutes but doesnt have a scifi vibe.
Same with Krull, it's only set in the future because the opening scroll tells us it is, but it's got horses, crossbows, leather, and swords, it's way closer to Conan than anything scifi.
Both great films.

Firefox was set in the future when it came out, *technically* scifi.
War Games, Short Circuit, DARYL, all set in the present. Stronk scifi vibes tho so im willing to give you a pass.

Did anyone say Total Recall yet?

I liked 2010 The Year We Make Contact, back when it was released, although it's no match for Kubrik's 2001.

oh oh oh and Outland, classic Sean Connery badassness .. in space !!!

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Dark City is more of a noir/thriller/fantasy, yeah ok it's got aliens in the last 10 minutes but doesnt have a scifi vibe.
Same with Krull, it's only set in the future because the opening scroll tells us it is, but it's got horses, crossbows, leather, and swords, it's way closer to Conan than anything scifi.
Both great films.

Firefox was set in the future when it came out, *technically* scifi.
War Games, Short Circuit, DARYL, all set in the present. Stronk scifi vibes tho so im willing to give you a pass.

Did anyone say Total Recall yet?

I liked 2010 The Year We Make Contact, back when it was released, although it's no match for Kubrik's 2001.

oh oh oh and Outland, classic Sean Connery badassness .. in space !!!
OMG I loved Dark City sooo much and I remember precisely zip about it. I've always had a complete shit memory but now that I'm an official "senior" [gag] it's so much more fun to blame it on my age. It's nice well worn colloquial groove I can slide right into.

Anyway, I don't remember why and I never even try to remember the names of actors although occasionally, some will stick, but I loved the guy whom I'm pretty sure was the star. I'll look it up later and maybe try to rewatch it. I have what approximates a religious objection to rewatching movies but I'm starting to mellow in my "old age" (it's just a number, it's just a number . . . . yup, keep that up spunky).

Firefox was the the Clint Eastwood movie about the soviet foxbat? I liked that but probably not something I'll rewatch - is that why you used the word stronk? To mock my slavic ancestry? (haha, kidding)

I don't remember Krull but I think I'll check that out too. Maybe even 2001 even though for some reason that movie is just seared into my consciousness.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
most people consider Krull to be garbage, it has its faults, but also some very strong elements. And Liam Neeson's first role.
ignore the awful costumes and just watch the story.

Dark City is excellent and has Jennyfer Connolly who sings with her own voice.
****only on the Directors Cut*****

Firefox is a good war film but you need to pay attention because the plot / dialogue is sparse and mostly visual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charmonium

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Big Trouble In Little China 1986

OK, the SciFi angle is marginal, but hey, it's got Kim Cattrall.
man, at this rate you could claim everything is scifi.
Out Of Africa? scifi.
Broadway Danny Rose? scifi.
Capitan Ron, Home Alone, Planes Trains Automobile, all scifi.

Actual scifi - The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They are aliens. They fly back to their home planet.
i wouldnt put it on a scifi list though.

Reactions: pmv and Meghan54

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Dark City wasn't just science fiction in the last few minutes, LOL, it had weird shit happening throughout like buildings moving around, going away, popping up and shit at night. Other weird shit happening as well. Clearly a sci-fi movie...

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Dark City wasn't just science fiction in the last few minutes, LOL, it had weird shit happening throughout like buildings moving around, going away, popping up and shit at night. Other weird shit happening as well. Clearly a sci-fi movie...
The way they showed it all the weird stuff could have had any cause, you didn't know if it was something spiritual, if he was in the afterlife, or what was going on.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Harry Potter has moving stairs therefore scifi.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Hmm, had to go to "my content" to find this. Sort of fun.

I'm not sure I agree with your recollection, but that's fine. At first I was like, this is sort of boring. So, jump, jump, repeat. I guess that took me to maybe the 1/4 or 1/3 mark. But at that point I was hooked and remembered why I liked this so much. Watched it to the end, with breaks of course. Limited attention span.

Started Krull, but you're right, it looks like I'm going to have a problem with this one.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I find it hard to believe that no one in this group mentioned The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the Eight Dimension. One of my all time favorite movies.

Reactions: nakedfrog

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I find it hard to believe that no one in this group mentioned The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai in the Eight Dimension. One of my all time favorite movies.
I need to watch that one again someday too, almost certain my partner's never seen it, and I haven't watched it since the 80s myself.