Recommend 1980s/early 90s sci-fi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
The Abyss is one of my all time favorite movies. It's where James Cameron began to develop the special effects technology used in T2.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well if there can be only one...it would be back to the future, although highlander is sci-fi as well I guess and it is very good.

Also my runner up recommendations are barbarella psychedelia, and Flash! aaa aaaaaaaa Gordon.
If there could be only one then it'd be Star Wars. Then T2.

Nov 17, 2019
We seem to have forgotten 'Runaway' with .....

261767_large.jpg

Before she went nuts, or crazy or whatever happened to her.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Nobody said Serenity yet? I'm taking ALL of you out of my will. (no great loss - hehe)

OK, I get that the movie is based on the Firefly series. But for those of you who've seen both and have a memory that rivals at least a fruit fly's (not me), can you appreciate Serenity w/o any knowledge of Firefly?

BTW, for any Joss Whedon fans, check out The Nevers. As you might expect, it's fairly bizarre and as is the case for a few of the characters, I think dances very close to the line. But if you feel similarly, try to get past that.

The final episode relates in no immediately discernable way to the previous episodes, but it eventually at least starts to make sense. It also features Claudia Black from Farscape. Just that episode though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Nobody said Serenity yet? I'm taking ALL of you out of my will. (no great loss - hehe)

OK, I get that the movie is based on the Firefly series. But for those of you who've seen both and have a memory that rivals at least a fruit fly's (not me), can you appreciate Serenity w/o any knowledge of Firefly?

BTW, for any Joss Whedon fans, check out The Nevers. As you might expect, it's fairly bizarre and as is the case for a few of the characters, I think dances very close to the line. But if you feel similarly, try to get past that.

The final episode relates in no immediately discernable way to the previous episodes, but it eventually at least starts to make sense. It also features Claudia Black from Farscape. Just that episode though.
I think 2005 is a bit late to fit into "early 90s".

I thought Vagrant Queen had some of the Firefly flavor too.

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I really enjoyed "Prince of Darkness".

It is usually panned by most critics, but it is one of my favorite Carpenter movies.

Not sure why. Silly premise, bad acting, but fun to watch. Lol

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I really enjoyed "Prince of Darkness".

It is usually panned by most critics, but it is one of my favorite Carpenter movies.

Not sure why. Silly premise, bad acting, but fun to watch. Lol
That's really pushing it for sci-fi...it's like saying that the evil dead is sci-fi because the deadites are summoned by the tape recorder (science) .

Now, event horizon, that's some sci-fi sh*t that is also extremely horror.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That's really pushing it for sci-fi...it's like saying that the evil dead is sci-fi because the deadites are summoned by the tape recorder (science) .

Now, event horizon, that's some sci-fi sh*t that is also extremely horror.
Yeah, I was about to say Event Horizon. Perfect blend of Sci-fi and horror.

Reactions: Charmonium