Recomend me some fronts and center

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
ive found people who are new to DIY struggle with subs, mostly on how to power them. so buying one is just easier for many. but yea 500$ gets you a lot of nice subs i was just recommending the pure budget ones

SVS makes one at the 500$ price point which is really nice

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
you could pick up 3-5 of these for not much money at all,

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/v8-volt-kit.html

pretty sensitive speakers that can take a TON of power, and get silly loud, great detail and coverage from them.

as for subs the Bic f12 is still a budget favorite. there are a lot of good inexpensive subs out there. i beleive there is a big listing of sub 300$ ones in the AVS Subwoofer subforum

I don't see wear you would mount the tweeter at.

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
I may go with the HSU combo, still have to consider the diy. I haven't soldered anything in lot of years.
The price of DIY looks great I just hope I would not sacrifice anything in sound if i go that way.
What center would i use for those DIY book shelf's you linked-ed?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
You don't have to solder if you get the pre-assembled crossovers (check the left sidebar). With DIY you don't lose sound quality for your dollar, you gain it: these are components for speakers that would absolutely bust your budget if you tried getting them premade.

For the coaxial V-8 Volt you'll notice you can get two vertical and one (or all three if you prefer) in the horizontal port layout for center use:
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/380/image/1260/
If you go with the waveguide Fusion 8 (because there aren't preassembled crossovers for the Volt at the moment), there's a separate MTM center for it.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Last edited:

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
You could even go old school and try a pair of these out for left and rights possibly.

Just an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...d=&seller=&sr=

http://www.epinions.com/content_4691894404?sb=1

*edit* never mind really I guess, any of em under 1300 do not seem to have the EQ with em.

*edit again* I did find one pair with one for $1000.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Direct-Re...A1UVQDB5NZUZS3

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Direct-Re...owViewpoints=1

If I Got those all the reviews said be sure to have the right Receiver.
But they never say what kind will work.
I would also be over my budget if i got those and a good sub

I will say all the reviews had nothing to say but how good they wear. Odd thing is i always hear to stay away from Bose because for the cost you can do better

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
DSC_4829.JPG

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
If I Got those all the reviews said be sure to have the right Receiver.
But they never say what kind will work.
I would also be over my budget if i got those and a good sub

I will say all the reviews had nothing to say but how good they wear. Odd thing is i always hear to stay away from Bose because for the cost you can do better

Like I said was an idea.

Did ya look at the 601s

?

With what I have all ready I'd love that set and a 7.1 AVR, but out of my budget atm I guess.

To be honest, I've never owned a Bose myself, but have been around a few in friends places in the past.

YMMV depending on what they are.

Just trying to help.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
ok a Couple changes My wife was in a accident and totaled the van ( she is ok). With this I know i will have to spend some cash for a new car.
I have the new Denon E-300 hooked up and I can say I see a big difference but they make my speakers sound cheap like they are.
Bottom line better to buy a good sub now or upgrade the front s and cent then the sub later?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Damn, glad to hear she's ok.

Sounds ya might have a few other things to worry about, yeah.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
ok a Couple changes My wife was in a accident and totaled the van ( she is ok). With this I know i will have to spend some cash for a new car.
I have the new Denon E-300 hooked up and I can say I see a big difference but they make my speakers sound cheap like they are.
Bottom line better to buy a good sub now or upgrade the front s and cent then the sub later?

Sub can wait.

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
so better to upgrade the fronts and center then? And thank you for the comment on my wife

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
80w max on the center? 120w on the fronts? This would be ok but OP wants to hear as he has hearing loss and would probably be listening at higher than normal volumes, which these speakers may start clipping at.

So a 2 Ghz i7 is as fast as a 2 Ghz Kabini processor? Since they're both 2 ghz.

This is NOT how wattage works. Wattage without considering sensitivity is the same thing as clockspeed without considering IPC.

You CAN NOT make this assumption unless you know about sensitivity and even then you still need to know about the individual components to get max listening level.

you could pick up 3-5 of these for not much money at all,

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/v8-volt-kit.html

pretty sensitive speakers that can take a TON of power, and get silly loud, great detail and coverage from them.

as for subs the Bic f12 is still a budget favorite. there are a lot of good inexpensive subs out there. i beleive there is a big listing of sub 300$ ones in the AVS Subwoofer subforum

I like this choice the best. When building a PC, you're saving maybe 10-25% of the cost by building yourself (Really don't know anymore as I don't go to places that sell pcs anymore).

When you build your own speaker it's a factor of 3. A speaker that costs 100 USD to build may perform the same as a speaker of 300 USD that you purchase. It can go much higher than that from 5-10 times depending on the build quality and how well components are picked/blend together. A LOT of speakers are sold primarily on advertising, build quality and build FINISH.

I may go with the HSU combo, still have to consider the diy. I haven't soldered anything in lot of years.
The price of DIY looks great I just hope I would not sacrifice anything in sound if i go that way.
What center would i use for those DIY book shelf's you linked-ed?

The point of DIY sites like that is people were EXTREMELY disatisfied with the industry and the compromises it makes to sell "aesthetic" speakers to people. Many people like towers, skinny speakers, horizontal small center channels, etc. DIY market wasn't getting the performance from speakers that they wanted, so they made their own no compromises designs (Or few compromises as possible).

I feel you're getting a lot of odd advice on here because there are real speaker/avs forum people who are enthusiasts that happen to also post here, and there are people who know a bit and post here but aren't real enthusiasts who will unknowingly give you misinformation.

There is so much information/things you can discuss it's hard to really fit it all into a thread, and the majority of it won't really be interesting stuff that you'll want to learn if you aren't an enthusiast. Just like 99% of PC buyers just want the best pc for the price and don't care about learning about it, 99% of HT buyers want the best speakers for the price and don't really care about learning the rest.

So ask yourself these questions:
-Can I Assemble/DIY?
If yes, I highly recommend as your money will go MUCH further.
-What finish do I want?
If you want a finish that you NEED to purchase as you are incapable of doing it or don't want to take the time (Piano black finish can take FOREVER to complete the correct way). I'd go commercial.
-How huge of an audiophile are you?
The more of an audiophile you are the more I suggest spending towards yoru limit, and towards going DIY. The more aesthetics/fitting in tight spaces/WAF (Wife acceptance factor) fit in the more I suggest purchasing that fits a specific space and that looks good to her.

If you decide not to assemble/diy then the next step is figuring out what speaker you want and for that, the best advice is go to a store and listen. Brands put their own spin on frequency response (boosting highs or boosting lows) that you need to decide what sound you like the best.

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
I am highly considering DIY.
The one and only thing holding back at this point it that the center channel will be huge from what I can tell.
I could maybe make a cabinet around that would fit around the speaker bu then the cost would go up some more. wood isn't as cheap as it use to be.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am highly considering DIY.
The one and only thing holding back at this point it that the center channel will be huge from what I can tell.
I could maybe make a cabinet around that would fit around the speaker bu then the cost would go up some more. wood isn't as cheap as it use to be.

MDF is not wood :p

grimed

Sep 28, 2013
MDF is not wood :p

I was talking about the cost of the wood for the speaker ( I was a awre that it is MDF).

I was saying that the center speaker will be so big i will have to make somthing out of wood to go around the center to mount the TV on.

I will also need a speaker cover of some sort for the wife factor

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Have you considered in-walls? with your lower budget and yet high volume needs, it might be perfect, also you can put them in a box to prevent sound leak, if that's a concern.