recently, when i brush my teeth...

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
there is this goopy film all around my mouth...its really weird. i cant just wash it out with water either, it sticks to my mouth. its driving me fucking insane, i hate brushing my teeth now. what the hell is this!?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
im allergic to the mouthwash, i get this damned blister in my mouth. no i dont give oral sex, and no i dont have herpies lol.

its driving me crazy.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
It's kind of nasty to ask this, but pics? I have no idea what you are talking about...

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Kazaam
im allergic to the mouthwash, i get this damned blister in my mouth. no i dont give oral sex, and no i dont have herpies lol.

its driving me crazy.

You're possibly allergic to the chemical component sodium lauryl sulfate, which is found in mouthwashes and many toothpastes, and is found to cause blisters and canker sores.

Try finding a toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS possibly.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
That happens everyday when I wake up, usually spend first 5 minutes awake hocking out mega lugies.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've heard of something similar when you have a throat/sinus infection. It might be your toothpaste too. If it's old or dried out, it can ferment and cause a film like that.

Also, if you're sensitive to mouthwash, it might be the alcohol in it. Try Crest Procare and see how that works It doesn't burn (it encapsulates bacteria in a film that you spit out- it's messy but it works well).

Furyline

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001
I had something similar, every morning after I brushed my teeth, I would then sit in work and had what you described in my mouth. I could pull it out and it was gooey, sort of like snot but less liquidy. Anyway I switched to a different brand of toothpaste and I haven't had it since.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Furyline
I had something similar, every morning after I brushed my teeth, I would then sit in work and had what you described in my mouth. I could pull it out and it was gooey, sort of like snot but less liquidy. Anyway I switched to a different brand of toothpaste and I haven't had it since.

Really?

I wonder if that's my problem but I doubt it. It's not really on my teeth alone though, I can spit it out and there's always more. No one has been able to diagnose it (it's not mono, tested twice negative). I've had to have my tonsils removed as they were badly enflammed, but I still have this gooey, stringy stuff just like it is described.:confused: What was the toothpaste you have been using, and which brand did you switch to?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
im trying to remember if i had it with my last toothpaste, but i dont think i did...i was gonna say it might be the toothpaste but for some reason i doubted it.

anyway, furyline its exactly like you described. ill try my friends toothpaste and see if its diff tonight.

thanks

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
there is this goopy film all around my mouth...its really weird. i cant just wash it out with water either, it sticks to my mouth. its driving me fucking insane, i hate brushing my teeth now. what the hell is this!?

Sounds to me like sloughing mucosa, and like some have said it could be a local reaction to the toothpaste you are using. Try avoiding toothpastes with special formulations for "tartar-control" or "tooth-whitening" in favor of good old, regular paste formulas which still work well. That may help.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i agree with MrLee, it is your avatar

change from the dog and that will stop
all dogs foam a little like that

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Also, if you're sensitive to mouthwash, it might be the alcohol in it. Try Crest Procare and see how that works It doesn't burn (it encapsulates bacteria in a film that you spit out- it's messy but it works well).

ProCare is a toothbrush line from Mentadent. :)

Crest Pro-Health burned my mouth as badly as Listerine, AND destroyed my sense of taste for hours afterward. It also does kill the bacteria, it just uses a different chemical than alcohol, by disrupting the cellular membrane. The chemical also remains in the mouth for a long time which explains the continued burn and lack of taste.

It did cause globs of blue goo when I spit it out though, I expect that was whatever it had burned off of the inside of my mouth.

The Pro-Health toothpaste burns my mouth too, but it goes away after a short period. It doesn't use the anti-bacterial chemical. I've been using that lately mainly for the anti-sensitivity, as an alternative to Sensodyne (which uses saltpeter).

I used to have a gooey film that mainly seemed to build up on my lips after brushing. I brush during my morning shower, and even washing my face afterward, I had to wipe the stuff off my lips after the shower. Sounds like it might have been related. I wasn't doing anything to specifically get rid of it but since I changed toothpastes it hasn't happened anymore. I forget what I was using at that time, I think AIM.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: astroidea

its driving me crazy.

You're possibly allergic to the chemical component sodium lauryl sulfate, which is found in mouthwashes and many toothpastes, and is found to cause blisters and canker sores.

Try finding a toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS possibly.

Damn dude... Google much? :laugh:

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Get a natural toothpaste, My dentist recommended me one but I don't have the name. Just ask your dentist for suggestions. My toothpaste contains no foaming agents or any of the other bullshit in the big brand name toothpastes. Plus it is better for your teeth and is easier to brush with.

My Dentist also recommended a healthy non-alcoholic mouth wash, but damned if I remember the names for any of this stuff. A lot of the products they offer can't be bought from regular stores oddly enough.

crisscross

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
happens to me too.. solution stop brushing :p seriously though i just wipe my teeth often with a cloth.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Skacer
Get a natural toothpaste, My dentist recommended me one but I don't have the name. Just ask your dentist for suggestions. My toothpaste contains no foaming agents or any of the other bullshit in the big brand name toothpastes. Plus it is better for your teeth and is easier to brush with.

My Dentist also recommended a healthy non-alcoholic mouth wash, but damned if I remember the names for any of this stuff. A lot of the products they offer can't be bought from regular stores oddly enough.

Toms of Maine

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Originally posted by: amjohns5
You might be sleeping with your mouth open.

That's when the spiders charge in. They just sit on the wall watching you with their 4 million eyes, waiting for your mouth to open then, BAM, they all charge in.