reccomend cutlery: my cheap knives are teh suck

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
how about for sharpening or keeping an edge? the sabatiers come with a steel, though a review or two said it wasnt very good. Would I be better getting a sharpening system that holds the blade at an angle while you sharpen?

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: xSauronx
how about for sharpening or keeping an edge? the sabatiers come with a steel, though a review or two said it wasnt very good. Would I be better getting a sharpening system that holds the blade at an angle while you sharpen?
Any decent blade should be able to hold an edge for at least 6 months as long as you use the steel religiously (every time you take out the knife, you should use the steel) When the steel stops working, a new edge needs to be grinded, which i would recommend leaving to a professional. with a good knife and proper maintanence, you should be sharpening about once a year. Most people that sharpen more frequently than that usually don't even know what a steel is.
rolleye.gif