Reccomend a watch?

Ender

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2001
I decided that I want to replace my old Timex POS with a nice elegant watch. It should be casual but able to be used in formal outtings. I was thinking of $300 US at most, but I may make exceptions. I really want a nice clean dial with a steel band - no leather or anything like that. I don't know what I can get for $300 US though. Any suggestions? Are Seiko Kinetics/Citizen Eco-Drives that cheap or no?
I was thinking a watch from Fossil would be nice but they're really cheap, and I don't know if they're durable.

Help me ATOT! :)

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
Swiss Army, Those things can take a beating. Mines been banged up pretty bad and it still works great.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Fossil comes with the best warranty i've ever seen...

i've had 2 fossils, and they are damn sturdy. (2 fossils because 1 is a pocketwatch, not because anything broke or anything)

i'm very rough on my watches. save your money, buy a nice fossil (i still get compliments on mine), and then buy some computer upgrades :p

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
here is about the watch i have... mine is a gray face, though... it appears they dont make the gray face anymore... sad, i like it more. oh well. the watch doesnt look gaudy, it has class.

capiche? :D

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Walleye

i've had 2 fossils, and they are damn sturdy. (2 fossils because 1 is a pocketwatch, not because anything broke or anything)

i'm very rough on my watches. save your money, buy a nice fossil (i still get compliments on mine), and then buy some computer upgrades :p

Second vote for fossil.. I could never keep a watch for longer than 6 mos at a time because I'd always break them, but I've had my fossil for going on 3 years now, and even though its a little scratched up it still gets compliments. If it ever breaks, its got a lifetime warranty :)

TourGuide

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Seiko, or Citizen can be had for this price.

I've been wearing a Seiko quartz for over about 8 years. I just bought my second, an automatic which is great. It winds itself.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
go to ashford.com

left side, click on BIG BRAND SALE.

you'll find some watches for some good deals there..

or just browse the site for some good deals.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
get one of those russian poljots.. theres one series made out of solid titanium from old ICBMs.. woot

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
$300 for a fvcking WATCH????

Just buy a cheapo Casio or something.

A. You can spend the rest of the money on something else

B. You won't get mugged for it

C. You won't freak out when you lose or break your watch

:D

GiLtY

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
Another vote for fossil :D
I bought this and I absolutely love it! It's water resistant + 11 year warranty (though I doubt I'll wear it for this long, going to buy another watch when I graduate from college :p).

--GiLtY

shekondar

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003

I only ever had one Fossil - worked fine, but the finish wore off completely after a year or so... IMHO most of their new ones look like sh!t.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
O&W M-4 Diver
Omega Deville
Omega Seamaster Professional
Omega Speeedmater Professional
Nomos Tangente
Zodiac Astrographic
Oris BC3
Fortis
Citizen Eco Drive
Seiko Diver

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002

Gets my vote.

ONLY watch that has lasted me over a year. And they have like a 10 year warranty.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I am hard on watches, my Ecko has lasted almost a year now. Might not sound like long, but for me that is :) it was right around 100 bucks, and looks very elegant. People have asked me if it's a Kenth Cole, or whoever that jacka$$ designer. They have some real basic styles, silver/gold band (one I got) I got it mostly because I didn't want to spend a bundle, and I didn't want a Fossil, cos everybody else seems to have one :)

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
I'm really sold on Seiko Quartz. I've currently got a Chronograph Titanium 7T62. It weighs almost nothing and looks only moderately industrial. I picked it up for under US$150 in Hong Kong.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I don't know too much about watches, but I definitely think my Seiko is a quality watch. And the watch shop lady was pretty convinced that Seiko was better than Citizen, so I'll offer that little bit. I don't know anything about Fossil, but a friend has one and I think it looks a little bit cheap.

Ender

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
I don't know too much about watches, but I definitely think my Seiko is a quality watch. And the watch shop lady was pretty convinced that Seiko was better than Citizen, so I'll offer that little bit. I don't know anything about Fossil, but a friend has one and I think it looks a little bit cheap.

What Seiko you have?

Apr 5, 2000
Most Eco-Drives start around $150-200 iirc. If I had the dough I'd definitely get one. They're awesome watches, you could probably get a Tag Heur or a DKNY watch for under $300 as well.

Fossil is more mainstream and for the "hip young crowd" so to speak - that's why they're cheaper (start at $65 with the Blue series and goes up from there) They are well crafted watches - I've had 4 and I loved all 4 of them (one was stolen, I sold one, currently own 2) - never had a problem with any of them.

If you don't mind spending the money I'd say get the Citizen if that image is important to you, (also depends on how old you are) otherwise the Fossil might work for ya