Reccomend a watch?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Ender
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
I don't know too much about watches, but I definitely think my Seiko is a quality watch. And the watch shop lady was pretty convinced that Seiko was better than Citizen, so I'll offer that little bit. I don't know anything about Fossil, but a friend has one and I think it looks a little bit cheap.

What Seiko you have?

A "cheap" one, I paid about $130, I think, but it was awhile ago. I don't know, I think it's just a standard battery powered quartz. It's also a bit heavier than the better Seikos, but I've had zero durability issues. I know it has a 5 year warranty.

Ender

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Rufio
go to ashford.com

left side, click on BIG BRAND SALE.

you'll find some watches for some good deals there..

or just browse the site for some good deals.

Wow, nice website. Do they ship to Canada though? =/

Ender

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2001
Oh and do Quartz movement watches make a faint 'tick tick' sound at all? That would drive me insane. If so, are there any watches that don't?

Mar 15, 2003
Stay the heck away from Seiko Kinetic watches.. I like the way that mine looks and loved the gimmick but found that the watch always ran out of "human fuel".. OK, so I lead a pretty inactive life, but I find "charging" the watch (shaking it in a circular motion for around 2 minutes!) every morning REALLY annoying.. Maybe the newer ones have battery back up or something.. really, really, really annoying if you ask me.. I'm currently using a $60 guess watch.. Not very classy but does the job.. $300 is a lot of money to spend for something sub-luxury.. Seiko, Citizen, Timex, etc. etc. all work equally well (yes, timex makes pretty reliable time pieces).. Just stick to your own tastes - go to a store and write down the model numbers of a few watches that you like and then search online for a better price.. Fossil is supposed to be pretty decent but both my GF and I have had the straps break on us (while I'm a portly fellow my gf is small and thin)..

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
I'm using a Casio Edifice.... $40, looks good, not too heavy. I'm happy.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Stay the heck away from Seiko Kinetic watches.. I like the way that mine looks and loved the gimmick but found that the watch always ran out of "human fuel".. OK, so I lead a pretty inactive life, but I find "charging" the watch (shaking it in a circular motion for around 2 minutes!) every morning REALLY annoying.. Maybe the newer ones have battery back up or something.. really, really, really annoying if you ask me.. I'm currently using a $60 guess watch.. Not very classy but does the job.. $300 is a lot of money to spend for something sub-luxury.. Seiko, Citizen, Timex, etc. etc. all work equally well (yes, timex makes pretty reliable time pieces).. Just stick to your own tastes - go to a store and write down the model numbers of a few watches that you like and then search online for a better price.. Fossil is supposed to be pretty decent but both my GF and I have had the straps break on us (while I'm a portly fellow my gf is small and thin)..

u have to get the seiko perpetual calendar ones..those will retain the time and date.

the first generation kinetic watches have those problems. i have one of those, but it is awesome. i get so many compliments on my watch :)

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Stay the heck away from Seiko Kinetic watches.. I like the way that mine looks and loved the gimmick but found that the watch always ran out of "human fuel".. OK, so I lead a pretty inactive life, but I find "charging" the watch (shaking it in a circular motion for around 2 minutes!) every morning REALLY annoying..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what works really good for keeping them from running down like that?

:D

pinoy

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2000
Citizen Eco-Drive. mine is not too fancy but looks ok on casual and formal attires. Paid a little bit more though (425 to be exact).