Reccomend a notebook based on the enclosed criteria

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
All manufacturing and the development teams are sold to lenonov after the sale. After this summer. Lenolvolv can/will do whatever they want. I imagine one of their goals will be to make a profit. Nice that they can trash the pads, turn a buck and bear the IBM badge the entire time they are doing it. Gosh it's amazing the path greed and the thought of a billion new customers will take you down...
If you think IBM is going to let them do whatever they want while the IBM name is on those products you are sadly mistaken. I don't have a link because I SPOKE with one of the head sales directors at IBM who specifically told me that their PC division people were going to work for Lenovo (Don't know how many, if they get a choice of staying w/IBM, bla bla) and that Lenovo would effectively be under IBM's watch for that 5 year period. After that 5 years they can do what they like, but they can't use IBM or Thinkpad names.
The "pad fanboi land" exists because Thinkpads are some of the best built models out there. I agree the T43 is a disappointment and believe me, those opinions will be reflected in my review of the T43 I have in my hands right now. In fact, IBM is rumored to be releasing a May refresh for the T43's that fix a lot of the shortcomings people have complained about; time will tell. As "bad" as the T43 or the Lenovo situation may or may not be, its still a lot better than Dell. :p At least their lower to midrange models, I'm sure your M70 is great. :)

I got this far than laughed:
> I SPOKE with one of the head sales directors at IBM

I'm sorry but to put it politely sales are not your most reliable source of information.

Fact: IBM will not have a controlling interest

IBM will own 18% of lenenov after the sale, and in the U.S. IBM will still handle sales and service. So of course Sales will tell you anything they can to keep the customers happy.

This deal is so much in lenonov's favor because lenonov==chinesgov. It gives IBM so many inroads into china as a source for sales and as a source for cheap labor. Just ask my friend the beamer who's all U.S. staff (that has nothing to do with the PC business) just got a whole bunch of new chinese employees.

Look at your history. China looks out for china and american greed is always getting us into trouble......

I've had my M70 for two weeks now and it is the best laptop I have owned since my Dell XPI CD back in the day.

It's wisper quiet even under load. The keyboard (for me!) is easily as good as the thinkpads and with the 6800 based video card it spanks my old Desktop ATI 9800, which is exactly what I was looking for in a DTR.

> "As "bad" as the T43 or the Lenovo situation may or may not be, its still a lot better than Dell. :p At least their lower to midrange models, "

But here's whats confusing. IBMs have a rep for quality yet in every survey of laptop reliability (PCWORLD, PCMAG, Consumer reports) Dell just about ties them in reliability.

If you compare similar classes/costs, business to busines Dell fares pretty well in comparison to IBM. My lattitude C600, C800, D800 have all been fantastic companions (but I must state the D800 had the worst keyboard ever. solid as a rock but bad bad keyboard). Even with access to IBM EPP discounts I still (after a ton of research, even borrowing a coworkers thinkpad) dumped IBM and went with dell.

If you need light, and can suffer the graphics the Thinkpads are a great alternative but if you can lug an extra pound or two there are better alternatives.