Reccomend a notebook based on the enclosed criteria

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
Leaning towards a ThinkPad unless there is a deal that is too good to pass up. Will be used mostly for schoolwork and will need to be lightweight and sturdy.

Edit: New question for you guys. Given the following criteria, what would you reccomend?

The notebook must have all of the following:

1) a DX9 GPU (non-integrated graphics)

2) screen around 14 inches (preferably widescreen)

3) 7200 RPM HD (preferably)

4) Must be configurable with a Pentium M 760 (2GHZ w/ 533 FSB)

5) can be easily taken to class/places around campus

6) decent battery life

7) money is not an issue

I know that is a lot of requirements, but I'm not expecting to fill them all, just as many as possible. I really like the HP DV1000 but the fact that you can't buy it with a GPU kills it for me. I was looking at the Dell M700 as well but I think it is a little TOO small and I read about some issues with getting used to the small keyboard.

DarkAmeba

Jun 13, 2004
It's possible, I wouldn't bet on in though. All of the companies have "back to school sales" except these sales usually aren't any different than the normal sales. I would buy when you need it. Don't get caught waiting for new stuff or sales or you will wait forever.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
See if your school has an Academic purchase program or something, they usually have OK deals.
Watch Thinkpad prices closely, T42's should be a hot value soon w/the T43's coming out
Lastly, try to find someone who works for IBM or who is a Shareholder; then use their purchase program ;) Those are the best prices

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
What are some models that I should look at if I'm looking for a balance between power/portability. I'm going to want to use it on trips and around the campus to watch movies/listen to music, but I do not want a massive DTR that is a pain to carry around. I'd prefer non-integrated graphics as well. What weight would you guys consider too heavy to be carrying around frequently?

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Being a college student, and carrying around my powerbook every day on campus, I'm fairly convinced size is more important than weight. My powerbook, even at 5.6lbs, weighs less than any ONE of my text books. It's about the same size (thickness wise) as any of my 1 inch 3 ring notebooks (even in it's slip case). After you throw it in your backpack, the difference of a pound or even two isn't much. I would say the only difference weight wise is going to be between a DTR, mid size notebook, and a small subnotebook. IE 9-10lbs vs 5 or 6 lbs vs 3-4lbs. I would recomend something like a T42 thinkpad or a 15" powerbook for the middle class, which is probably the best of all worlds for college. Of course there are always other very nice machines to consider. Once you start throwing things in your backpack, physical size (especially thickness) becomes more important than weight.

BTW... good luck in school... I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Look for the new Turion laptops to be commonplace about mid-summer time. Also, Intel price cuts take effect July 24th (?) and some chips are gonna drop in price significantly. So, yes, you will probably be able to get a decent laptop on a small budget :)

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
guess I'll wait as long as possible then. College doesn't start until early september!

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000

> astly, try to find someone who works for IBM or who is a Shareholder; then use their purchase program Those are the best prices

China gets the thinkpad this summer. Will Shareholder or IBM EPP discounts still apply?

eastvillager

Mar 27, 2003
Generally speaking, no.

You'll either a) spend the same money, getting a bit better gear, or b) get the gear you wanted earlier for a bit less, assuming there are model refreshes between now and then.

In either case, you trade whatever you could've been doing with that laptop during the waiting period for whatever interest the money made wherever you kept it.

Don't expect things to get significantly cheaper than they already are. As long as consumers are hung up on 'featurism', vendors will use those to keep the prices where they want to.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
China gets the thinkpad this summer. Will Shareholder or IBM EPP discounts still apply?
You're slightly misinformed. The IBM PC Division merger w/Lenovo will be official this summer, but IBM will be overseeing/managing the Thinkpad line for the next five years. As to the EPP discount, I would think that as long as IBM has people working to produce that line that the EPP will exist.

In regards to a notebook for college, I would stick with something below a 15" screen. I have a 15" T42 and am reviewing a 14" T43. The difference is night & day carrying it around campus, particularly when I go to pull it out in class. If this isn't going to be your primary PC, go with a 14" or smaller screen.
The 14" Thinkpads are awesome, very light & thin. Screen viewing angle is mediocre, but more than sufficient. Cost is an issue, but you should be able to find good deals on 14" T42's.
You mentioned the 533MHz FSB. I would personally recommend sticking with the 400MHz FSB, unless you get a good deal on the Sonoma platforms. Sonoma uses more power, generates more heat, and only gives 5-10% more performance; also costs more of course. Only reason I would go Sonoma is if you get a decent PCI-E video card. Notebook AGP video cards top out at a 9700, occasionally you might find a 9800. PCI-E's have good midrange X600/X700 cards, and of course the 6800 on the high end. Won't find graphics performance like that in AGP notebooks

Hope this helps

MogyBear

Oct 21, 2002
I just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the $700 off SB coupon. I am actually quite pleased with it. Got a laptop backpack and it doesn't feel too heavy at all! Seems to meet all your requirements, but might be a little bigger than what you're looking for. BTW, where are you going to college? I'm gonna be a frosh at Washington & Lee...

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
I'll be at the University of Michigan. I think the 6000 is a bit too big but it isn't out of the question. I'm looking for something that is about the size of the HP DV1000 without integrated graphics. Hell, if that was configurable with an X600, my problems would be solved. As far as the thinkpads, let me make sure I have this down. Last generation (T42) was Dothan with AGP and DDR and this new generation is Sonoma with PCI-Express and DDR2?

mickles

Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: mitchafi
As far as the thinkpads, let me make sure I have this down. Last generation (T42) was Dothan with AGP and DDR and this new generation is Sonoma with PCI-Express and DDR2?

Righto mate.

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
Originally posted by: mickles
Originally posted by: mitchafi
As far as the thinkpads, let me make sure I have this down. Last generation (T42) was Dothan with AGP and DDR and this new generation is Sonoma with PCI-Express and DDR2?

Righto mate.

So where does Banias fit into this scheme?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Banias: 130nm Pentium M 1MB L2 Cache
Dothan: 90nm Pentium M 2MB L2 Cache, 400MHz FSB (855 Chipset) or 533MHz FSB (915 Chipset)

Obviously Banias is older, uses more power, and is less efficient.

MogyBear

Oct 21, 2002
Ahhh OK U Michigan.. that's a big state university so portability might be key. W&L is a small liberal arts school with a small campus so I won't be doing ridiculous amounts of walking.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000

> but IBM will be overseeing/managing the Thinkpad line for the next five years.

LINK?

Last I heard IBM get 18% of the company and is donating a CEO. It will be Lenovov's game starting this summer.

The "5 years" is the amount of time the deal gives them to tread on IBM's thinkpad name.

They've already announced the first thing to go will be the "access IBM" button on the thinkpads.

Why do IBM fanboys love to wear blinders when it comes to the Chinese takeover??????

mickles

Jul 25, 2004
---Last I heard IBM get 18% of the company and is donating a CEO. It will be Lenovov's game starting this summer. ---

A link of your own?

It's Lenovo.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
Originally posted by: mickles
---Last I heard IBM get 18% of the company and is donating a CEO. It will be Lenovov's game starting this summer. ---

A link of your own?

It's Lenovo.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/customerqa.html

And that's the sugar coated version.

In a nutshell:

IBM will provide support
IBM will provide a name

All manufacturing and the development teams are sold to lenonov after the sale. After this summer. Lenolvolv can/will do whatever they want. I imagine one of their goals will be to make a profit. Nice that they can trash the pads, turn a buck and bear the IBM badge the entire time they are doing it. Gosh it's amazing the path greed and the thought of a billion new customers will take you down...

But that's being pessimistic. I'm sure this 3rd tier company that has yet to make a product anyone has heard of in the states will do just swell, the japanese development team will love working for the chinese government (primary shareholder in lenonov), the competitors to lenonov that are currently making the thinkpads, will jump for joy and everything will be happy in the pad fanboi land.

For myself, I was interested in the pads, but I bailed with all this uncertainty. (got a Dell precision M70, best laptop I've used, and I've used a lot). I've followed the thinkpads for a bit (got a friend who can give me his EPP discount) and this last quarter IBM just stopped carring. The T43's came out in feb, worst upgrade ever, and even with the mediocre specs most models are not even listed on the web sites and if you want a 15" T43P fugehtaboutit.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
All manufacturing and the development teams are sold to lenonov after the sale. After this summer. Lenolvolv can/will do whatever they want. I imagine one of their goals will be to make a profit. Nice that they can trash the pads, turn a buck and bear the IBM badge the entire time they are doing it. Gosh it's amazing the path greed and the thought of a billion new customers will take you down...
If you think IBM is going to let them do whatever they want while the IBM name is on those products you are sadly mistaken. I don't have a link because I SPOKE with one of the head sales directors at IBM who specifically told me that their PC division people were going to work for Lenovo (Don't know how many, if they get a choice of staying w/IBM, bla bla) and that Lenovo would effectively be under IBM's watch for that 5 year period. After that 5 years they can do what they like, but they can't use IBM or Thinkpad names.
The "pad fanboi land" exists because Thinkpads are some of the best built models out there. I agree the T43 is a disappointment and believe me, those opinions will be reflected in my review of the T43 I have in my hands right now. In fact, IBM is rumored to be releasing a May refresh for the T43's that fix a lot of the shortcomings people have complained about; time will tell. As "bad" as the T43 or the Lenovo situation may or may not be, its still a lot better than Dell. :p At least their lower to midrange models, I'm sure your M70 is great. :)

mitchafi

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2004
So, what are some other brands worth looking into besides IBM and Dell? Like I said, I'm looking for something similar to the HP DV1000 with a GPU.