Recall Republican Wisconsin Governor Walker status update thread

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ]
There was a lot of opposition to the recall itself, and I think that if this had been a "scheduled" election with a better Democratic candidate, it would have been a lot closer. If Walker had as much support as the blowhards in this thread are now claiming, there never would have been a recall in the first place.
Yes, that's how it seems to me as well. As I keep pointing out, and the Walker supporters ignore, at one point a full 58% of Wisconsin voters surveyed said they supported the recall. That means not only Democrats, but a fair number of Republicans favored recall. Obviously sentiments have changed since then, and there have been many saying they disapprove of Walker yet feel even more strongly that the recall was wrong. Ultimately, what mattered is how those voters felt on recall day, and they have spoken.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You can also say dead last in the entire country for job creation last year.

I'm sure all that budgetary confidence and regulation cutting is about to unleash a torrent of new jobs any day now though... annnnny day now.
http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...nality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=wisconsin+unemployment

Let's see, Wisconsin started 2010 at 8.4% unemployment and is now at 6.7% unemployment. Yup, obviously dead last in job creation. Coincidence! (Or is Wisconsin too still on the Bush economy?)

Oh, are you still trying to perpetuate the myth of in person voter fraud? Some people do love to cling to their fairy tales.

'Facts be damned, I know what I know.'
Not fraud, coincidence. It's all the rage.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
With all due respect, that's an ignorant comment. Advertising, and especially television advertising, is absolutely, unquestionably influential. There is a huge and highly-profitable industry dedicated to delivering its influence, with countless business clients who pay billions of dollars for those well-proven results. If you don't recognize you're being influenced, it only reinforces just how effective it is.

You may be able to argue that Walker wasted his huge financial advantage by buying bad ads, and you could be right. His results strongly suggest otherwise, but I didn't see any of his ads personally so I can't offer first-hand judgment. Even if that was true, all it would show is Walker's campaign was inept, not that television ads aren't effective. When done correctly, they most certainly are. That is a fact.

More effective in some situations than others. In a situation as politically charged as Wisconsin's recall, much less effective IMO. Exit polls showed a high turnout and that most of the voters had made up their minds well before the election. Essentially everyone was sorted into one camp or the other pretty quickly IMO.

Adds are also mostly effective in the sense that they get a candidate's name out and can rouse the base against an opponent, produce interest, etc. But from what I've been taught there are relatively few who's vote is directly swayed by a TV commercial. And I'm grateful for that.

I guess my main issue is I know the left is going to use financial inequality as a scapegoat instead of admitting that the vote was legitimate, and they're going to use that argument for the sole purpose that it cannot be properly refuted without massive, pointless studies. It's the rabid creationist logic all over again (you can't disprove it, so it must be true). That irks me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...nality:S&dl=en&hl=en&q=wisconsin+unemployment

Let's see, Wisconsin started 2010 at 8.4% unemployment and is now at 6.7% unemployment. Yup, obviously dead last in job creation. Coincidence! (Or is Wisconsin too still on the Bush economy?)

Well according to Politifact Wisconsin has created all of 5,900 jobs in the year since Walker has taken office, leaving him with approximately 244,100 left to create to meet his campaign pledge. According to the BLS, that was the slowest rate of creation in the US for 2011. Are you disputing this?

EDIT: Here's the Politifact article. http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/promises/walk-o-meter/promise/526/create-250000-new-jobs/ Although I'm not the biggest fan of Politifact, they are just referencing BLS statistics here.

Wisconsin's unemployment has been dropping because its labor force is shrinking, not because jobs have been created. This is not generally considered a good thing. Do you consider it a good thing?

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Funny, because I've spent the last 3.5 years hearing all the right-wingers say that Obama didn't really have a mandate because he "only" won by 7 points.

I guess cognitive dissonance is the cool part about being a reflexive hack.

Where did you hear it? You've only been on these forums a month........... or have you?

Nov 30, 2006
Where did you hear it? You've only been on these forums a month........... or have you?
Give him a break...I'm sure he has way more than enough "evidence" to rationalize the denigration of all right-wingers as cognitively impaired "reflexive hacks". Irony is a such a funny thing.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Give him a break...I'm sure he has way more than enough "evidence" to rationalize the denigration of all right-wingers as cognitively impaired "reflexive hacks". Irony is a such a funny thing.

I was just poking some fun, he's actually had some very good posts here in the forums.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't that pretty much all you do around here?

Yep.

I don't want to know what your sucking on besides the Gubermint teat.

No personal attacks or insults in P&N.

Administrator Idontcare

Last edited by a moderator:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I want my daughter to have a smaller class at school so I took care of it myself and sent her to a private school. Of course I still have to pay property taxes so that other people's little crotch dumplings can go to school...

Some people understand that envy is not the way to get ahead in life. No amount of taxation and redistribution will make you feel better about yourself.

How do you afford CS on food stamps?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Really? IMO you come across as extremely arrogant and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this perception.

Well waiting.......If you are going to make a sweeping douchebag statement like that you really should have the fucking balls to back it up.

Come on man pony up the examples...

Administrator Idontcare

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Congratulations to the Koch brothers & Citizens United, Elections are now clearly available to the highest bidder.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Congratulations to the Koch brothers & Citizens United, Elections are now clearly available to the highest bidder.

This is news to you? I bet you were in tears when Obama spent hundreds of millions in 2008. I also bet you will be complaining when he breaks his old record and tops 1 billion this cycle.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is news to you? I bet you were in tears when Obama spent hundreds of millions in 2008. I also bet you will be on here complaining when he breaks his old record and tops 1 billion this cycle.

I don't think President Obama will outspend the aftermath brought to us compliments of the Rightwing Supreme court activists.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
This is news to you? I bet you were in tears when Obama spent hundreds of millions in 2008. I also bet you will be on here complaining when he breaks his old record and tops 1 billion this cycle.

He'll need to, to combat the superpacs Romney will have at his disposal.

At least before, you knew who was providing the money. Now it could even be a foreign interest.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I don't think President Obama will outspend the aftermath brought to us compliments of the Rightwing Supreme court activists.

You also didnt think Walker would survive this recall election. What you think and what reality is are often far apart.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You also didnt think Walker would survive this recall election. What you think and what reality is are often far apart.

LOL I think I know who the arrogant asshole is on this forum...so I take it that you have never been wrong?

Administrator Idontcare

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

I did, Since Walker has been campaigning since Christmas and outspent the dems 8-1, it was a no-brainer. To see it that close was not a great mandate for Walker given how much advantage he had.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
LOL I think I know who the arrogant asshole is on this forum...so I take it that you have never been wrong?

I have been plenty wrong before. But I have the common sense to not make proclamations within a thread where my previous proclamations were proven very very very wrong.

I am really surprised by democrats complaining about money being spent by candidates to retain their seats given how much the leader of the democrat party spent to earn his seat in 2008. And how much he will spend this year to retain it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have been plenty wrong before. But I have the common sense to not make proclamations within a thread where my previous proclamations were proven very very very wrong.

I am really surprised by democrats complaining about money being spent by candidates to retain their seats given how much the leader of the democrat party spent to earn his seat in 2008. And how much he will spend this year to retain it.

Very wrong ? Maybe in your mind. I have the right to my opinion and you have a right to yours. I don't give a flying fuck if you agree with mine.

Have a nice day Repuglicant....

Administrator Idontcare