Question Really odd problem with 3900x system.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I usually am the master of these things, but here is a new one to me. So I have a 3900x, a X370 Taichi motherboard 4 x 8 gig ram, an AIO, and a 2060 video card, with an 850 watt PSU. For a year, all was fine, then the last few weeks, after about 2 days, it just shuts down. I unplug the PSU for a few hours, plug it back in, and then power up. All is fine for a few more days. I changed out the PSU to a brand new gold EVGA 850, no change, so thats not it. The temps are fine after boot, even@100% load.. But about 2-3 days later it will shut down again.

Motherboard getting overloaded with a 3900x ? Old VRM's that are a little weak ?

Reactions: Drazick

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
OK, I usually am the master of these things, but here is a new one to me. So I have a 3900x, a X370 Taichi motherboard 4 x 8 gig ram, an AIO, and a 2060 video card, with an 850 watt PSU. For a year, all was fine, then the last few weeks, after about 2 days, it just shuts down. I unplug the PSU for a few hours, plug it back in, and then power up. All is fine for a few more days. I changed out the PSU to a brand new gold EVGA 850, no change, so thats not it. The temps are fine after boot, even@100% load.. But about 2-3 days later it will shut down again.

Motherboard getting overloaded with a 3900x ? Old VRM's that are a little weak ?

I had this same problem with my 4790K that was also on an ASRock Taichi board. Replacing the power supply helped for a short while, but a few months later the same issue started popping up again. The second time, I just built a new system from scratch, this time with a 3900X and a MSI X570 Unify.

If I had to guess, I think the power regulation on the motherboard went bad over time, and the new power supply was providing cleaner power allowing the system to work for a little longer.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
You know, after thinking about this awhile, the week you've been having this problem with this system is the same amount of time since you added the 64 core monster, is it not? It's very possible that "just" removing the ~175 watt RTX 2060 got you back below the maximum that circuit can handle. Since you always use quality PSUs, and you swapped out one oversized PSU for another, the one thing we can be sure of is it cannot be the PSU. It can be the circuit supplying that PSU, though.* Also, with PSUs when two are fighting for the same current, the larger one will always win. The larger one also has more capacitor storage, meaning only the smaller 850 watt one would shut down. Maybe you'd be better off selling me that 2060.;)

*To the uninitiated, Mark has more computers in his house than the average office building. Large office building, that has multiple servers. He was already bumping up against the amount of AC electrical power he had available to use, before adding the 64 core monster. Since he only removed one of the older, less efficient 16 core Threadrippers, it is quite possible that with the more efficient, but 400% more cores 64 core/128 thread monster, he was a bit over the limit. It could of course also be a bad 2060, but that makes less sense, since you would expect a bad card to cause problems immediately, and not 2+ days later.

edit: I reread the OP, and you said it has been happening for a few weeks, meaning it was happening before you got the 64 core beast, so can't be from overloading the circuit.

Last edited:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Non blue screen crashes. The computer hangs/freezes and usually doesn't even restart itself. I found an article that said the new Windows update was a serious problem. It's basically an all new windows without a clean install and significant beta testing. I am sure they will figure it out eventually.
This system is using Linux, not Windows. He only uses Linux for folding, when possible. IOW, I believe he has Windows installed on most/some of them, but only for when he is rebuilding that computer's Linux install, so he can keep folding. Also, it would make sense in case it has become unstable in Linux, if it is stable in Windows, then the OS is the problem, not the hardware. Since Linux gives more points per day/does more work, it makes no sense to use Windows the majority of the time.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
This system is using Linux, not Windows. He only uses Linux for folding, when possible. IOW, I believe he has Windows installed on most/some of them, but only for when he is rebuilding that computer's Linux install, so he can keep folding. Also, it would make sense in case it has become unstable in Linux, if it is stable in Windows, then the OS is the problem, not the hardware. Since Linux gives more points per day/does more work, it makes no sense to use Windows the majority of the time.
I am aware of that he is using Linux. There are a lot of AMD Ryzen CPU's that are crashing without blue screens. Basically freezing. Threadripper is part of the Ryzen architecture.

reqq

Feb 26, 2020
Non blue screen crashes. The computer hangs/freezes and usually doesn't even restart itself. I found an article that said the new Windows update was a serious problem. It's basically an all new windows without a clean install and significant beta testing. I am sure they will figure it out eventually.

Interesting. Dont want to steel Mark thread.. but i do have a problem with crashes without bluescreens..cant force it with stress programs.. and can be stable for weeks so very annoying to troubleshoot. I run overclocked memory but i have run karhu memtest several times without error.. and yeh i dunno.. some pattern i found is that it happens very often after i open the computer up to change some hardware or dust the filters.. so i wonder if its some grounding issue/static electricity or something..

anyway maybe just windows acting up..

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Remember, without touching anything or powering off, it ran for a year, no issues, no reboots.
If that is the case, the only explanation is that at some point, power delivery hardware is likey failing. You swapped the PSU so that isn't likely to be the problem. Does the 3900x have onboard video/GPU? If so, try and use that. If not, then try swapping another vid card in there. If that does not remedy the shut down prob, then it's likely a VRM(s) or capacitor(s) on the mobo issue.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If that is the case, the only explanation is that at some point, power delivery hardware is likey failing. You swapped the PSU so that isn't likely to be the problem. Does the 3900x have onboard video/GPU? If so, try and use that. If not, then try swapping another vid card in there. If that does not remedy the shut down prob, then it's likely a VRM(s) or capacitor(s) on the mobo issue.
I agree. And my 470 Taichi just locked up this morning, so 2 Taichi motherboards are failing. My ASUS 470 (that I am typing on) is fine.

While we are on the subject, whats the best 570 motherboards for VRM's ? at a decent price, but the $600 ones. Like $200 ish

Reactions: Drazick

Rigg

May 6, 2020
I agree. And my 470 Taichi just locked up this morning, so 2 Taichi motherboards are failing. My ASUS 470 (that I am typing on) is fine.

While we are on the subject, whats the best 570 motherboards for VRM's ? at a decent price, but the $600 ones. Like $200 ish
MSI x570 tomahawk. It's VRM is as good as the $350+ boards.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
All, I have decided that I agree with the posters that say the VRM's are weak/giving out. That motherboard was designed for an 8 core, and its been running @100% load with 12 cores for quite a while. Once I can buy a decent motherboard at a decent price, I will be replacing them.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Not sure if Gigabyte makes one, but I've always liked the "Ultra-Durable" models from them.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Gigabyte's x570 lineup is now under the Aorus header. Most of their good VRM setups are locked behind the $350-and-up price point. That being said, their two top x570 boards have amazing overkill VRMs - arguably the best of x570. That's why I got an Aorus Master.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Gigabyte has the best X570 in town, but it seems to be oos currently.

1593428830003.png

2) Their B550 board design is equally as impressive.

1593429371021.png 1593431268276.png

Albeit, both are lacking PS/2 ports, *sigh*.

Last edited:

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
@Markfw How tight have you screwed the mobo to the case? If it's been running for a year non-stop then it's gone through a summer-winter-summer cycle already. The mobo's temperature delta would not be that big winter vs. summer, but the steel case's would, so the case would contract and expand more than the mobo, and if it's tightly screwed ... you can see what I'm hinting at, right? Might be worth taking it out of the case and assembling it back.

Regarding inexpensive X570 motherboards with good VRMs, take a look at the Asus Prime X570-P. I don't know how much it goes for in the US, but here in the EU it's one of the cheapest X570s and the VRMs are only beaten by really high end boards that cost a multiple of the X570-P's price.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Gigabyte's x570 lineup is now under the Aorus header. Most of their good VRM setups are locked behind the $350-and-up price point. That being said, their two top x570 boards have amazing overkill VRMs - arguably the best of x570. That's why I got an Aorus Master.

Depending on road maps and Ampere and next gen cpu performance best for folding and prices and if i decide to go sli on those or perhaps this 1080ti, i may be jumping on that exact motherboard.

Will be setting up a second build maybe with the best overall gaming cpu that is upcoming, then a single best gpu or near it assuming it has a reasonable price. Wanting to pick up the latest new titles from this year, and upcoming and wanting to pair it with the best gaming hardware. Haven't done this since 2012 honestly, usually i get the good enough stuff. Sorta torn between a second build, or going dual gpu on one and building it up.

The 4000 series may be so potent in both functions, i could have my cake and eat it too!

Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
For 2 day I started having random reboots.
Mobo Asus Crosshair hero VIII Wifi with a 3900x. Psu is only about a year old. Someone remind me what to look for to trouble shoot? Event Viewer?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
For 2 day I started having random reboots.
Mobo Asus Crosshair hero VIII Wifi with a 3900x. Psu is only about a year old. Someone remind me what to look for to trouble shoot? Event Viewer?
I usually start with the event viewer. Kernel power events "usually" mean a bad PSU. There are WHEA events as well, but I've only used that once (and not recently).

Markfw

May 16, 2002
BTW, its been running for almost 2 weeks now, no problem. The old PSU only had one 8 pin CPU power, the new has 2, that alone could have been it.

Reactions: Drazick and Ajay