Reagan to replace FDR on dime?? *POLL INCLUDED*

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJelly
Allies? We didnt have any allies till december 8th 1941. Until then we were a neutral power with no allies. America clung to isolationism after WWI. Yes we helped the british but we were not allies. There's a history lesson for you.

Yes close to a hundred million did die in WWII. But over 50 million were chinese, as far as history goes, germany never invaded china--it was the japanese. And japan attacked china in the beginning of 1933 so by your logic japan was being led by hitler who was just gaining power in germany
rolleye.gif

The only difference between hitler and saddam is that hitler was powerful. The mindset is the same though--fueled by hatred.

Killing 300,000 isnt a threat, well jeeze you solved all americas problems because only 3000 died on sept 11, and if 300,000 isnt a threat than 3,000 can't be a threat
rolleye.gif

Comeback with evidence and facts--not made up history--to support your arguments.
1. I didn't make up any history. If anything you are making it up and twisting my words, which I don't appreciate.

2. If we're going to talk about evidence and facts, you might want to provide some of Saddam's involvement in 9/11 because, at this point, there isn't any. Meaning you can't even blame him, with the "evidence and facts" that you so desperately require, for those 3,000 deaths.

3. Oh yeah, and Germany declared war on us, not the other way around, so your comparison to Iraq just got made that much more moot.

You wanna talk facts, fine, I'm game. You want spout bullshit and insults and try think you'll bully me off, STFU.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: coolVariable
Yeah! Finally get that communist lover of our good money!!!
And I hate how people credit him for reviving the ecomony during the great depression!
EVERY single one of his programs failed till a guy named Hitler came around and started a war onto which Roosevelt jumped too (and probably committed a war crime by allowing Pearl Harbor to happen, although there was information about the comign attack).
Stupid war criminal!

You are pretty pathetic.

You are ignorant.

I wouldn't call someone who knows his history pathetic ... but then again you are ignorant.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Yeah! Finally get that communist lover of our good money!!!
And I hate how people credit him for reviving the ecomony during the great depression!
EVERY single one of his programs failed till a guy named Hitler came around and started a war onto which Roosevelt jumped too (and probably committed a war crime by allowing Pearl Harbor to happen, although there was information about the comign attack).
Stupid war criminal!

You are pretty pathetic.

You are ignorant.

I wouldn't call someone who knows his history pathetic ... but then again you are ignorant.

Those arguments, which you sarcastically made, can each individually be made rather reasonably, excepting 'EVERY single one of his programs failed' and 'Stupid war criminal' -- Clearly it is pretty unlikely that he had no foreknowledge of Pearl Harbor. But one can make an argument that many of his social programs, [note: NOT WORKS PROJECTS] were short-term fixes that became political sacred cows. Roosevelt's biggest help to the economy was the perception that he was doing something, he gave us confidence. You grossly mischaracterized arguments that suggested that FDR may be a bit overrated, not that he was a Pro-Nazi bastard. As I said earlier, I heartily support leaving FDR on the Dime, he was a great president and I think Reagan should be the new face on the golden dollar because Sacajawea is a wasted of space. If not Reagan, then Patton or Ike (who used to be on the silver dollar, mind you - when he was still alive, IIRC).

IndieSnob

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2001
About the only thing I'd name in honor of Reagan would be a urinal cake. There hardly has ever lived such a disgusting president as he. From funding iraq, arms for iran-contra, funding bin ladin, the way he setup the hostage crisis in his favor to win the election from carter (still would have won, but disgusting), throwing mentally ill people out on the streets when he was governor of california, kicking 'communists' out of hollywood while president of the screen actors guild (even as far as naming jews as communists, with no proof) during the whole mcarthyismn witchunt bulls**t. How anyone could look up to such filth is beyond me. To even lump him in with FDR is a joke and a travesty. F em.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Reagan on the Dime is NOT going to happen. Mrs. Reagan doesn't wish it and most of the public isn't for it either.

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003
Reagan was certainly of FDR-caliber and should be remembered in some way like this, but making a new dime, I dunno. I kinda like the idea though just because I'm Republican. :cool:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Like FDR's politics or not (I'm hardly the biggest fan), the most important thing that he did for America is that he provided leadership in times of crisis. Excellent, powerful, decisive leadership during some of America's darkest times.
Most people forget politics. But they never forget leadership. And certainly not of that caliber.

This is why on the last page of the thread I called the president whose politics I like the most the worst president of the 20th century -- Calvin Coolidge. And most historians would agree. Hell, they even left him off the list. And why did that do that to the president who presided over one of the most properous economies in American history? Because while his politics were great, he never provided one single freakin' ounce of leadership. He did nothing (which also made it easy to blame the Great Depression on him as well).

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Like FDR's politics or not (I'm hardly the biggest fan), the most important thing that he did for America is that he provided leadership in times of crisis. Excellent, powerful, decisive leadership during some of America's darkest times.
Most people forget politics. But they never forget leadership. And certainly not of that caliber.

This is why on the last page of the thread I called the president whose politics I like the most the worst president of the 20th century -- Calvin Coolidge. And most historians would agree. Hell, they even left him off the list. And why did that do that to the president who presided over one of the most properous economies in American history? Because while his politics were great, he never provided one single freakin' ounce of leadership. He did nothing (which also made it easy to blame the Great Depression on him as well).

Agreed. Heartily.

Although, did they blame Coolidge for it at the time? I always assumed that they blamed Hoover.

SynthesisI

Banned
May 21, 2003

I agree. The Cold War was a big deal, but FDR did face a bigger challenge in keeping the U.S. squared away, especially during World War II. It probably would have taken us closer to 1950 to end WWII if we had anyone else of that era in office. He is one of FEW Democrats that I really respect, though I do not agree with all the actions he took. If we come out with a seventy-five cent piece, Reagan certainly deserves the next spot.

But it really doesn't matter... look who's got a kickin' new democracy-enforcing aircraft carrier named after him now? :)

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthesisI

I agree. The Cold War was a big deal, but FDR did face a bigger challenge in keeping the U.S. squared away, especially during World War II. It probably would have taken us closer to 1950 to end WWII if we had anyone else of that era in office. He is one of FEW Democrats that I really respect, though I do not agree with all the actions he took. If we come out with a seventy-five cent piece, Reagan certainly deserves the next spot.

But it really doesn't matter... look who's got a kickin' new democracy-enforcing aircraft carrier named after him now? :)

George HW Bush? :D

SSibalNom

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2003
FDR put is in the situation were in now, too many people expecting the benefits he promised to those people's parents..... now were supposed to pay for it @,.@.... shoulda let the depression roll through

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthesisI
No, the USS Ronald Reagan, just recently commissioned in the last few months. Did you not hear about it?

Most certainly. Just joking, because, IIRC they are building one for GHWBush.