RBG dead

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Would it have made you feel better if they held a hearing for Garland and declined him? Because that's virtually the same thing that has occurred plenty of times as well.

In fact, in the entire history of the US there have been 10 nominations for SC vacancies that occurred during the election year AND with the opposing party in political power. Of those 10 nominations, only 2 have ever been confirmed.

This is nothing new. I'm sorry you're misinformed and don't understand the basic premises of our judicial system.

Continue crying in the corner as you continue to lose SCOTUS' and elections and say "This game isn't fair! I want to play basketball instead of baseball!"

Lol, you figure out what basketball is yet?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
He didn't have to offer anything.

You shouldn't trust a Never-Trump Republican. You shouldn't trust a "Moderate" Republican. You shouldn't trust a "Compassionate Conservative" Republican. You shouldn't trust a "Libertarian" Republican. You shouldn't trust "Lincoln Project" Republicans.

Republicans are all liars, and are only in it for the money and power. They have no ethics, moral, principles or loyalty to anything, except money and power.

To believe otherwise is a personal lapse in judgement that was last made honestly 25+ years ago. To do so now is just willful negligence.

I don't know that I agree with that (though it mainly depends what mood I'm in).

For one thing, if you take that line, you could so easily extend it with 'never trust a liberal'. That's certainly the belief I was raised with - liberals are just a sub-type of conservative who wants to appear 'nice'. Still very much the enemy.

On balance it seems to me the truth is there are many different forms of self-interest, for different demographic groups, reflected in many slightly-different political stances, and you have to carefully pick-and-choose who you co-operate with, or trust, based on the specific issue, circumstances and era.

Insisting the enemy are an undifferentiated mass and refusing to co-operate with any of them is surely a huge part of what went wrong in Wiemar Germany?

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Jul 9, 2009
So "full fascist" is duly exercising a legal Constitutional power to nominate a new Justice?

An interesting example of etymology.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Full fascist is stealing the pick of a duly elected President for close to a year.

So... the Senate Majority leader instead?
But it is the Senate's legal duty to advise and consent. Mitch clearly did not consent. Only thing foul about it - no hearings, and no vote. Is that "full" fascism?

Reactions: pcgeek11

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So "full fascist" is duly exercising a legal Constitutional power to nominate a new Justice?

A lot of things have been legal but wrong. Like slavery. Like killing Jews. Like women not being able to vote. and so on and so forth.

You have zero integrity. I would wager a majority of Trump's cult would have made fantastic Nazis.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

Do you even know what that word means? Here is what Merriam-Webster says, you decide.

What other languages are you referring to? Is redneck one of them? Is garbled, mispronounced wanna be tinpot fascist dictator one of them? Are ramblings of a dementia riddled sitting President one of them? Are enabled liar one of them?

Definition of etymology
1 : the history of a linguistic form (such as a word) shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurrence in the language where it is found, by tracing its transmission from one language to another, by analyzing it into its component parts, by identifying its cognates in other languages, or by tracing it and its cognates to a common ancestral form in an ancestral language
2 : a branch of linguistics concerned with etymologies

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So... the Senate Majority leader instead?
But it is the Senate's legal duty to advise and consent. Mitch clearly did not consent. Only thing foul about it - no hearings, and no vote. Is that "full" fascism?
Exactly. As @imported_tajmahal so helpfully contrasted, unlike today where there is no legal reason why a new justice cannot be appointed by the President with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, Mconnells actions were very much out of the norm in 2016.

Per Article II the President with the advice and consent of the senate may approve a new justice. In 2016 the Senate neither consented nor dissented. McConnell could be said to have dissented but he is the senate majority leader not the senate, thereby shirking his duty as senate majority leader.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Full fascist is doing something the left doesn't like, just as full racist is doing something the left doesn't like. The words have lost all meaning.

So, let me get this straight. The person who uses words incorrectly feels words have lost all meaning. Okay.

If you do not consider police with military grade weapons, tanks and body armor, police using police brutality to put down protests about police brutality, a President who cleared peaceful protests so he can have a photo shoot with an upside down bible at church he does not attend, a President who constant claims voter fraud without proof, a President who just said he will not have a peaceful transitional power if he loses, a President who also just said if the “ballots” are thrown out that would be good because he would be re-elected, a group of Senators who have claimed fiscal responsibility, balanced budgets and law and order while not saying a word about a President who ran up the debt, spends money designated for other purposes as he wishes and have the most corrupt administration in history is not “full fascism” then maybe for you it’s “fool fascism.” Also what in my list I mentioned has anything to do with racism or something that a “reasonable” person, regardless of political ideology, would not like?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
And once again, this is nothing new. I outlined how this same case has happened 8 times in our history.

Of the Senate had a hearing and declined him would you still be butt hurt?
That is the whole point, there was no hearing, let alone vote. NOTHING. Because it was complete obstruction for 6 years.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Full fascist is doing something the left doesn't like, just as full racist is doing something the left doesn't like. The words have lost all meaning.

as a racist fascist, it's really lazy of you to defend yourself by just projecting your own worst characteristics on other people. Or simply, explain it away as "people just disagree with me!"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Notice how you avoided the real Constitutional topic and diverted to hyperbole.

Racist is always assuming the black person is guilty. Sound familiar, David Duke?

BTW - that was a mix of fact and hyperbole. Like it?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trump visits casket of RGB. Crowd boos and chants "vote him out". That put a smile on my face.

I said the same thing earlier today, then I heard it from like 6 other people before the end of the day. I think most of the country is on the same page, sans cult members of course. Pretty much every female I know wants the guy to fall into a woodchipper.

The previous smile inducer was me getting to see a well used, dirty pickup being driven by a guy who looked like he just built a barn. Gun rack, John Deere and Browning stickers, the whole nine. And on the side of his door, in those black on white adhesive letters you put on a mailbox, was the handmade message of "TRUMP SUCKS ASS."

Hell I'm still smiling over that one. I'm used to Trump getting laughed at and booed. Rural blue collar folks throwing that Koolaid back in dipshits face? Much less common.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That was it? What 3, 4 hours in state? I know, hose off the road, we got a SCOTUS to shove through.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
...we got a SCOTUS to shove through.

That they will.

However, given the scale and importance of mail in voting this year, with little over a month before the election, the SCOTUS will have many legal challenges to rule on very soon. Challenges that determine the POTUS and transfer of power in the United States. A very critical moment in history where we need all 9 Justices.