Razer's thrown down the gauntlet at XBox, PS3 and Wii

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
On the bus this morning and I see a portion of a full page Wall Street Journal ad regarding PC gaming, XBox, PS3 and Wii. A quick google search popped this up:

ss_preview_razer.jpg.jpg

For those that can't read the above.

Apparently August 26th is PC Gaming Is Not Dead Day or something like that and Razer will be announcing some"thing".

PCGamingisnotdead.com

Didn't realize the battle was on, lol.

Edit: Just signed up on the pcgamingisnotdead.com website and received this after email confirmation:

The email verification procedure was successful!

You are now one step closer to joining us against the tyranny of closed networks.
It is time to stand up against shoddy console ports and sub-par console graphics.
It is time to return to the original gaming platform.

26th August 2011. Mark this date down. It is coming.

LOL

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
It is time to return to the original gaming platform.

We are going back to the atari? Or maybe going back to arcade games at the corner store that you had to put a quarter in?

Personally, I would like to see onlines games open to all platforms. Why cant consoles and PCs play games like l4d, l4d2, counter-strike,,,, together?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
We are going back to the atari? Or maybe going back to arcade games at the corner store that you had to put a quarter in?

Personally, I would like to see onlines games open to all platforms. Why cant consoles and PCs play games like l4d, l4d2, counter-strike,,,, together?

the main reason for FPS games is that a KB/mouse shits all over a controller

for everything else there is no good reason

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Whatever it is, the only thing I can be sure of is that it will be lame as hell.

As long as they can make this happen:

It is time to stand up against shoddy console ports and sub-par console graphics.

I'm all for it.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Razer as a spokesperson for PC Gaming? I guess...

It will be some lame peripheral, nothing will change.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001

As anubis said, KB/Mouse shits all over controllers. Stick 5 kids who have been playing CS for a week on PC vs the best MLG team or whatever the current league is, and the PC players will win, and they won't just win, they will STOMP the console gamers.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

That is kinda ironic, because a lot of PC games these days are accused of being console ports.

PC gamers - oh look, another crappy console port to the pc.

Console players - oh look, another pc port to the console.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
That is kinda ironic, because a lot of PC games these days are accused of being console ports.

PC gamers - oh look, another crappy console port to the pc.

Console players - oh look, another pc port to the console.

I have never heard of a console player complaining about a PC port to the console. And most games are first made on console than ported.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It wasn't. It was a full page ad in The Wall Street Journal.

Of course, I could be taking what you say to literally.

yes, you could ;)

it reads like a chain letter: "join the movement!"

I suspect it will amount to the same type of effect...

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Unless they are actually developing and designing games on the PC, I don't see what they are going to do to really change anything...

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

KB/M shits over controller for everything, every day and twice on Sunday.

I'll take it every time over a controller. Unless I'm doing Wii bowling for obvious reasons. You just dont have the level of speed and control with a controller you do with a KB/M, never mind being able to use every key on the keyboard. A perfect, if dated, example is some of the very detailed flight sims. I have a helicopter game that uses 90% of the keyboard AND uses the CNtl/Alt/Shift keys to give up to 4 bound commands to a single key.

You dont get that with a controller. The consoles absolutely nail casual and family gaming. The PC is the rig of choice for detailed, in depth and hardcore gaming.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I'll take it every time over a controller. Unless I'm doing Wii bowling for obvious reasons. You just dont have the level of speed and control with a controller you do with a KB/M, never mind being able to use every key on the keyboard. A perfect, if dated, example is some of the very detailed flight sims. I have a helicopter game that uses 90% of the keyboard AND uses the CNtl/Alt/Shift keys to give up to 4 bound commands to a single key.

You dont get that with a controller. The consoles absolutely nail casual and family gaming. The PC is the rig of choice for detailed, in depth and hardcore gaming.

Yea, that farmville crowd is pretty hardcore. Seriously though, its going to the casual games even on PC. Of course there will always be hardcore games on PC because PC gamers create them. They don't turn into watered down for the masses games until they are bought up by larger companies.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I have never heard of a console player complaining about a PC port to the console. And most games are first made on console than ported.

then you haven't read too many forums. The fact that DA:2 was made the way it was BECAUSE the devs wanted to port it to a console had the whole DA community up in arms. And the fact that DS3 was designed with a console port in mind, ruined that game as well.

The main problem is you can do SO MUCH more with a PC game than with a console game. So the point at which it is "Port"able to a console, either the game gets dumbed down to fit (which doesn't impact PC gamers) or it gets DESIGNED to fit into a port, which does (and usually ruins the PC version too boot).

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
then you haven't read too many forums. The fact that DA:2 was made the way it was BECAUSE the devs wanted to port it to a console had the whole DA community up in arms. And the fact that DS3 was designed with a console port in mind, ruined that game as well.

The main problem is you can do SO MUCH more with a PC game than with a console game. So the point at which it is "Port"able to a console, either the game gets dumbed down to fit (which doesn't impact PC gamers) or it gets DESIGNED to fit into a port, which does (and usually ruins the PC version too boot).

Sure, but I didn't hear the console gamers complaining about it - that was the intent of my post as a response to TexasHiker's assumption. Of course, I don't wade too much into the Console forum, so maybe they were bitching :\

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Apparently, most believe it will be the release of the Razer Switchblade Gaming Laptop.

Not sure how that will have anything to do with horrible console ports.

and is ironic because that's basically a Razer produced console more in line with using an iPad to game than it has to do with PC gaming

first the terribad 7.1 headset announcement just a few days ago, and now if this announcement really is just hyping up the Switchblade then Razer will have truly dropped out of my favor completely

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Yea, that farmville crowd is pretty hardcore. Seriously though, its going to the casual games even on PC. Of course there will always be hardcore games on PC because PC gamers create them. They don't turn into watered down for the masses games until they are bought up by larger companies.

Oh I'm not saying theres no casual games on the PC and certainly theres hardcore gamers on consoles. But at the end of the day the most dedicated gamers do it with the KB/M.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

KB/mouse makes little to no difference in most if not all sports games, as well as platformers and act/adv games

the only games it makes a difference in are FPS games, MMOs - which dont really exist on consoles anyway and RTS games

and on the MMO front sony actually had KB/Mouse support for FF11 on the PS2

xXFaNtAsMaXx

Nov 26, 2004

lol, keep thinking that.

You seem to be the type that's right about everything and knows exactly what everyone wants. Guess what, buddy, you don't. We each have our own personal preferences, and if some of us like mice and keyboards better than controllers, so be it. You have no room to speak for everyone and say that a controller is a superior device for everyone to use in everything except FPS games because that simply isn't true.