Rave: Target Store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
Originally posted by: RossMAN
*sheds a tear*

I remember my first bike around the age of 7.

Right after the training wheels were taken off, I was FLYING, rammed right into our car. Lots and lots of blood :)

Since he's the youngest he alway got the " hand me down " bike from the older brother .. this is his first " new " bike ;)

The hand me down only happend twice .. my kids didn't go through bikes like clothes ...lol

So this is his " third bike " ... just new :D

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
*sheds a tear*

I remember my first bike around the age of 7.

Right after the training wheels were taken off, I was FLYING, rammed right into our car. Lots and lots of blood :)

Your parents spanked you that hard for running into the car with your bike?;)

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: chrisms
A Target bike.. your son will be made fun of

Only "Freds" make fun other people's bikes. I would of died for Mongoose when I was kid. But now I'm big kid and I want S-Works Specialized Stuntjumper mountain bike.

I bet his son and his friends would prefer a Mongoose than Specialized cause it looks cooler with all bling bling.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
<bitter>

YOU BOUGHT A BIKE AT A DEPARTMENT STORE AND YOU'RE PLEASED WITH YOURSELF?!?!?!

Buwahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!

Hope your son likes it.

No really... I hope your son likes it.

Typically, people that buy bikes at department stores immediately succumb to the "fact" that cycling sucks, bikes suck, "I'm never riding again" because the POS they bought is suck a rickety old creaky turb and the Shitmano TX50 grouppo never shift correctly, brakes squeal, left crank arm falls off.....

At least you got it for $63 bucks. You should go back and buy two or three more. I work for a living too. And I guaranfuckingtee you that I make less money than you (I didn't survive the .COM crash of 2002) but one thing I do know: One QUALITY bicycle is worth twn lumps of crap. It's an investment. Get something quality and it will last for years and years and will run problem free and will encourage the rider to ride again. ;)

newbiepcuser: You would've died for a Mongoose when you were a kid. That's fine, but guess what! Mongoose went out of business and got "bought up" by crap bicycle mogol "Pacific Cycles." The Mongoose, Schwinn and GT that YOU KNEW OF as a kid are not the same. They're now relabeled crapcycles.

</bitter>

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
I used to work at a target part-time, and I have to say that it was an awesome experience overall. They really have their sh!t together, and the managers are as friendly behind your backs as they are to your faces.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: MidasKnight
A Target bike.. your son will be made fun of

Well some of us parents work for a living and our kids were not born with silver spoons in their mouths...:roll:

I was born with a clump of dirt in my mouth but still worked my ass off to buy a brand new Haro baby

Where on the bike does it say what store he bought it at? :roll:

When I was a kid I was thrilled about the HUFFY my parents bought me. I rode it all over showing my friends. It weighed 40 pounds, but that's just more exercise for me.

I eventually saved enough money to buy a better bike, but I never complained about the Huffy and no one ever made fun of me.

Around here you got beat to a pulp if you were riding a Huffy

They weren't beating you up because the bike.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: Chraticn
I used to work at a target part-time, and I have to say that it was an awesome experience overall. They really have their sh!t together, and the managers are as friendly behind your backs as they are to your faces.

Ha.

Not all Targets are like that.

<-- ex Target employee

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
I got my Schwinn right before they got bought up by Pacific.

Then I bought a Schwinn after they were bought by Pacific.

On the second day the rear derailleur snapped in half while downshifting up a hill causing me to fall off the pedals right onto the nuts.

I got a replacement derailleur and rear cog, but guess what? The derailleur was for a different type of bike, and had too much space between the derailleur gear and cog, and gave sloppy shifts. Anyway, sent back, got the exact same model back. Fvck.

Replaced the rear derailleur with the replacement part, rebent the cog gears so at least they don't look bent and went and returned it.

Now, I ride my pre-Pacific Schwinn everywhere.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: iluvtruenos

On the second day the rear derailleur snapped in half while downshifting up a hill causing me to fall off the pedals right onto the nuts.

I got a replacement derailleur and rear cog, but guess what? The derailleur was for a different type of bike, and had too much space between the derailleur gear and cog, and gave sloppy shifts. Anyway, sent back, got the exact same model back. Fvck.

Replaced the rear derailleur with the replacement part, rebent the cog gears so at least they don't look bent and went and returned it.

I had a brand new Giant some years back (when I had money to blow on whims) and the front pedal broke while riding on a park trail. The company installed the wrong pedal on the arm, and it stripped the threads. Took them 4 weeks to get a replacement.

Sounds like you had a bad part. It happens to everyone.

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Ignore the idiots in this thread. Nice score for $63. The only department store bike rule is, triple check that everything is assembled tightly and correctly. But for the money, awesome deal, and for a kid any new bike is great.

PS: I replaced my $250 bike with a $450 one, which I ride 1/50th as much as the $250 one. I actually liked the original better, but it got stolen and they didn't make them anymore. (Ironically, it was an older Mongoose)

PPS: I never saw anybody got beat up for having an uncool bike brand... I saw people get beat up for having uncool skateboards. :)

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: iluvtruenos

I had a brand new Giant some years back (when I had money to blow on whims) and the front pedal broke while riding on a park trail. The company installed the wrong pedal on the arm, and it stripped the threads. Took them 4 weeks to get a replacement.

Sounds like you had a bad part. It happens to everyone.

No. Pedals are installled at the dealer. The dumb ass working at the dealership put the pedals on backwards.

Crappy cheap derailleurs DO snap in half. They're crap. That's what they do. It's a bit different.

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
Well, He's just riding around the local streets with friends and no off roading cept maybe some local walking trails. This bike will be just fine for scootin around the town. No big competitions or jumps or racing.

My main point on this thread was what above and beyond customer service I recieved from Target as well as the score $$ wise on a store bike.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
It's for a 14 year old kid, give him a break. It's probably the best bike in the world to him right now, I know my first bike was no matter how much it cost. :)

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3

Ha.

<-- ex Target employee

I can attest to that not being true also. Working for Target was pretty much hell on earth. :)

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3

Ha.

<-- ex Target employee

I can attest to that not being true also. Working for Target was pretty much hell on earth. :)

:thumbsup:

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Somebody mismarked it for a reason, so they can buy it cheap when his/her shift's over, and you stole the "deal."

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I :heart: my Trek Hybrid. I used to live 3 miles from my job and would pedal to work whenever it wasn't raining or winter. With my current job I haven't been able to pedal to work (upwards of 250 miles and 100lbs of crap...). Still take it on the bike paths during the summer though.

Anyways grats on getting a $150 bike for $63. :)

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Vortex22
I rode a Huffy and it was pimp.

I remember when I had my Huffy...And I had a couple Murrays too...(or however it's spelled)
Cheap bikes, though....I could never keep them for more than a couple years before something would go wrong.

Edit: On a side note....I'm quite satisfied with the Mongoose I have....(Rockadile AL or something along those lines)

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
I have an old Schwinn from like the 70s. Thing still hasn't broken on me (garage sale for 15 bucks).

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
I have Schwinn Sturdee from like 1983 that I got for $135 at a Schwinn shop. It's a good road bike but I have had way too much bad luck with it. I have been hit by two cars, flipped twice, the brake has popped out, and the rear rim is bent from one of the previously mentioned cars.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
its not like he'll be taking it offroad or on any serious riding. for urban riding, anything is fine as long as it works. but at the same time....REALLY dont take it offroad.