rate my angry customer support request - UPDATE 20221017: NED WINS!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Are we sure RISS is a real store. I can't even find that they exist on the interweb.

Just did a bit of poking around myself and Google has ZERO ....no website, no advertising, no reviews good or bad... in fact no listings under that name whatsoever. (which IME is never a good sign)

I assume OP has been to the physical store location personally? :oops:

You think the Redneck Idiots are gonna have a website? :p

Now that you mention it, yes.

NOT having one is a major RED-flag. ;)

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Just did a bit of poking around myself and Google has ZERO....no reviews good or bad... in fact no listings under that name whatsoever. (which IME is never a good sign)

I assume OP has been to the physical store location personally? :oops:

Now that you mention it, yes. ;)

NOT having one is a major red-flag.

I think he was joking about the name.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think he was joking about the name.

You never know these days... that name being real wouldn't even mildly surprise me although more for an online seller than B&M. (although with Ned, in retrospect I believe you may be correct!)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Stihl dealers can't sell online. That's a quick path to losing your authorization to sell Stihl. Anything sold online that isn't used can be considered grey/black market.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There are four authorized dealers in the OP’s city.
They can be found on Stilhl’s website.
Northern Tool. American Home Supply is another.

Ionman

Mar 10, 2009
I've had a similar issue with a Stihl ms661. I'd been using it for slabbing during covid and the clutch drum literally imploded.

Found out the bearing has a plastic housing which was molten which caused all the damage. It only had about 15 hours of use.
Stihl refused to warranty it saying it was used with an unauthorised accessory.(that's technically true though as they don't make an Alaskan mill).

Sent from my RMX1931 using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: BudAshes
Nov 17, 2019
Never offer more information than necessary. Just say you were cutting logs. You don't have to say lengthwise and mounted in a jig and continuous full throttle.

Reactions: lxskllr

Ionman

Mar 10, 2009
Never offer more information than necessary. Just say you were cutting logs. You don't have to say lengthwise and mounted in a jig and continuous full throttle.
True. I realised that's the mistake I made. Although in my case I'd bought the jig from the dealer as well.

Sent from my RMX1931 using Tapatalk

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh yeah slabbing is harder on a saw. I looked into an alaskan mill but I think I rather just go all in on a bandsaw mill. At this point probably do that next year. Got diagnosed with a foot condition which limits my mobility so did not even start doing any work on my off grid property yet. I'm hoping to get surgery or something, really don't want to be stuck with this forever.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I hear what you're saying, but why would either Stihl or RISS treat me like this? In other words, what do they have to gain? Stihl gets the benefit of the doubt right now because they are telling me that RISS won't return their calls. But RISS can't possibly think that I would give them more business after this episode.
The profit you provide to Master Stihl is a minor drop in the bucket. Thus, even sending parts to the shop eats into their margins right now. Some companies are just more concerned with the extra bucks. The shop also might be acting in accordance with Stihl's guidelines to them.

If someone shows signs that they are not "enforcers", they will attempt to make strike for all the coin.

That's basically what happened with me and that gutter supply company; they could have made plenty of bank on the supplies ordered. Potentially, some employee also wanted supplies for himself.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I did that with Geico. They were going find in me and my mom's favor but a senior investigator wanted to reconfirm. I gave them dashcam video and then they basically denied the claim to both sides because all parties were under GEICO. Thus, rather than two predatory insurance companies acting in their own interest to chase profit/minimize loss, it's GEICO alone deciding the best course to maximize profit, and that is to deny payment to everyone.

Someone opened up the door of the car and it hit my mom's car, which I was driving. They said the driver who opened up the door was wrong for opening up the door but that I should have reacted to avoid the collision.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
A little insight to the newer MS250

I own a MS270, probably 45 years old, and a MS250, probably 20+ years old. Both used to get heavy use, been through many chains and bars, but for the rest of it, plugs, air filter, gas mix and bar oil is it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
After you make a good faith effort (it looks like you are doing so), then ask for a chargeback from your credit card for defective merchandise.
Not saying its not worth a consideration but credit cards are getting more fickle about this and engaging more with the vendors to try and understand both sides before issuing you a refund. I suspect its because this recommendation is becoming more popular. YMMV based on card issuer and the type of day the rep you get is having

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The nice thing with that route is even if you don't end up with a refund sometimes they light a fire under the vendor's ass to make it right. I had to do this with one company as it took like 6 months to get my item and there was zero communication even when I asked for an update, so ended up going CC route. Suddenly, the item shows up in the mail and I cancelled the chargeback. The company seemed annoyed at me, but hey, at least I got some actual communication from them!

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
So I sent Stihl the message found in the 1st post way back on 7/6. Since then, it's been nothing but crickets - no communications from Stihl at all. So I called today and got nowhere new with them - i.e. the person who answered the phone read my case... and that was about it. Someone is supposed to either call or email me.

I'm way too nice on the phone. I think I need to ratchet up my anger stats.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
That is extremely disappointing. Seems like the only way to get a response these days is through social media.

Reactions: Captante

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
re: case# XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am a very unhappy Stihl customer. Here is my story:

In either 2007 or 2008, I bought a Stihl MS250 chainsaw. I live on a wooded property, and have constant need of a good chainsaw. Accordingly, I heavily used that first MS250 with no significant problems until Spring of 2022, at which point the saw finally failed after roughly 14 years of service. I was extremely happy with that saw and felt like it had delivered the quality that I expect from Stihl.

One might assume that after all those years of heavy use, if anyone knows how to properly use a Stihl MS250, it would be me.

When my first MS250 failed, I bought another MS250, this time from Redneck Idiots Selling Saws (RISS) of Johnson City, TN. I hoped that this second saw would be as reliable as the first one had been. I owned this saw for less than two months, and used it exactly twice. The second time I used it, a friend and I spent a day cutting up a large tree - and the saw worked great, as expected. However, at the end of the day I started the saw to make a few more cuts - and the saw would no longer cut. The engine started with no problems, but it barely moved the chain... and this was with the chain brake 100% disengaged.

I took the saw back to RISS so they could service it. They had the saw in their shop for several days. I had not heard any news from them, so I stopped in to see if the saw was fixed. They informed me that the saw's clutch was damaged, that I had caused the damage by running the saw with the chain brake engaged, that the saw was unrepairable, and that this damage was not covered under warranty.

In other words, I paid around $400 for a new chainsaw that I got to use exactly twice. I know this fact: I did not damage that saw by running it with the chain brake on. Again, I'm very familiar with the MS250 and how to use it properly. I don't know what caused the clutch to fail, but it was not due to anything that I did to the saw. I asked my friend (the guy who helped me cut up the tree) if there was any chance that we had run the saw with the chain brake engaged - just because even highly experienced people like the two of us can make mistakes. My friend confirmed that there was no possible way that what RISS was claiming could be true. A Google search on the phrase "will a chainsaw cut with the brake on" claims that a chainsaw will NOT cut with the brake engaged - which is something that my friend and I would have certainly noticed considering we spent an entire day cutting up a tree the last time the saw was used.

Since I did not damage the saw by running it with the brake engaged, I must conclude that there are other reasons that a chainsaw clutch might fail. One of those reasons must surely be "manufacturing defect," which must be considered as a potential reason since the saw failed on only its second use.

Once it became clear that RISS was unwilling to help me, my next step was to open a case with Stihl. My case was opened several weeks ago. About a week after I opened the case, a Stihl representative called me to let me know that he had left messages with RISS, but they had not returned his calls. About a week after that, I called Stihl - but didn't learn any new information regarding my case. Many days have passed since then, and I have heard from neither Stihl nor RISS.

The bottom line is this: I need my chainsaw. A tree fell on my property just last week, and I need to process it. I didn't buy this saw so that I could use it twice and then have it burn up on the second use. I bought the second MS250 because I believed that Stihl makes quality products and has good customer support. I am no longer so sure...
1658889028356.png

simpler solution to your tree problem?

also, try harbor freight next time?
lifetime replacement guarantee on all products, no matter the reason

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
BUMP FOR MAJOR UPDATE - BED WINS!!!!!

see details in the OP

Good news. I hope this experience has taught you to NOT run the saw with the brake engaged!
abe.thumb.png