Rarest game you own?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I don't really know if any of these games are rare but I'll list some that seem like they might be:

Original Zelda gold cartridge NES I got when I was 7
Ocarina of Time gold cartridge collector's
Majora's Mask gold cartridge collector's
System Shock 2
Thief: The Dark Project original box (before gold edition)

The overwhelming majority (maybe all) Zelda NES carts are gold...at least in USA region.

I still have the box imperfect condition for my Gold OoT.

All MM carts in USA region are gold. MM collector version has a lenticular label.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
They're a lot more common than you think. They can easily be had for $5 or less.

As for me, I don't have anything really rare. I have a lot of uncommon SNES games (even that's a stretch, they just sell for more money) like FF3, Super Mario RPG, etc.

I don't really buy or collect games based on rarity.

Yeah. If you go to a flea market, vendors have more Super Game Boys than they know what to do with.

I have Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. Might actually play through CT one day. I wish I had FF3.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Metroid Prime Trilogy in tin box, opened.

I have a box full of Atari games that might have a gem in it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah. If you go to a flea market, vendors have more Super Game Boys than they know what to do with.

I have Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. Might actually play through CT one day. I wish I had FF3.

I recall trading my FFII and FFIII, with boxes and the covers and all that stuff, along with my SNES for "credit" to buy a new PSX...I think I got ~$30 credit, total.

And, of course, that was all orchestrated by these somewhat notorious shysters:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/buy-rite-to-wrsong-no-more-chain-shuttered/1100-6123802/
:D

This was the week that FFVII was released, and I wasn't screwing around by not being able to play that, asap.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I recall trading my FFII and FFIII, with boxes and the covers and all that stuff, along with my SNES for "credit" to buy a new PSX...I think I got ~$30 credit, total.

And, of course, that was all orchestrated by these somewhat notorious shysters:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/buy-rite-to-wrsong-no-more-chain-shuttered/1100-6123802/
:D

This was the week that FFVII was released, and I wasn't screwing around by not being able to play that, asap.

That's something we have in common: We've both been screwed by Buy-Rite Games.

My brother posted about it in 2007, but this actually happened around 2003/2004 when Nintendo Puzzle Collection was released for GameCube. It was actually me that did the ordering / calling / emailing, not CZroe.

... I ordered from BuyRite games once, knowing full well that the imported Japanese GameCube game I was ordering was supposed to include a Gameboy Advance to Gamecube connection cable and I could even spot the Japanese writing stating its inclusion on the boxart from the product description. The game was Nintendo Puzzle Collection. This site was well known for ripping people off, and they got me too: They unboxed the game and sent me the game-only, hoping that I was unaware so that they could sell the cable separately. When i called to complain, they assured me that they would make it right. When I said that sending me a cable from inventory was not enough because I was a collector who wanted the full box, they said they "understood" and that I would get exactly what I wanted. Confused at how they could possibly be keeping the box and cable around, I remained suspicious. As soon as a confirmation email showed up for the cable, I called them back to say that this is not what I wanted and that I would send the entire thing back and expect a fully boxed replacement if they could not supply the ACTUAL missing box and cable. Once again, they assured me that they knew exactly what I wanted and that that is what they were sending me. They even said that they had it right beside them, without ever specifying WHAT they had... they always just responded to my specification with "Yes, that's it. That's what we have. That's what we are sending you."

Sure enough, I got a bubble envelope with a loose cable. I was never able to get them to make it right because I was then burglarized and I no longer had the game.

Years later, I ordered it again from Play-Asia and they gave me exactly what I was supposed to get. Screw BuyRite.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's something we have in common: We've both been screwed by Buy-Rite Games.

My brother posted about it in 2007, but this actually happened around 2003/2004 when Nintendo Pizzle Collection was released for GameCube. It was actually me that did the ordering / calling / emailing, not CZroe.

dang.

I never knew them as an online entity, though. They started as a large booth in the Flea Market Mall on old Capitol Boulevard in Raleigh, and then they opened a newish brick and mortar on the opposite side of town in a strip mall.

I always saw them as a bunch of douchenozzles--the fat pimply owner always wearing that stupid green poker visor. I wouldnt' say I was really screwed by them--except of course those lowball prices on FF games and shitty trade-in value, but it was never any worse than what Gamespot would ever offer.

First time we dealt with them, we had to have Street Fighter 2, ASAP. So, my brother saved up and bought the Super Famicon Japanese version from them for $80--it had the blood vomit, unlike the later-released US version! :awe:--with which we also had to pick up that cartridge adapter for another $30

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So, Nintendo World Championships is rare and Lord knows, I'd rather have THAT, but it's not one of only two known to exist like my Xexyz prototype. Do I win this ePeen waving contest? :cool:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Probably Super Metroid. Not really rare but it was my favorite game on the snes. The copy I own is the one I bought in '94.
The only other video game related item I have worth value is a Lunar 2:Eternal Blue hard cover strategy guide published by Working Design.