RANT: OMG!! Japan rigging Olympics?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

<< ah.. you must be people who actually care about the Olympcs. >>

Yeah, cause football is SOOOOOO much more interesting.

fjorner

Oct 4, 2000

<<

<< ah.. you must be people who actually care about the Olympcs. >>

Yeah, cause football is SOOOOOO much more interesting.
>>

Nothing saying about football, but you do know that the Olympics are less legitimate than high school football in Texas? less legitimate than the past few seasons of MLB?

To say that one country is 'rigging' the Olympics is kinda naive, seeing that ALL countries CHEAT. Nobody wants to admit it or cry foul for fear of having fingers pointed at themselves. It's a joke. And no matter how many times NBC wants to tell me the thrilling, heart-warming story of the backup bobsledder from Lithuania, I still won't give a flying frak.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
I think each judge has a different category ie Aplitude, Style, etc...

Perhaps the US skaters are not performing well in this particular category? I'm not worried becuase I know how well the US did in this event. :D

I think the worst example of a rigged Olympics was during the Seoul games and Roy Jones Jr. received a silver medal when he clearly dominated the godl medal fight versus a Korean fighter. It was discovered later that the Korean govenment wined and dined the judges previous to the fight. The Korean fighter was shocked when he won, you could see it on his face. They never awarded Roy Jones Jr. the gold even after they discovered the fraud.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Funny thing is.. Danny Kass was nominated worls best pipe rider... On the olympic tryouts he pulled a 1080 crippler in the pipe..

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001

<< And no matter how many times NBC wants to tell me the thrilling, heart-warming story of the backup bobsledder from Lithuania, I still won't give a flying frak. >>

even if it was your sister that you earlier donated your kidney too?

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Freaking paranoids.
rolleye.gif

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001

<< Funny thing is.. Danny Kass was nominated worls best pipe rider... On the olympic tryouts he pulled a 1080 crippler in the pipe.. >>

There was a newspaper article about how out of the top 10 halfpipers in the world, some Scandinavian guy is reputed to be the best. But in protest of commercialization of the sport at the Olympics, he didn't want to compete in the games. I"ll try to find a link to the story...

Maybe Danny Kass is the best US pipe rider, or at least NBC says. :p

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

<< 777php is correct. each judge rates something else >>

Well it can't be air because Kass and Powers got 12 ft off the ground, the routine itself was decent by itself. I could understand a 7.0 rating there, but a 4.5 rating? There was no way they could give Kass that 4.5 anywhere on his first run.
-- mrcodedude

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001
Everyone knows, or should know, they drop the lowest and highest scores from almost all scoring in the Olympics (especially events that have multiple judges). Heck, the Japanese could be helping in dropping such a low score.

vash

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
dude... i lowball and highball all the time during financial allocations. its fun, and it helps them.

Arschloch

Golden Member
Oct 29, 1999
If you want to talk about rigging the Olympics...

Did anyone hear about the American men's short track speed skating team? In the US Championship Finals, it's alleged that two of the four skaters in the final race rigged the race so that a friend of their could win and get into the Olympics (the two guys who allegedly planned this finished 2nd and 3rd in this race, but they were going to the Olympics regardless of how they finished in this race). Furthermore, the guy who finished 3rd in the race, Apollo Ohno (who has graced the cover of several magazines the past couple of weeks), was by far the best American short tracker, and the only time he raced hard during this entire race was when the guy behind him in 4th place tried to pass him. It went before an arbitrator, and the arbitrator didn't think there was any fixing involved.

Anyway, if you want to talk about rigging the Olympics, complain about this, not about some Japanese judge.

dexter333

Oct 9, 2000

<< god damn.. figure skating is suck >>

Yes is is. But at least you (probably) don't have to work/deal with them on a regular basis. I have to work a bunch of wannabees 4 days a week. Only one of the 10 I work with is cool. The rest are egotistical rich morons.

fjorner

Oct 4, 2000

<<

<< And no matter how many times NBC wants to tell me the thrilling, heart-warming story of the backup bobsledder from Lithuania, I still won't give a flying frak. >>

even if it was your sister that you earlier donated your kidney too?
>>

even if it was english your speaking was then typed and then?

wtf does that have to do with anything?

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I noticed it to too. He have the japanese snow boarder 10 for air while he gave less for everyone else. That US guy who won got the highest air in the competetion and he got a lower score then the Japanese dude.

Anyway, its good to see that you guys got the medals at the end anyway. We, on the other hand, got robbed (I will never stop talking about this).

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I feel so sorry for Canada. Stupid fscking judges. Those two figure skaters from Canada were easily the best. The crowd gave a standing oviation and started to chant 6.0.. Plus, the act was flawless. Still the Russians win it? Fscking rigged.
-- mrcodedude

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<<

<< Shouldn't it say Japanese Judge rigging Olympics instead of JAPAN rigging Olympics? >>

Not if it is a conspiracy of epic proportions.
Which it is.
>>

Conspiracies are awesome...:Q

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
ok.... you Americans should stop whining. In no way, the Americans deserved all the 3 top-spots. Hakkie Sorsa was awesome, and also the Italian guy, Giacomo ....... I think you guys have a biiiig advantage, cuz it's in the USA.

monto

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999

<< I feel so sorry for Canada. Stupid fscking judges. Those two figure skaters from Canada were easily the best. The crowd gave a standing oviation and started to chant 6.0.. Plus, the act was flawless. Still the Russians win it? Fscking rigged. >>

well the NBC commentators were pretty biased during the whole last 15mins...but it was up to a tiebreak and that's all you can ask for when it's that close

what i found amusing was during every pair's program, emphasis and camera shots would be aimed at the woman...i don't even know what Pelletier looks like even tho i watched both programs and a bunch of NBC promos :p what can i say, sex sells