RANT: AT Networking Forum

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
So many times I come here seeking an answer pertaining to my job (i.e. cisco networking) all I see if "help me! my home "router" is broken" or "What is the best wireless N router"

People, read a damn manual or review. Leave the "networking" section to the actual network engineers and techs.

Damn it Jim, are there not any Network Professionals here anymore!?

/rant :colbert:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I think its just fine to have both present in the same place and have them coexist happily.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I gave up enterprise level networking stuff here a long time ago. Just not enough experts viewing this forum.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
So many times I come here seeking an answer pertaining to my job (i.e. cisco networking) all I see if "help me! my home "router" is broken" or "What is the best wireless N router"

People, read a damn manual or review. Leave the "networking" section to the actual network engineers and techs.

Damn it Jim, are there not any Network Professionals here anymore!?

/rant :colbert:

Is there some question that you asked that went without comment?

There is a fairly broad spectrum of networking folks here, not all Cisco, cabled / cabling, wireless, cloud, Telco, monitoring, management, design, indoor, outdoor ...

Post your question. If someone can answer it, they usually do. This is not a free consulting service, it's a voluntary participation community.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
It is per the course for a public forum...

Also as a side thought, enterprise is far more difficult to give out "straight answers." For home users there really is only a handful of "right ways" to do it. Enterprise has a lot more going on.

Also there are more of us than you think that come in here that have more than "home router" experience.

Personally my only "RANT" is that I think we should shove all the [home] NAS stuff over to storage since most of it coming in here is closer to "best unit / best HDD in a NAS" etc. No real questions about how to configure them.

I don't even see people asking about VNXe or Netapp in here really.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
By my count, more than half of the replies to this thread so far have been from people that do IT/Network/Systems work professionally.

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
Well, now don't I feel like an asshole....Sorry mod, bad morning vented through keyboard. Will hang head in shame...

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Every once in a while we'll talk enterprise-class stuff, but yeah - I only check the forum once a week because I know it'll be full of "will QoS help my frag count?" or "help me pick a router" type of questions. And maybe once every two months there's something worth looking at from a networking professional perspective.

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
That's all I was getting at. Rather than post a question I was just going to browse and see if someone had asked anything similar and after the 5th or 6th gaming or home router question I saw I just blew a small gasket.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
That's all I was getting at. Rather than post a question I was just going to browse and see if someone had asked anything similar and after the 5th or 6th gaming or home router question I saw I just blew a small gasket.

Just look at the AT community as a whole. There are definitely more PC enthusiasts here than there are IT Pros. Even the anandtech website (not forums) is geared towards the home consumer.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Well, now don't I feel like an asshole....Sorry mod, bad morning vented through keyboard. Will hang head in shame...

No big deal, really. I understand.

It was a serious question; was there something you asked that was not addressed?

If you thought I was being snarky, I apologize, that was not the intention. There really are some old networking farts here (I started in the eighties with Novell 1.1, IBM broadband, ArcNet, AST, Corvus, etc. with a VAR for ten years during the Golden Age of Networking (i.e., pre-Microsoft ... j/k)).

Lots of Enterprise (or Ex-Enterprise) folks here too.

Sometimes it takes a while, but unless it's a real lame question, someone usually gets some kind of answer back to you.

If you're interested in getting a discussion about some aspect of Enterprise networking, kick something off that you're interested in. I can guarantee that there are a variety of folks that can contribute, for nearly any topic.

...and finally, it's a forum convention that if a Mod participates in a thread, they're doing so a "regular" user. "Participates" as in dialog, not requests or corrective action.

Last edited:

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
I have two network wires to choose from to connect my cable to my PC.
Which wire has less lag for gaming, a yellow one or a gray one?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
"abc123" same as it always was.

Nah, I logged on from my car and changed it while there last week....but now, I don't remember. Just hold the reset button down for 30 seconds, enter everything new and leave the password blank.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I have found some good information here before when I was in a bind. Being into more general consulting, I lack specialization. I have found this forum quite helpful both directly and indirectly when delving into something I know little about.

There are so many facets to networking, I don't think one can expect this forum to answer or assist with every unique scenario...

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have two network wires to choose from to connect my cable to my PC.
Which wire has less lag for gaming, a yellow one or a gray one?

You either need glossy black with extra large fins (connectors) or cherry red with flames and stripes. That will make everything go faster.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Is there some question that you asked that went without comment?
This is not a free consulting service, it's a voluntary participation community.

+1

----------------
And that brinks me to mention a 3rd group of people that might endup with feelings like the OP describes.

Those are people that are Not IT Pro. they take upon themselves projects (at time for pay) to do Network related projects that they are Not really qualified, or know how to do. They come here and might expect that the project will be done with them through the forum.

Unfortunately these type of ""Good idea"" ends up here with many cold shoulders.

:cool:

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I agree, I would personally like to see a sticky about what home router/wireless to buy. This question is asked 100 times over and doesnt add a whole lot to the board overall.