Rand Paul: Cut Defence Dept by 9%, State Dept budget by 125%, Indian Affairs by 100%

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I really have no business posting this but it was funny enough that I thought I'd share it. Unlike his father who may be prone to some quackery but is in generally amazingly fair and moral, Rand Paul seems intent on becoming a joke from day one.

The Economist - Rand Paul swings for the fences

On Thursday, newly arrived Kentucky senator Rand Paul submitted a bill in the Senate that deserves at least a modicum of scrutiny (which is more than it has so far received), if only as a sign of the kinds of thinking that are going around in tea-party circles. Mr Paul proposed to cut $500 billion out of the 2011 federal budget. He would accomplish this almost entirely through across-the-board flat-sum cuts to agency budgets, without specifying what the results of those cuts might be.

I think Mr Paul's proposal deserves to be assessed with the same level of detail and judiciousness with which he approached the proposal itself, or in fact rather more, so I started out taking a look at what percentage cuts he assigned to different government departments.

For the Defence Department, Mr Paul proposes to cut the budget (including war operations) by $64 billion, which based on current projected FY 2011 spending of $721 billion is a cut of less than 9%. How does that compare to, say, the State Department? Let's see:

SEC. 15. STATE.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Including reductions made by subsection (b), amounts made available to the Department of State for fiscal year 2011 are reduced on a pro rata basis by the amount required to bring total reduction to $20,321,000,000.

To figure that in terms of percentages, let's take a look at the Department of State's FY 2011 budget justification.

The FY 2011 budget request for all Department of State appropriations totals $16.419 billion.

Okay, that must be the wrong figure. Giving Mr Paul the benefit of the doubt and assuming he is not trying to cut the State Department's budget by 125%, he must be referring to the combined budget for the State Department and USAID, which according to the president's February 2010 proposal would have totaled $52.8 billion. That would mean a cut of 38%.

And I really ought to stop there. But I won't! Because Mr Paul's bill just keeps getting more ridiculous the more you read of it. The more specific he tries to be, the more problems he creates for himself. For example, Section 12 (5):

(5) REPEAL.—All accounts and programs of the Bureau of Indian Affairs are defunded effective on the date of enactment of this Act.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs' Office of Justice Services has primary responsibility for investigation of crimes that occur within Indian country, as Indian tribes are recognised as separate nations with treaty relationships with the United States government. About a quarter of the police and justice programmes in Indian country are run directly by the BIA, while the other three-quarters are partially or wholly funded by the BIA but run by the tribes themselves.

Mr Paul's plan leaves it unclear who would investigate crimes that occur on Indian territory, or who would run jails on Indian territory if the OJS's Bureau of Corrections were defunded.

SEC. 27. MISCELLANEOUS BUDGET SAVINGS.
The following programs shall be implemented or repealed in fiscal year 2011 with the savings provided:
(1) Collect delinquent taxes from Federal Employees, $3,000,000,000. ...
(7) Unused Federal assets shall be sold, $19,000,000,000.

Why not (8) A bake sale shall be held, $100,000,000,000? Can you seriously put this sort of stuff in federal legislation? You don't have to explain which "unused Federal assets" you're talking about, or which "assets" qualify as "unused"? And "Collect delinquent taxes from Federal Employees"? How about we collect delinquent taxes from everybody else, too? That'd net us somewhere in the neighbourhood of $345 billion, according to the IRS's most recent estimate, which was for the 2001 tax gap.

But maybe there's some reason why you can't just wave a magic wand and collect delinquent taxes. Like, maybe the people who are delinquent don't have the money in their bank accounts? Or maybe they have some due-process rights?

Mr Paul's bill won't get a vote, and there's no sign he ever intended it to be taken seriously. The question is why he pulls stunts like this, if he expects people to take him seriously.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Just a reminder that spidey loves Rand Paul. The resemblance is uncanny.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Also, Rand is learning that to become popular amongst the GOP, you gotta follow the likes of Michelle Bachman (bathshit crazy) and stupid as hell to boot.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
We voted for him specifically because of stuff like this. GO Paul, GO! Doing the will of We The People!

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I like the bake sale idea.

I wonder if he ever thought about cutting SS, medicare, and medicaid... probably will save us a little bit more than cutting BIA

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
We voted for him specifically because of stuff like this. GO Paul, GO! Doing the will of We The People!

You voted him in to be bad with numbers? Go fig.

Then again, you thinking 25 GB and 40 GB are reasonable monthly caps to cable internet, it's no wonder.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

I wonder if he ever thought about cutting SS, medicare, and medicaid... probably will save us a little bit more than cutting BIA

Rand Paul is pro-medicare and pro-agriculture subsidies since his constituents in KY are very dependent on both.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

Rolling Stone - The Truth About the Tea Party

Early in his campaign, Dr. Paul, the son of the uncompromising libertarian hero Ron Paul, denounced Medicare as "socialized medicine." But this spring, when confronted with the idea of reducing Medicare payments to doctors like himself — half of his patients are on Medicare — he balked.

This candidate, a man ostensibly so against government power in all its forms that he wants to gut the Americans With Disabilities Act and abolish the departments of Education and Energy, was unwilling to reduce his own government compensation, for a very logical reason. "Physicians," he said, "should be allowed to make a comfortable living."

Those of us who might have expected Paul's purist followers to abandon him in droves have been disappointed; Paul is now the clear favorite to win in November.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

You voted for him because he doesn't do complete analysis of ideas or because he doesn't consider consequences of actions? Or is it because he can't do math and makes up numbers?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As a family with a Congressman and now a Senator to boast of, the Paul family have a soapbox and a salary.

But no one listened to the advice of Ron Paul even when the GOP held the house and its unlikely that anyone will listen the the bleating of Rand Paul when the dems still hold the Senate.

I will leave it as exercise for Mitch McConnell to tell ole Rand to STFU and quit embarrassing the GOP.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Rand Paul, Michele Bachmann for Pres./VP 2012. Damn, made my skin crawl and a feeling of impending doom washed over me just thinking about it. I better go watch some slapstick comedy on FOX "news" to make me forget that episode of Nightmare on Pennsylvania Ave. ever happened in my head.

That guy is so deep in Tea Party Land he forgot he's a republican first and foremost, and that all roads lead to Mitch McConnell.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Rand Paul, Michele Bachmann for Pres./VP 2012. Damn, made my skin crawl and a feeling of impending doom washed over me just thinking about it. I better go watch some slapstick comedy on FOX "news" to make me forget that episode of Nightmare on Pennsylvania Ave. ever happened in my head.

That guy is so deep in Tea Party Land he forgot he's a republican first and foremost, and that all roads lead to Mitch McConnell.

I'm a big donor to Mitch and have been for some time. He got the smack down in the primaries and then again in the general election where We The People spoke loud and clear. I've written Mitch many times on how he needs to pay attention to Paul's ideas and campaign and realize that's what The People want. So far his responses to my letters make me think he's starting to get it. Wife was even on a plane with him a while ago and reiterated how he needs to listen to Rand Paul and stop Obama and he agreed he would.

Mitch might be old, but he ain't dumb. He's a very likable guy with strong principles.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if only he would cut the state department's budget by 9000% we would have no problems.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sounds good to me. Gotta start somewhere, the specifics can always be changed.v $500 billion is a good start though. Getting rid HUD is a good choice, cut dept of education, also good choice.
Funny how people talk about the debt so much and then when people talk about cutting something theres this hysteria about how important those programs are and we can't cut them blah blah blah
$500 billion is only part of the problem (1/3), shit is gonna have to get cut one way or another, get ready liberals, because weather you like it or not, things are going to get cutr. Either by us willingly or simply running out of money.

Last edited:

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm starting to thing spidey is a parody of a teaparty right wing fruitcake. Nobody could be that off the wall.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I'm a big donor to Mitch and have been for some time. He got the smack down in the primaries and then again in the general election where We The People spoke loud and clear. I've written Mitch many times on how he needs to pay attention to Paul's ideas and campaign and realize that's what The People want. So far his responses to my letters make me think he's starting to get it. Wife was even on a plane with him a while ago and reiterated how he needs to listen to Rand Paul and stop Obama and he agreed he would.

Mitch might be old, but he ain't dumb. He's a very likable guy with strong principles.

It never ceases to amaze me that spidey is able to completely ignore the fact that Rand Paul selectively endorses or opposes government spending. Oh that's right, it's only 'good' government spending if it helps spidey or the people in Kentucky.

I'm sure Mitch wants to learn everything he can from Rand on how to pull this off and fool people like you.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It never ceases to amaze me that spidey is able to completely ignore the fact that Rand Paul selectively endorses or opposes government spending. Oh that's right, it's only 'good' government spending if it helps spidey or the people in Kentucky.

I'm sure Mitch wants to learn everything he can from Rand on how to pull this off and fool people like you.

Actually he was chastised in the campaign for saying he didn't believe in farm subsidies. Face it, he told The People what he wanted to do, We agree with it, we gave sent him to washington in the Historic Elections of 2010. We like what he's doing.

The same as nobody should be surprised at obama's destruction of our nation, he promised he would during his campaign and idiots voted for him. Now the salvation of slashing government spending via Rand Paul is just doing what he said he would, except for the betterment of our nation instead of the rampage of Hussein Obama.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Actually he was chastised in the campaign for saying he didn't believe in farm subsidies. Face it, he told The People what he wanted to do, We agree with it, we gave sent him to washington in the Historic Elections of 2010. We like what he's doing.

The same as nobody should be surprised at obama's destruction of our nation, he promised he would during his campaign and idiots voted for him. Now the salvation of slashing government spending via Rand Paul is just doing what he said he would, except for the betterment of our nation instead of the rampage of Hussein Obama.

And then he backtracked and said he was more 'moderate' on the issue.

Also,

But on Thursday evening, the ophthalmologist from Bowling Green said there was one thing he would not cut: Medicare physician payments.

In fact, Paul — who says 50% of his patients are on Medicare — wants to end cuts to physician payments under a program now in place called the sustained growth rate, or SGR. “Physicians should be allowed to make a comfortable living,” he told a gathering of neighbors in the back yard of Chris and Linda Wakild, just behind the 10th hole of a golf course.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/05/14/rand-paul-cut-spending-but-not-medicare-doctor-payments/

Looking out for his own, LOL.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Stalker alert! :eek:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Er, why would you cut payments to physicians, thereby making it more difficult for people to find a physician who will take Medicare, when there's a shortage of physicians in the first place?

How F'ing absolutely stupid would that be?

We need tons more Dr.'s, not less of them.

Chuck

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Spidey07 you have no clothes on.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ]
It must just kill you then to know over half of surveyed Americans approve of Obama's performance, and it's trending upwards. Meanwhile the Tea Party's approval rating remains below 40%. The plurality of Americans reject it ... and you. Ouch, huh?

I can see why you like Paul, however. You have much in common. Your enthusiasm for "We the People" holds only when We agree with you. We increasingly don't. Similarly, Paul is all for cutting government spending ... except when it fills his pocket. (Seems you displayed a similar double standard when the government spending fills school administrators' pockets.) And of course you both suck with facts and figures. In short, you are both self-serving, hypocritical ideologues who care far less about America and taxpayers than you do about yourselves.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Er, why would you cut payments to physicians, thereby making it more difficult for people to find a physician who will take Medicare, when there's a shortage of physicians in the first place?

How F'ing absolutely stupid would that be?

We need tons more Dr.'s, not less of them.

Chuck

The shortages of physicians is because the AMA pursued policies limiting supply of physicians thus artificially raising wages.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-02-doctor-shortage_x.htm

The AMA only recently reversed course on it's 'doom and gloom' prediction of an oversupply of doctors.