Ralph Nader on fox last night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Chunkee
So easy to stab a person. He is a straight shooter, so lets condemn him for saying what he feels instead of rollicking and lauding at his candor. Good lord, you people need to get a real grip on things....seriously. You think the other 'mannequin' candidates shoveling the gruel you all want to hear is doing you any good. Keep flipping those channels and living in the dream world. Kudos to those who say it like it is. Fuck the political correctness crap. He made a literary reference, big deal. I am certain most of you momos would make some excuse for someone else that was more popular or aligned to your mantras. Simple fact, Freedom of Speech. If a presidential candidate can stand before millions of people and lie to you to get elected, then why cannot a presidential candidate shoot his opinions without the sugar coating necessary for most of you dumbass droogs to swallow?

Are you kidding? This is another desperate ploy for attention by a man who has nothing left to say, but who desperately wants the limelight.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
1. The term "Uncle Tom" is just really bad and even if you say it without racist intent, it's hard to ignore it (see "porch monkey").

Maybe Nader is just taking it back?

I have an uncle Tom and I'd like it if it wasn't associated so poorly myself! :Q

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
While I do agree with a lot of thing Nadar says about US Politics, this is why he and other people like him will never see public office.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
From Wiki:
Uncle Tom is a pejorative for a black person who is perceived by others as behaving in a subservient manner to White American authority figures, or as seeking ingratiation with them by way of unnecessary accommodation.

It is commonly used to describe black people whose political views or allegiances are considered by their critics as detrimental to blacks as a group.

I think his analogy was a pretty decent one and was meant to be sensational but not offensive. I have a lot of optimism for the Obama Administration, but that is all on the assumption that he doesn't do what ever politician does and sell out. I think Nader's feelings were this. Will he put up all he said or is he just going to be another shill.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Shepherd Smith is from Fox's news division, often eclipsed by all the commentary shows. Fox "News" is no more slanted to the right than CNN/ABC/etc is slanted to the left. I think he does a fine job as a journalist.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: jonks
So easy to stab a person. He is a straight shooter, so lets condemn him for saying what he feels instead of rollicking and lauding at his candor. Good lord, you people need to get a real grip on things....seriously. You think the other 'mannequin' candidates shoveling the gruel you all want to hear is doing you any good. Keep flipping those channels and living in the dream world. Kudos to those who say it like it is. Fuck the political correctness crap. He made a literary reference, big deal. I am certain most of you momos would make some excuse for someone else that was more popular or aligned to your mantras. Simple fact, Freedom of Speech. If a presidential candidate can stand before millions of people and lie to you to get elected, then why cannot a presidential candidate shoot his opinions without the sugar coating necessary for most of you dumbass droogs to swallow?

Candor is laudible. Offensive and insensitive rhetoric is not.

I mean, I could go to a funeral and tell the wife of the decesaed that her husband is a scumbag, that's my right I guess, and if he was a scumbag it would even have the benefit of being true. What it would not be is a laudible act.

Nader may or may not have something to say worth listening to. But if you come off like a dickhead no one wants to hear you. Speech is free but not without consequence.

Keep a dreaming in your dream world.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Candor is laudible. Offensive and insensitive rhetoric is not.

I mean, I could go to a funeral and tell the wife of the decesaed that her husband is a scumbag, that's my right I guess, and if he was a scumbag it would even have the benefit of being true. What it would not be is a laudible act.

Nader may or may not have something to say worth listening to. But if you come off like a dickhead no one wants to hear you. Speech is free but not without consequence.

Keep a dreaming in your dream world.

Nader is president only in his dream world.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
"Look I don't like bullies like you. You can pull the plug on me if you want," said Nader. "I said that's the question he (Obama) has to answer. He can become a great president, or he can become a toadie for the corporate powers that have brought both parties to their knees."

I guess calling a spade a spade is detestable now. Just pathetic. Screw Shepard and his moronic aghast reaction. What is he, some nitwit from 50's? Good lord, he could have used that professionally for some qualification for the sentiments being said, but no, he had to sensationalize it and make the mountain out of a mole hill. Bunch of crap.

Nader says would a real person in office should be saying. Go ahead with your spoons and dig deep for the same regurgitated crap lies, it is just a different flavor this time. Get real sheeple and wake up. This country was founded on the very aspect that Nader has the right to say it. Idiot Shepard...Tell him to take of his panties and show us his mangina.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"Look I don't like bullies like you. You can pull the plug on me if you want," said Nader. "I said that's the question he (Obama) has to answer. He can become a great president, or he can become a toadie for the corporate powers that have brought both parties to their knees."

I guess calling a spade a spade is detestable now. Just pathetic. Screw Shepard and his moronic aghast reaction. What is he, some nitwit from 50's? Good lord, he could have used that professionally for some qualification for the sentiments being said, but no, he had to sensationalize it and make the mountain out of a mole hill. Bunch of crap.

Nader says would a real person in office should be saying. Go ahead with your spoons and dig deep for the same regurgitated crap lies, it is just a different flavor this time. Get real sheeple and wake up. This country was founded on the very aspect that Nader has the right to say it. Idiot Shepard...Tell him to take of his panties and show us his mangina.

You are either deliberately obtuse or sadly dense. If he called Obama a "toadie" in his original quote no one would have been offended. Uppity, uncle tom, etc, are racially tinged words and phrases and to use them on the night the first black president is elected demonstrates an incredibly tone deaf sensitivity to America and its history.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: SirStev0
From Wiki:
Uncle Tom is a pejorative for a black person who is perceived by others as behaving in a subservient manner to White American authority figures, or as seeking ingratiation with them by way of unnecessary accommodation.

It is commonly used to describe black people whose political views or allegiances are considered by their critics as detrimental to blacks as a group.

I think his analogy was a pretty decent one and was meant to be sensational but not offensive. I have a lot of optimism for the Obama Administration, but that is all on the assumption that he doesn't do what ever politician does and sell out. I think Nader's feelings were this. Will he put up all he said or is he just going to be another shill.

I agree. Nader raises the exact same question I have. Is Obama going to be an Uncle Tom for Corporations or is he going to be McSame. The language is right and the question profoundly important. I can't see the steam this has generated except in those who can't think. I rather like Smith and can't see where he was trying to go with this. There was zero racism in the remark that I felt or saw. I think maybe the politically correct have maybe gone off their rockers.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
"To put it very simply, he is our first African-American president, or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he is going to be Uncle Sam for this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporations."

What's the problem, it sounds like a witty double-entendre to me. But let's not consider the implications of the president playing the bitch for giant corporations, let us instead focus on the racial aspect because racism is sexy and will bring more viewers.

edit: holy shit what's wrong with Nader's eye :shocked:

I agree that the meaning is more important than the words, but Nader deliberately used incendiary language to attract attention to what he was saying.

You can't purposely use language that's meant to attract attention, and then complain when the language you used attracts too much attention and overshadows your point. It was a calculated risk, and he lost. Move on.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
You are either deliberately obtuse or sadly dense.
I was thinking the same of you. Despite your claims to the contrary, Nader didn't call obama any names in that quote. Rather, he simply pointed out that Obama is a point where he can choice to be a man of the people or a toadie for The Man.

Of course the Fox crew is up in arms, they want Obama to be an Uncle Tom, but calling that what it is isn't going to help them get what they want.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I think the point is twofold:

1. The term "Uncle Tom" is just really bad and even if you say it without racist intent, it's hard to ignore it (see "porch monkey").

2. There are a million ways Nader could have phrased that sentence and he chose the most tasteless one.

see "taking it back".

Feb 10, 2000
I agree this is a legitimate person for someone in Nader's position to be asking, but as usual he showed all the sensitivity and humanity of a pavement saw. I have long since tired of Nader's narcissism and dismissiveness, and I simply don't believe that a man of his intellect didn't understand the impact the term "Uncle Tom" would have. He's a creep and long past accomplishing anything positive for this country IMO. I don't think it's PC hypersensitivity to be offended by this, and I am.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
"To put it very simply, he is our first African-American president, or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he is going to be Uncle Sam for this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporations."

What's the problem, it sounds like a witty double-entendre to me. But let's not consider the implications of the president playing the bitch for giant corporations, let us instead focus on the racial aspect because racism is sexy and will bring more viewers.

edit: holy shit what's wrong with Nader's eye :shocked:

I agree that the meaning is more important than the words, but Nader deliberately used incendiary language to attract attention to what he was saying.

You can't purposely use language that's meant to attract attention, and then complain when the language you used attracts too much attention and overshadows your point. It was a calculated risk, and he lost. Move on.

Maybe Shep's Mom spanked him for calling her a bitch. Whatever the reason, if you even look at people who profoundly hate themselves, you can trigger a hostile reaction. So this notion of incendiary language is a crock. Incendiary doesn't occur until one is sensitized. Uncle Tom doesn't trigger anything in me but a black who is bought out by whites.

Is Obama going to be a sell his soul to corporations? I won't be surprised if he does.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of other things wrong with America that also need fixing and I'm hoping he might get to some of that.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I agree. Nader raises the exact same question I have. Is Obama going to be an Uncle Tom for Corporations or is he going to be McSame. The language is right and the question profoundly important. I can't see the steam this has generated except in those who can't think. I rather like Smith and can't see where he was trying to go with this. There was zero racism in the remark that I felt or saw. I think maybe the politically correct have maybe gone off their rockers.

What? Is Nader some kind of social retard? He could have pointed out plenty of corporate donors but instead choose a well-known racial slur.

I suppose he could have done it just to get air time but honestly this is worse than nothing.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
You are either deliberately obtuse or sadly dense.
I was thinking the same of you. Despite your claims to the contrary, Nader didn't call obama any names in that quote. Rather, he simply pointed out that Obama is a point where he can choice to be a man of the people or a toadie for The Man.

Of course the Fox crew is up in arms, they want Obama to be an Uncle Tom, but calling that what it is isn't going to help them get what they want.

Congrats, you're the third person in this thread to fail to recognize that referring to the first black president as an uncle tom on the eve of his election might be insensitive and poor form for someone who aspires to be president himself. If he wanted to call obama a 'toadie' he was free to do so. He didn't, he used a racially loaded term and now is reaping the rewards.

Despite your assertion, Nader did not "simply point out" anything, he elicited exactly the response he wanted, as here we are talking about him. Of course we're talking about how he's a laughing stock which might not have been his intention but whatever.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Congrats, you're the third person in this thread to fail to recognize that referring to the first black president as an uncle tom on the eve of his election might be insensitive and poor form for someone who aspires to be president himself. If he wanted to call obama a 'toadie' he was free to do so. He didn't, he used a racially loaded term and now is reaping the rewards.

Despite your assertion, Nader did not "simply point out" anything, he elicited exactly the response he wanted, as here we are talking about him. Of course we're talking about how he's a laughing stock which might not have been his intention but whatever.
That would be a reasonable argument if Nader had actually called Obama an Uncle Tom, but he didn't.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is outrageous. Ralph Nader, has implied, like the raving Bufo-loving bigot that he is, and, worse yet, on the very night of an successful historical Presidential bid, that Barack Obama is a toady whose hallucinogenic powers to charm are derived from eating those poor creatures. This intolerable insult to toads should not be allowed to stand. Are you with me, toad lovers everywhere. Are we going to allow that slimy old frog to insult us?