Ralph Nader on fox last night

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Wow. I would not have expected that from him. Like they said, he ended his career last night.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
During the entire interview, Smith wanted to talk about Nader's use of words rather than talk for one second about what those words meant in regards to the issues.

Par for the course for today's media.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre
During the entire interview, Smith wanted to talk about Nader's use of words rather than talk for one second about what those words meant in regards to the issues.

Be fair. He used a very incendiary term, and he used it in context of talking about the first black president. He did it intentionally.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Shepard Smith gave Nader every opportunity to clarify his statements, but Nader got defensive and only made himself look foolish. The Uncle Tom reference is more suited to Rush Limbaugh's nasty accusations.

The sad thing is that Jesse Jackson might get the shaft when it comes to passing out patronage jobs, and he'll be saying the same thing.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
What did Nader say?

"To put it very simply, he is our first African-American president, or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he is going to be Uncle Sam for this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporations."

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
What the hell has gotten into Sheppard Smith? He's been acting like a legit journalist lately.

Edit: Sheppard gave Nader every opportunity to change his "Uncle Tom" reference to anything less racially charged....lackey, shill, puppet, whatever....and Nader flat out refused saying that he is standing by using that phrase instead.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
What the hell has gotten into Sheppard Smith? He's been acting like a legit journalist lately.

I know! I was flipping between CNN/MSNBC/FOX last night and he actually did a good job commenting on Obama's victory. It was good stuff.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
He was making a literary reference which has had some negative social implications in the past. I believe it was an apt use of the word for the argument he was trying to make; however, he could have and should have chosen less provocative language--though it would have diminished his point. This is clearly not meant to be a hate-based racial slight, but a comment on the racial aspect of Barack's election; though race-based it remains. It is not to the same level, certainly, as "n!gger" or "nappy-headed hoes," but it is unfortunate all the same. Nader has lost touch with his message and knows it. He is merely trying to regain the spotlight using remarks he assuredly understands are inappropriate. I wish him all the luck in his spiral into oblivion.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: GTKeeper

I know! I was flipping between CNN/MSNBC/FOX last night and he actually did a good job commenting on Obama's victory. It was good stuff.

I actually kept watching Fox's coverage more than the others.

I'm sure some of it was due to the D winning, but I liked that they didn't call states very early. I watched NBC, CBS and ABC all switch their numbers at different times because a state that they called was changed to still be in play.

Sheppard Smith did a very commendable job last night and Fox's coverage was better than the other networks IMO (didn't watch the cable news...only the broadcast versions).

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Something tells me Nader has absolutely no idea how bad the term "Uncle Tom" is. He wanted a snappy one-liner about politicians bowing to corporate interests. Being Nader, he's probably suffering from mild dementia and doesn't even quite understand what's happening at any given time.

I mean, I don't think Nader is actually a racist guy. He's just delusional.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I was going to start a thread on this.
Is the new Sheppard a calculated move by Fox to protect itself from the Dark Avenger? (you know who I mean) Try to put a face on Fox who actually pretends to be fair and balanced?
Of course, anyone who looks at it objectively realizes its still the FoxNews method of we will give you the opinion along with the story. Just like Shep with Joe the Plumber.

Interesting that Fox is now an issue in the Supreme Court as the s-word and f-word may soon be banned on t.v. And at the same time the "Fairness Doctrine" is being re-visited.

I still would rather Fox and the other news organizations give me the news and intelligent analysis in a non-partisan way.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Something tells me Nader has absolutely no idea how bad the term "Uncle Tom" is. He wanted a snappy one-liner about politicians bowing to corporate interests. Being Nader, he's probably suffering from mild dementia and doesn't even quite understand what's happening at any given time.

I mean, I don't think Nader is actually a racist guy. He's just delusional.

It seemed he was going to explain his interpretation of the term at the end until Smith cut him off.

Nonetheless, it's a stupid analogy on his part.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
"To put it very simply, he is our first African-American president, or he will be. And we wish him well. But his choice, basically, is whether he is going to be Uncle Sam for this country, or Uncle Tom for the giant corporations."

What's the problem, it sounds like a witty double-entendre to me. But let's not consider the implications of the president playing the bitch for giant corporations, let us instead focus on the racial aspect because racism is sexy and will bring more viewers.

edit: holy shit what's wrong with Nader's eye :shocked:

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Am I crazy, or is Shepard Smith a moderate? I don't know much about the man.

It seems to me that Nader just doesn't understand the inflammatory nature of the term. He was sincerely trying to explain his position on the matter, referring more to the point rather than the term itself.

All in all, I think Nader's point was clear, but what a seriously poor choice of words.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk

What's the problem, it sounds like a witty double-entendre to me. But let's not consider the implications of the president playing the bitch for giant corporations, let us instead focus on the racial aspect because racism is sexy and will bring more viewers.

edit: holy shit what's wrong with Nader's eye :shocked:

Why do people always argue about this? Every culture has words/phrases that evoke nothing but negative emotions, and a prudent speaker avoids using them. It's not an effective way to communicate your message.

This will never change.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Shep said it perfectly and you don't seem to get it.

"On the night the first African American president is elected, you ask if he'll be Uncle Sam or Uncle Tom?"

There's such a thing as propriety.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I think the point is twofold:

1. The term "Uncle Tom" is just really bad and even if you say it without racist intent, it's hard to ignore it (see "porch monkey").

2. There are a million ways Nader could have phrased that sentence and he chose the most tasteless one.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005

I actually kept watching Fox's coverage more than the others.

I'm sure some of it was due to the D winning, but I liked that they didn't call states very early. I watched NBC, CBS and ABC all switch their numbers at different times because a state that they called was changed to still be in play.

Sheppard Smith did a very commendable job last night and Fox's coverage was better than the other networks IMO (didn't watch the cable news...only the broadcast versions).

Not only that, but he was man enought to say that McCain's ratings started going down after the Palin Couric interview. This is a FACT, and some right wing blowhard on there was trying to convince people otherwise.

Shep was right in saying if McCain ran a down the middle, on the issues campaign, things might have been different.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks

Shep said it perfectly and you don't seem to get it.

"On the night the first African American president is elected, you ask if he'll be Uncle Sam or Uncle Tom?"

There's such a thing as propriety.

Look, I'm not excusing Nader for the words he used. What I am pointing out is that it is the only thing Smith wanted to talk about. Its the only reason he brought Nader on the air. Had Nader used better verbiage, the interview would have never taken place. That's what the media wants, a damn circus, and its no wonder that when it comes to the issues, too many Americans are a bunch of clowns.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
So easy to stab a person. He is a straight shooter, so lets condemn him for saying what he feels instead of rollicking and lauding at his candor. Good lord, you people need to get a real grip on things....seriously. You think the other 'mannequin' candidates shoveling the gruel you all want to hear is doing you any good. Keep flipping those channels and living in the dream world. Kudos to those who say it like it is. Fuck the political correctness crap. He made a literary reference, big deal. I am certain most of you momos would make some excuse for someone else that was more popular or aligned to your mantras. Simple fact, Freedom of Speech. If a presidential candidate can stand before millions of people and lie to you to get elected, then why cannot a presidential candidate shoot his opinions without the sugar coating necessary for most of you dumbass droogs to swallow?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Chunkee
So easy to stab a person. He is a straight shooter, so lets condemn him for saying what he feels instead of rollicking and lauding at his candor. Good lord, you people need to get a real grip on things....seriously. You think the other 'mannequin' candidates shoveling the gruel you all want to hear is doing you any good. Keep flipping those channels and living in the dream world. Kudos to those who say it like it is. Fuck the political correctness crap. He made a literary reference, big deal. I am certain most of you momos would make some excuse for someone else that was more popular or aligned to your mantras. Simple fact, Freedom of Speech. If a presidential candidate can stand before millions of people and lie to you to get elected, then why cannot a presidential candidate shoot his opinions without the sugar coating necessary for most of you dumbass droogs to swallow?

Candor is laudible. Offensive and insensitive rhetoric is not.

I mean, I could go to a funeral and tell the wife of the decesaed that her husband is a scumbag, that's my right I guess, and if he was a scumbag it would even have the benefit of being true. What it would not be is a laudible act.

Nader may or may not have something to say worth listening to. But if you come off like a dickhead no one wants to hear you. Speech is free but not without consequence.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
I'm with you Chunkee. It's a literary reference, I would hope a soon-to-be President has much thicker skin than that. There was a legitimate question there that was totally avoided, and that seemed to be the plan from the get go. They invited Nader on so Shepard could blankly stare at him and effectively repeat "How could you?!" and then cut him off and say goodbye? I'm glad I avoid news media on TV, it's hard enough avoiding pointless shit like this in print. I appreciate Nader straight shooting it and getting right to the point. Shepard on the other hand looks like the type of "guy"(I use this term loosely here) that would cry like a little kid if you slapped him upside his head.

I dread the next at least 4 years of people calling foul when someone inadvertently eats an Oreo in Obama's presence.